Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-30-2011, 12:11 PM   #101
ford31

Default Re: At my wits end, with this no-start problem!

fire and fuel should do something,can you go back to original for test,make sure you are not to far in where threads to dist,check input volts at coil (batt volts)power up switch lay coil wire close to ground engine ect with points open short with screw driver see what spark gap is,will gas run out of carb open drain if Zenith
ford31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #102
sturgis 39

He sold the car!!! His wife is sick and he needs the money

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:54 PM   #103
JBR

Bob,
I wish you and your wife the best of luck with the issues you are facing and hope she has a speedy recovery.

I am sorry to hear that you sold the car. Maybe you can get another someday. I realize how perplexing some mechanical issues can be having dealt with a few of my own.

The best of luck to you and your wife. Have a Merry Christmas.
Jon
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:25 PM   #104
J Franklin

Could you ask the buyer of your car to post what he did to get it running and not leave us in suspense Please. Good luck with all that is happening in your life now.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #105
Bobs29ModelA

Hi Jon, thank you for your good wishes. We do have a tough road ahead of us, for sure.

I'd like to point out that I do indeed still have another car, as I'd also recently bought Hardtimes' '29 Sport Coupe, to add to my "stable". His turned-out to be much nicer than expected, and needed nothing else to enjoy her, which is a blessing. However, it was also at the very same time that the '29 was being delivered that we unexpectedly got word that two more surgeries would be required... just when we thought she was already on the road to recovery. It was then that I realized that I'd need more time to concentrate on my wife's issues, plus some extra money to help with the out-of-pocket costs, to get through the coming months. The result of all this was that I then had to make the decision to sell the '31 coupe. Since she still wasn't running, it was a no-brainer that she would be the one to go. However, I really did plan to hang on to her and ultimately get her going again, as anyone who knows me knows that I really don't like giving-up when it comes to a challenge like this. However, it also seemed like the right (and logical) thing to do, thanks to the new circumstances, so I did so.

Anyway, I should be able to hang on to the '29, because if I suddenly find myself in even more financial difficulties in the coming months for some reason, I would probably sell my restored '67 Camaro before I would sell-off the '29. I mean, as great as the '60's-era muscle cars are, these Model A's have personally become more fun for me to drive and tinker with, than my Camaro could ever be. I think that really says something for the Model A, huh?
Bobs29ModelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 02:47 PM   #106
Bobs29ModelA

Oh, and yes, I had already asked the buyer to let me know what he finds on the '31 to get her going again... and I will definately share that with everyone, should he follow-through and get back to me! "Enquiring minds want to know", as the old advertisement goes!
Old 11-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #107
marc hildebrant

Wouldn't a Running 1931 Model A be worth more money than a broken 1931 Model A ?

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #108
Bill in Al

Bob,good luck with your family.I had looked at HARDTIMES '29 pix before you bought it. A really fine car I would have loved to own myself! Enjoy!!
Bill in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #109
V4F

Wouldn't a Running 1931 Model A be worth more money than a broken 1931 Model A ?

i think it depends on the buyer ! .................... steve
Old 11-30-2011, 09:15 PM   #110
Bobs29ModelA

Unhappy Re: At my wits end, with this no-start problem!

Of course a running car would fetch more; however, I had to get it out of my driveway ASAP, as the wife was giving me grief over it sitting outside under a car cover while it was up for sale. I have no regrets, just bigger things on my plate right now, concerning my wife. Coincidentally, I just got a call from her, and now some sort of "cancer marker" number has gone up, in her recent lab tests. This on top of the two upcoming surgeries, which were NOT related to any kind of cancer but another serious condition. Geez, it's like a triple-whammy these last couple of weeks. Anyway, my thanks to those that have shared their concern. After today, I may not be on the forum for a while, so I hope you'll all understand. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2011, 06:41 AM   #111
gweilbaker

Prayers for your wife.

GW
gweilbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:53 AM   #112
1931 flamingo

Prayers going out for your Wife..............and for You. It's a burden no one needs.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #113
Bobs29ModelA

My sincere thanks to all for their concern!

FYI, it looks like I will be spending the holidays "living" at the hospital with her, as they've scheduled her surgery on the 23rd, and then she'll be in there for 2 or 3 days before they'll let me take her home. It's going to be pretty strange spending Christmas Eve and Christmas Day at a hospital, instead of at home where we belong! (We're now planning to have our Christmas dinner and gift-exchange with the kids and grandkids a few days before she goes in, out of necessity).

Anyway, I can only hope that next year's Christmas will be a heck of a lot better than this one is shaping-up to be! Ha!
Old 12-06-2011, 10:12 PM   #114
Fred K-OR

Your situations brings back memories of some 60 years ago when my mother went through a similar situation at Christmas. It does change Christmas for that year but remember, there will be future years when you will enjoy Christmas with your family.

Good luck with your situation.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:30 AM   #115
BudP

I had a similar experience with my wife a few years ago. Christmas at the hospital can be difficult. But time passes and things change. This year she and I are enjoying the children and grandchildren at our home. Tolerate the immediate situation but anticipate with hope the future.
BudP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #116
Bobs29ModelA

Sure, I know it's only a temporary thing, and the bottom line is that this should help her on the road to recovery... so that we can deal with the next issue. I have to say, however, that at least I get to spend Christmas with her one way or the other... it could always be worse!

Thanks again for your support and encouragement!
Old 12-08-2011, 07:34 PM   #117
ct1932ford

Merry Christmas and God Bless! Prayers for your family.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #118
bobpo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1932ford View Post
Merry Christmas and God Bless! Prayers for your family.
The same goes from my wife and me. Our prayers are with you.
bobpo is offline   Reply With Quote