Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-25-2016, 01:21 PM   #21
tubman

Default Re: Is this worth trying to repair (block crack)?

I've never had the occasion to use any of the new materials/techniques that have been developed over the last few years, but from doing some research and watching a lot of "How-to" videos on "YouTube" it looks like we are light years ahead from where we were when I was young, when the only thing to do with a broken cast iron piece was to toss it. I've got a Mercury 4 bolt intake with a chunk out of it that I am considering fixing as well as a couple of 8BA crank pulleys with small chunks missing.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 08:24 AM   #22
zedbyers

I do believe it has 2 freeze cracks. I found this thing at a repair shop in Moscow Maine. it was used in their tow truck up until the mid-70s when I am told it was removed, running, but 'making a noise'. I am sure it sat outside on the ground, and looking at the top end of it water definitely made its way into it.

when i spun it upside down on the stand a good gallon or so of water drained out of it.

The one side may be a casting flaw, i still think it is a crack, but as you guys said it would take removal of some material to know. The other side while it looked better in those first pics posted is probably a little more troublesome.

I am no welder, not to mention i don't have the tools, but i do think this can be repaired. will tear it down as i get time and try to find a welding shop that can take it on. i love that TIG video with the repair of the Cat block. i feel like i need to salvage this thing.

like was mentioned i could spend months chasing craig's list/ebay or other sources just to end up in the same boat every time.

here is another pic:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B98...ew?usp=sharing

zedbyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-26-2016, 11:27 AM   #23
Russ/40

Hmmmmm, I dont like the way that looks. Seems to go a long way across the block. Have it magnafluxed. I would not use it without both mag and pressure testing.

You need to accurately define the start and stop points on the cracks. I think they go further than we thought.

Last edited by Russ/40; 06-27-2016 at 05:31 PM.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:53 PM   #24
John R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
Which is more cost effective , buying ten blocks at $200 a piece(if your lucky) and finding one good one, or taking the time and money to fix one block?
2X on fix the one you have. It's hard to diagnose that crack without seeing it in person. However, a simple freeze crack on the oil pan rail is totally reparable. I took me 9 blocks to find one with no cracks (but I learned a lot in the process).

Last edited by John R; 06-26-2016 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Clarification
John R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:49 PM   #25
JonC

The idea of arc or tig welding a cast iron block has been around since the first nickel rod was seen. I have never seen a real success story, but have seen many more crack. The idea of a colder weld with tig is a problem since cast iron sucks heat away faster than most people can believe. The problem with any weld on cast is the amount of heat that is needed to get a good weld and or any penetration along with the contamination in the iron itself. Brazing is a time proven way along with slowly cooling to allow blocks to be saved. Properly done the braze will follow the heat source and fill the entire crack surface and provide not only a mechanical hold but also a chemical bond between the surface area of the iron and brass. Ultimately there is no guarentee that it will work, but I have seen it give very good results when welding failed. Please investigate further before selecting your method.

Last edited by JonC; 06-27-2016 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling sucks
JonC is offline   Reply With Quote