Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-30-2013, 07:41 AM   #1
GOW

Default bias ply tires

any one have advice/opinion on how many hours or distance would you drive a 1940 sedan with new bias ply tires and tubes at highway speeds 55-60 mph. do I need to worry about heat build up in the tubes.and popping...I remember when it was a trip to drive 50 miles ...and the days when flat tires were common......any thoughts?
GOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Brendan

Default Re: bias ply tires

I have Bias ply tires on my 36 pickup, I have driven it 200 miles in one day, that is the most in one day and had no trouble. I was in Tahoe at the Grand national and asked people who drove there cars if they had any trouble, and the trouble was mechanical if they had any. no tire trouble

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
37 Coupe

That is what a spare tire is for.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:54 AM   #4
Old Henry

I have only ever run bias ply on Old Henry and have taken many long road trips driving all day hundreds of miles with no problems. Just make sure the air pressure is right on. I did ruin a tire once on a trip when it leaked way down and I didn't realize it until it was too late. It just went out of round. I still used it the rest of the trip and Coker replaced it for free when I got home.

Last edited by Old Henry; 06-30-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #5
felix37

I have driven my Firestone/Coker bias ply tires well over 500 miles a day on several occasions. The Bias ply tires built today use modern materials in the original molds. The only real difference between the radials and modern bias ply's are the driving characteristics.
The Great Race is finishing today, many of the contestants have made the journey from St.Paul Minnesota to Mobile Alabama using bias ply tires.... drive em!
felix37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #6
danliveshere

I drove near 100,000 miles over 20 years and only ever put my spare on to use it before it went hard and ruined, and we have pretty hot temperatures here in Northern Australia. Keep your air pressures spot on and drive it!!
(obviously different sets of bias tyres, but never had a flat)

Last edited by danliveshere; 06-30-2013 at 10:22 AM. Reason: added text
danliveshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
J Franklin

Until radial tires were introduced in the USA everybody drove everywhere on bias ply or solid tires.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
Vic Piano

Twenty two years ago I drove our '39 CS from Long Island, NY to Tampa, Florida on a set of 6.50x16 Goodyear’s that were at least ten years old at the time... The car had a 6.00x16 spare but I never had to use it. Now I run 6.00x16 Radial tires without tubes on the '39 CS, a much nicer ride and the total elimination of the "Bias Tire Boogie". Go ahead and drive the tires & wheels off of the '40.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #9
teejay99

Only issue I had back in the day was trying to save a few bucks on 2 ply bias tires . Bad move ......4 ply bias ( I liked Allstate ) were very reliable .

T
teejay99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #10
Tim Brown

I drove my 34 3w from California to Kentucky and back on Firestone Bias ply tires without any trouble. I put 40k miles on that car with the same tires....
Tim Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:14 PM   #11
Fe26

I did 70,000 miles on one set before I sold that pickup truck.
Fe26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
Lawson Cox

In August 1992 I drove my 39 Mercury coupe from Atlanta, Ga to Coeur dAlene, Idaho and back on 600:16 bias ply tires. I also drove that same Mercury Coupe, on the same tires, from Dearborn, MI to Atlanta, GA, straight through, at 65 to 70 MPH, only stopping for gas, meals and potty breaks. 800 miles in one day. My buddy Jerry Grayson was right with me all the way in his 39 Standard Coupe. Both of us on 6:00X16 bias ply tires. No problems at all.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #13
Blu Dice

I'm still driving on my old real Firestones 670 x 15 (+15 yrs old) w/ tubes. They are better than the new ones, and will probably last forever. I can't believe what I see at the car shows now days - tires that are 5-6 years old with cracks! That sucks!
Blu Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:53 PM   #14
Old Henry

Here's me in September 2006 inflating the old bias ply tires of Old Henry after he'd sat outside by the side of mom's house for 31 years. As you can see, they were all sunk in the ground and had been flat for 30 years. All 4 tires inflated just fine and I ran the car on them during the restoration process for a year before replacing them with new white wall bias ply tires.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:24 PM   #15
Ol' Ron

The nices part of Bias ply tires is: you can run then on the railroad tracks. The radials will fall off, the bias ply wrap around.
Ol' Ron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #16
Fibber Mcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Ron View Post
The nices part of Bias ply tires is: you can run then on the railroad tracks. The radials will fall off, the bias ply wrap around.
Do we want to know why you are driving on the railroad tracks?
Old 06-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #17
Old Henry

I don't think my bias ply tires would wrap since the centers on mine are 59" and railroad tracks are only 56½".
Old 06-30-2013, 11:45 PM   #18
PhoenixFear

I'm on the fence about this, I was sold on getting radials with smoothie rims and putting disc brakes on up front but it may be easier and cheaper to just fix what I have. I have a set of 30+ year old Riverside 525-550-17s on right now for rolling the truck around. Since I don't really expect to go on the highway like I originally planned, it may stop and drive fine with the hydraulic brakes and new bias tires. Still though, I want it safe since I live in a heavy populated area.
PhoenixFear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 12:31 AM   #19
52merc

blu dice the car I used for the Tahoe meet had bias tyres put on iyt 35 year ago they are firestone ww now the funny thing about these tyres is that they where made in new Zealand and exported up to states if you have some old tyres chech the inside of them to where they made firestore ev entuly took the moulds to s/America don't know where they are now
Old 07-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #20
Blu Dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 52merc View Post
blu dice the car I used for the Tahoe meet had bias tyres put on iyt 35 year ago they are firestone ww now the funny thing about these tyres is that they where made in new Zealand and exported up to states if you have some old tyres chech the inside of them to where they made firestore ev entuly took the moulds to s/America don't know where they are now
I think Coker has the molds now, but I don't think they make them like they were made in the old days - they just don't last anymore. I never thought to look to see where these tires were made-just assumed they were made here.
Blu Dice is offline   Reply With Quote