Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-08-2014, 07:31 AM   #41
mshmodela

Default Re: How did you hear about FORD BARN Forum ?

Google.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:40 PM   #42
Gerald D. Walker

Hard to believe more folks didn't hear about Ford Barn from fellow Model A Club members. Google? Why are our club members staying silent on this great site? Thanks to one of our club members I was told at my first club meeting this was a mandatory site to look at each day. Thanks!!
Gerald D. Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:30 PM   #43
Bob Wright

Found about The Ford from sitting beside The old Barns former owner Shelly,her husband Peter Kaptain, at a club meeting.
Bob Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 02:38 PM   #44
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D. Walker View Post
Hard to believe more folks didn't hear about Ford Barn from fellow Model A Club members. Google? Why are our club members staying silent on this great site? Thanks to one of our club members I was told at my first club meeting this was a mandatory site to look at each day. Thanks!!
The best one I heard goes all the way back to Shelly's old Fordbarn, sometime in 2007 I believe. "The phone company sez they can't put a modem on my rotary dial line. Hell if I'm gonna give them $3 a month just to give me one of those push button phones. I'm on a fixed income. (75K railroad pension!!)"

Seriously, having been in several clubs (two presently) I have heard it discussed, and recommended during the meetings several times.

What was missing?- I have never seen a formal on-screen live projection presentation during the meeting. Not "stay after if you wish" or a verbal blab. You MUST show Fordbarn PROJECTED, on screen. A picture is worth 1000 words.

Did this pix get you attention in this long, boring text post and make you read to find out wazzup?? A projected live Fordbarn presentation is a must. The presenter should be someone with a good knowledge of vBulletin forums, an ability to follow an agenda without side-tracking, and audience command to defer comments and questions to a later time point, like after the club meeting.

If anyone wants to do this, as a retired tech instructor with a degree in education, I humbly offer the following hints and suggestions:

Attention span-
If you are 25-30 yrs, it could be an hour or more. A 10 year old and a 70 year old are toast after 15 minutes. Even though their eyes follow, you're talking to the wall. Personally, I crappe out after 20 minutes on any one topic. Do it over several meetings in 10 minute segments.

Suggested syllabus of 10 minute segments:
1. Show and tell. Presenter should have saved list of several interesting threads that include posted pictures, discussion, and resolve.

2. Setting up a new member name, password, and Avatar. (User CP) Review of 'the rules'. (No sense setting someone up to get banned for inappropriate stuff!)

3: Ways of posting pictures. Photobucket and other direct-link storage, albums on Fordbarn.

Followup:
1) Screen-shot illustrated handout of 1, 2, 3 above at the end of part 3.
2) Awards! (Club members love recognition certificates.)
When a club member establishes
...a)Fordbarn account,
...b)Avatar
...c)A post with a picture, like a newbie intro with a 'my car' pix
~~~~give 'em a certificate! ~~~~

. . . . just my 2 cents on barnstorming.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 04:55 PM   #45
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Wow, what is sad for me is how many key folks are not posting NOW about when they started!! For those who have been around for awhile, look around who is no longer participating!!

Some of us were "here" even before Shelley, ...back when Gus Stangeland started it. I think he was a member of the DFW club and did their website, -and the forum actually grew from their webpage. Gus also started the Model-T forum. I am guessing it was a couple years later that Peter actually purchased "Fordbarn" from Gus. The way I always understood it was Pete was the car guy and since he was married to Shelley the computer whiz, that is the only real reason why she was affiliated. Then when the separation took place, I think that is when it truly became Shelley's. I affectionately call those the 'Midol years'!

The sad part for me with this forum is how great it could have been if some of the key people with knowledge had not been alienated and have now just become lurkers. Yes, don't get me wrong, this is a nice site today however I am not so sure if the true depth of Model-A knowledge (both on the purist and modified sides) was not a fair amount better back in the earlier years.

Also back then, it seemed there was more cohesiveness between the two sides (purists & mods) where it was much more tolerated. I personally tend to think it was because the guys back then who actually posted KNEW what the heck they were speaking about ...and they HAD hands-on experience. Often times today when I read a post, I cannot help but wonder if that person giving the advice has even experienced something first-hand of what they suggesting, --or whether someone today just gives an answer based on something they heard someone else say. Oh well, I suppose things change for a reason!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:54 PM   #46
Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Wow, what is sad for me is how many key folks are not posting NOW about when they started!! For those who have been around for awhile, look around who is no longer participating!!

Some of us were "here" even before Shelley, ...back when Gus Stangeland started it. I think he was a member of the DFW club and did their website, -and the forum actually grew from their webpage. Gus also started the Model-T forum. I am guessing it was a couple years later that Peter actually purchased "Fordbarn" from Gus. The way I always understood it was Pete was the car guy and since he was married to Shelley the computer whiz, that is the only real reason why she was affiliated. Then when the separation took place, I think that is when it truly became Shelley's. I affectionately call those the 'Midol years'!

The sad part for me with this forum is how great it could have been if some of the key people with knowledge had not been alienated and have now just become lurkers. Yes, don't get me wrong, this is a nice site today however I am not so sure if the true depth of Model-A knowledge (both on the purist and modified sides) was not a fair amount better back in the earlier years.

Also back then, it seemed there was more cohesiveness between the two sides (purists & mods) where it was much more tolerated. I personally tend to think it was because the guys back then who actually posted KNEW what the heck they were speaking about ...and they HAD hands-on experience. Often times today when I read a post, I cannot help but wonder if that person giving the advice has even experienced something first-hand of what they suggesting, --or whether someone today just gives an answer based on something they heard someone else say. Oh well, I suppose things change for a reason!!

Roger on all that.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #47
ronn

I found out about this site through Dave Mellor.

Thanks Dave!
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 07:21 PM   #48
C4engr

Model A Times folks introduced me to Ford Barn...

Rog
C4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #49
Rowdy
BANNED

Found out about Fordbarn through Ahooga in 2002. Found out about Ahooga through Steve Becker at Berts over the phone while ordering parts. Like Brent there are far too many who for one reason or another are no longer posting. Some of the ones that are good friends I know why. Some have been banned for not following the rules or ruffling some feathers and others I have no clue why. Regardless of the reasons why their knowledge is missed. Rod
Old 09-10-2014, 03:48 AM   #50
dumb person

Likely found it on an internet search. Did not believe it was real for many years (did not think there was other people interested in cars at the time)

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:53 AM   #51
Cool Hand Lurker

I had a dream. In it Paul Newman told me about Pete & Shelley's Fordbarn. He said I would have no problem with any 'failure to communicate' with those folks. He was right. Everything I know about Model A's started in the old Fordbarn and was refined by busted knuckles and dirty oil down the shirtsleeves. Thank you Fordbarn and Thank You all the 'barners' who helped me.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote