Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
dmaxweb

Default Painting Bottom of '30 Radiator Shell

I'm ready to paint the bottom of my restored radiator shell. There are several 'reveals/ridges' from the s/s face of the shell down to the flat area. Is only the lowest flat area painted?

Masking the tight curves is a pain especially around the crank hole. I've tried overlapping with green frog tape and triming to the curves with a razor blade and ended up with paint creeping under and bits of paint coming off with the tape and not a clean edge.

Would some fine line masking tape be best to use and then mask back with regular masking tape and paper?

I'm using spray acylic laquer and don't want to end up with a ridge of paint. Does it make a difference how long to wait before removing tape after spraying?

Thanks
dmaxweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #2
Tacoma Bob

Default Re: Painting Bottom of '30 Radiator Shell

Start by using 1/8 hi quality masking tape. Makes tight curves a lot easier. Yup it's tedious work. Understand too that your your bound to have a bit of a ridge. I was taught years ago not to let the paint dry too long before pulling the tape. Pull it at a pretty steep angle as this should eliminate any chipping. Depending on shop conditions and number of coats I would pull the tape after twenty minutes give or take.
Tacoma Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
BRENT in 10-uh-C

How authentic are you trying to make it? Originally they used a stencil so there was a fuzzy edge. The edge you speak of is created when mill thickness (paint build-up) is excessive. The way Bob suggests is a great way if the fine-line tape method is what you are after. For the more authentic way with the fuzzy edge, use a transition tape (door jamb tape) which is a round sticky foam. This works really well at creating the proper look. Again, just put on enough coats to get coverage and stop there.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:03 AM   #4
dmaxweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
How authentic are you trying to make it? Originally they used a stencil so there was a fuzzy edge. The edge you speak of is created when mill thickness (paint build-up) is excessive. The way Bob suggests is a great way if the fine-line tape method is what you are after. For the more authentic way with the fuzzy edge, use a transition tape (door jamb tape) which is a round sticky foam. This works really well at creating the proper look. Again, just put on enough coats to get coverage and stop there.

Is this what you are referring to? When you tear it down the middle do you put the middle (thin) or outer (round) edge towards the paint?
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053
dmaxweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:31 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaxweb View Post
Is this what you are referring to? When you tear it down the middle do you put the middle (thin) or outer (round) edge towards the paint?
http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053

Actually, not really but I guess you could use that. Your automotive paint jobber will know what it is. We happen to use 3M products but it is used anywhere backtaping would be done.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
1931 flamingo

You could try rough masking it of, spray, then take FINE steel wool and remove excesws paint
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote