Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-09-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
Huckster

Default chassis stampings

Has anyone seen a stamping on the rear cross member?
I have a 31 pickup and could not find the vin stamping on the frame but i did find this one on the rear cross member.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3081.jpg (43.1 KB, 28 views)
Huckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:21 PM   #2
Bassman/NZ

Default Re: chassis stampings

I cant find a stamping on my frame at all, but the first subframe crossmember in my 28 tudor has a five figure number with a prefix stamped on the left side.
Bassman/NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman/NZ View Post
I cant find a stamping on my frame at all, but the first subframe crossmember in my 28 tudor has a five figure number with a prefix stamped on the left side.

Can you read the prefix? It should be the assembly plant from what I have read.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Can you read the prefix? It should be the assembly plant from what I have read.
The prefix is "F".
Old 05-09-2010, 11:29 PM   #5
Bassman/NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by forever4 View Post
So that goes back to the question/theory of whether the F stands for "Fordson", the previous pre 1927 name of the Rouge complex, or Ford, Ontario (later called Walkerville and East Windsor Ontario), where Ford of Canada was.

Canada supplied most of the export models for the British Empire, whereas the Rouge supplied RHD for South America.

I say 'F' most likely means Ford, Ontario, but I am in the minority on this view.
I'm in New Zealand, so that sounds most likely, as most American cars to come in to this country came from Canada..
Old 05-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

I was told that only the Twin Cities plant stamped the rear crossmember as you show. My 28 Phaeton has "P8" and my 29 Tudor has "T0". The "P" stands for "Phaeton" and the "T" stands for "Tudor". The "0" stands for "10" leaf rear spring.

The "PU" on your frame stands for "pickup" and the "0" stands for 10 leaf rear spring. It looks like someone on the assembly line got carried away with the triple "0". If you look for your body number it will probably start with "TC" which stands for Twin Cities assembly plant. The body numer will be in the area where the driver's heel would be if he sits with his feet straight down.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:34 PM   #7
Steve Plucker
BANNED

I would not necessarly say you are in the minority Vince.

I have reminants of two Closed Cab Pickup bodys wit the "F" on the body subcross rail. Bodys had the single slotted screws in them.

Bassman/NZ...does your CCPU have single slotted screws or the Robenson type screws?

Just a thought.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:37 PM   #8
Rowdy
BANNED

I was told the same thing Tom.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:46 PM   #9
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Boy did I get screwd up...

Bassman...does your 1928 Tudor with the "F" stamping have the single slotted screws or the robinson type screws?

Pluck
Old 05-09-2010, 11:48 PM   #10
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Is the gas tank dated?

Pluck
Old 05-10-2010, 12:12 AM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

This is from Jim Masons' site. http://jmodela.com/

Old 05-10-2010, 01:13 AM   #12
Tudortomnz

Fordson name was used to sometime in 1929 when whole new larger complex renamed Rouge. This is documented.

Concerning NZ '28 Tudor with 'F'. I have body & engine numbers of many Model A's in NZ & they all have 'F' [except for Murray & Briggs.] & most had Robertson trim screws. I believe Briggs Cabriolets here had slotted trim screws but not sure for '28-'29 Briggs fabric back Fordors. [ only Briggs Fordor we received].
G'day to all on new Forum!!
Tudortomnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:53 AM   #13
RTC1930

I wish I could see my stamping but it either wore off or was never stamped. I just refinished the frame last year (body off) and no indication of a stamp at all, rail is perfectly smooth. I'm 99% sure its the original motor but without the frame stamp its only 99%. Title matches.

Bob NJ
RTC1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #14
Tom Wesenberg

"Here's a strange", as Paul Harvey used to say. Roadsters are supposed to have a 7 leaf rear spring, so why is this original Roadster frame stamped "R8"? Did factory rumble seat Roadsters come with 8 leaves?
Old 05-10-2010, 03:28 PM   #15
Huckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
I was told that only the Twin Cities plant stamped the rear crossmember as you show. My 28 Phaeton has "P8" and my 29 Tudor has "T0". The "P" stands for "Phaeton" and the "T" stands for "Tudor". The "0" stands for "10" leaf rear spring.

The "PU" on your frame stands for "pickup" and the "0" stands for 10 leaf rear spring. It looks like someone on the assembly line got carried away with the triple "0". If you look for your body number it will probably start with "TC" which stands for Twin Cities assembly plant. The body numer will be in the area where the driver's heel would be if he sits with his feet straight down.
The cab is stamped TC. The chasis is in very good shape,it has no pitting at all
but i cannot find the vin number. I was wondering if they stamped all or did they miss some. I guess we may never know.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

The motor number is stamped into the frame usually about where the clutch pedal shaft is and I usually find it stamped near the vertical edge. It is probably stamped near the edge because the vertical edge of the frame would offer very good support for stamping. The body and splash apron needs to be off or at lease lifted a few inches in order to read the number.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #17
Michael in Sedona

Take a look at the "Assembly Plants and Body Numbers" research done by Dave Sturges that is posted in the Data Section of the MAFCA website.

Based on Dave's research, the "F" stamp usually means Detroit (Rouge), but he goes on to mention that an almost equal number of "F" stamped cars were either U.S. assembled or Canadian assembled.

Interesting stuff. Several years ago I looked at the cross-member stamp on my '29 Tudor, and found that it was assembled in Seattle. The stamp begins with "AS". Interesting, since I purchased the car about 7 years ago in Grayland, WA, not that far from where it was originally assembled. It was rescued from an eastern Oregon barley ranch, where it had sat upside down behind a barn for 30 years with a frozen engine and a missing drive shaft.
Michael in Sedona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #18
Steve Ciccalone

Wink Re: chassis stampings

A189 is a roadster with a body number of F52. This is clearly a Rouge car. If a car is three or four digits, if the body has an F prefix it is clearly from the Rouge as Canadian production had not started.
Steve Ciccalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #19
Huckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
The motor number is stamped into the frame usually about where the clutch pedal shaft is and I usually find it stamped near the vertical edge. It is probably stamped near the edge because the vertical edge of the frame would offer very good support for stamping. The body and splash apron needs to be off or at lease lifted a few inches in order to read the number.
I have the entire body off and it just doesnt seem to be there.
I have been told also that sometimes they would fall behind and to check farther toward the rear but its not there either.