Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-24-2016, 01:47 PM   #1
carguybill

Default Adjusting door windws

The door windows on my '34 Cabriolet roll up and down smoothly but they need to be adjusted to set at the proper angle when down and up and the front of one of the windows needs to be moved out a bit.

My experience with other cars is that the window adjustments are different for each car. Rather than reinvent the wheel I'm looking for guidance. Is there a manual that covers window adjustments, or a service bulletin, or even an exploded parts diagram available for this task?

Any and all help/leads/suggestions/etc. greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bill Brown
carguybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 06:46 PM   #2
alanwoodieman

Default Re: Adjusting door windws

window do not have much of an adjustment--there is a slight front to back movement, but changing this can make the front window not retract back for the vent feature. as far as angles--I would make sure the window is seated in the riser channel.
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 07:22 PM   #3
51 MERC-CT

All the ones I remember, the bottom window mount channel was brought to a level or other position relative to level by loosening the regulator screws and rotating it. If necessary the the regulator mount holes can be elongated to get enough rotation.
As I recall the in/out adjustment was by loosening a single screw at the bottom of the front and rear widow channel and moving in or out as required.
Old 05-25-2016, 06:10 AM   #4
Terry,OH

The window regulators have positions for stops. There are several different styles of stop pins but the stops only prevent the window from being rolled up or down too far and do not adjust front or rear height. I believe the 34 and 35 cabriolet regulator are identical. I had one that did not roll up the window evenly and the regulator was improper application. There are a couple of different window applications that appear at first glance to be correct. Look over the picture in the hardware book and compare arm length and gear size along with spring type. The 34-5 cabriolet regulator is a hard item to find. Make sure your glass channels are screwed into position properly and are the correct channels.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35 cabriolet window regulator RH.jpg (54.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 33-35 Cabriolet RH window regulator.jpg (88.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 33-35 Cabriolet RH window regulator 2.jpg (92.5 KB, 29 views)
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 12:43 PM   #5
carguybill

Thanks guys, your comments have been very helpful. There is no indication that I have the vent feature, I wondered if it was not offered for the Cabriolet.

I also haven't considered that my regulators might not be original. Looks like I'm going to have to pull it all apart so I can see what I'm dealing with.

Any tips on how to disconnect the window channel from the regulator arms?

Carguy Bill
Old 05-25-2016, 03:00 PM   #6
Terry,OH

There is no vent system for the Cabriolet. Look for window stops mark their position and remove them so the regulator can come up and the arms of the regulator are together then the regulator arms will come out of the glass metal channel and the window, frame and lower glass channel can be removed. by lifting up.

Last edited by Terry,OH; 05-26-2016 at 07:06 AM.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
carguybill

Thanks Terry OH. I have looked for the window stops and I don't find them so I'm thinking that rather than just dissembling everything I better ask for help.

Where do I find the window stops and how do I access them? Thanks