Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #1
Kahuna

Default Connecting Rod Availabilty

A while back I needed some connecting rod bearings. I needed the bearings for the 21A rods in my engine in a .030" undersize.
Checking Ebay and all the other suppliers that I am aware of (Mac's, Speedway, Joblot, etc.), I was able to find what I wanted. So, problem solved.
Then yesterday, I was at my very good NAPA store and just for fun asked about the same bearings: Guess what? They can get them in just one day. They can get them in as much as .040" undersize. Price? Under $ 40.00 per rod journal. Less if you get a discount there.
Just an FYI for those interested. They (NAPA) can get a lot of stuff that we all generally get through the Antique Vendors, for much better prices. Just have to find someone interested in looking for you.
Hope it helps someone. I should have tried there first.
Jim
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: Connecting Rod Availabilty

Thats the key. Finding someone nowdays thats interested in helping. The real parts houses are fast fading and when they are gone we will be left with what I call the Blister Pack Emporiums.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 02:38 PM   #3
Dave/Green Bay

Default Re: Connecting Rod Availabilty

One problem with new parts is that they don't always fit right. I bought a new set of rod bearing for my 35 21 stud. When we installed them the first time the rods would not even turn. Using the technique outlined in Ol'Ron's book we spent hours trying to get them to fit. We got tired of the effort and bought a set of original NOS ones. We install them and they fit the first time.
Dave/Green Bay is offline   Reply With Quote