Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-04-2018, 08:55 AM   #1
Dr. OldKat

Default (Not really) a barn find.

Quite by chance, last Thursday I practically stumbled across a “barn find” (as misleading as that term can be) of sorts in the way of a Model A and I’d appreciate hearing your thoughts on what I should be looking for and any concerns that you would have if you were in my shoes.

A friend mentioned that he knew of a man in our community that was thinking about selling an old pickup of some sort. When I expressed interest in learning more he called the man and put me on the phone with him. Turned out he was the retired Ford dealer in our town (population 4,000) and when he had opened a new location on the edge of town in 1967 a local man came in and said he had an old pickup that he wanted to trade in on a new pickup. The now retired dealer was surprised to see him drive up in a ’28 Model A Roadster P/U when he brought his trade in for appraisal.

He took the truck in on trade and turned it over to his service department to rebuild. It underwent a complete frame off restoration at that time; body work (he said there was only surface rust, no rust through), repainted it stem to stern, overhauled the drive train; including re-pouring the Babbitt bearings, line boring the block, new rings etc. Also addressed was a new interior and top, new tires etc. Again, this was in 1967. Talk about an “older restoration”! You guys know the drill better than I do what all is involved in a frame off resto.

For the next 40 plus years it sat on the showroom floor at his dealership and was only taken out now and then for parades or to drive his children and later his grandchildren around town. He said the truck has less than 30,000 miles on it, and probably no more than 1,000 since the rebuild. Therein lies my concern; at 1,000 +/- miles and 50 years since the rebuild that comes out to 20 miles per year.

Though it sat in a climate controlled environment for over 4 decades and has been in his shop/garage, that he calls a barn, since he sold his franchise probably 10 years ago … it has not been started in “about” 3 or 4 years. Worse yet, is the long term, infrequent use after it was rebuilt. I have not seen the truck since I talked to him, plan to do that this coming week. I did use to see it when I’d go to that dealership to buy parts, but never studied it in detail, nor up close. I just glanced at it now and then, best I can recall the paint job was a solid 5 to 10 footer, even after all those years.

So are my concerns about this vehicles lack of use off base? Just knowing about this truck by what I have posted here, would you be concerned about buying it under these circumstances? Next question is what is a fair price for it? The story behind it is pretty interesting, real cool actually. I’m just not sure that is enough to cause me to bite on it, especially if he is out in left field somewhere on what he expects to get for this thing. Honestly, we didn’t talk price; but the case being what it is and having not seen it in person … what kind of ballpark figure would you think I should offer?

Any and all comments are welcome.