Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-30-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
JM 35 Sedan

Default The Blue Ridge Mountain. Parkway Tour, Oct., 2011

Pictures added starting on page 5, post #89

Announcing... "The Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway Tour, Oct., 2011"

During the Barner's Bash this spring, in Tampa Bay, FL, I was asked by one of the attendees if I would think about putting a tour together in the Blue Ridge Mountains some time this year. I've never put a tour together before so I'm hoping this one comes together and we get a good turn-out. I chose the latter part of October because the foliage is so beautiful that time of the year. I have narrowed the possible dates down to 10/15/11 to 10/24/11. My thoughts being these dates will include two weekends allowing those folks who must still work for a living to attend without needing to take a lot of vacation time and also for those who are interested in traveling further south to attend the Moonshine Festival in Dawsonville, GA, on Saturday, 10/22/11. A starting/meeting location would be Front Royal, VA. Anyone would be welcome to join in on this tour regardless of what type of car you have and where along the route you may be located. Anyone would also be welcome to join in or drop out of this tour any time or any place along the way. What I am looking for now are suggestions on how far we would like to travel each day, places/attractions along the Parkway that we would be interested in seeing, good restaurants for our meals, and nice hotels/motels/B&B's, etc., where we would like to stay each night. I would also like to get some idea now of how many of you folks would like to do this tour? You could respond here on this post or send me a PM/email message. We do need to move forward as soon as possible to make sure we can book accommodation's as necessary. As Vic Piano once said, "To tour or not to tour?"...that is the question. Stay tuned for more information forthcoming. Cheers!!

PS....this tour is not sponsored in anyway by The FordBarn.com

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 10-27-2011 at 11:40 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:12 PM   #2
BILL WZOREK

Default Re: The Blue Ridge Mountain. Parkway Tour, Oct., 2011

Ok Everyone time to step up.
We have a point Man now.
That is a hard place to be.
Lets start giving him Ideas so it can be a great time for all.

BILL W
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
Vic Piano

Excellent John, let me know what I can do to help. Vic
Old 05-31-2011, 05:40 AM   #4
chuck stevens

John,
In the next day or so I can send you a list of more hotels that could be out second night stop. It is hard to say how far we will travel each day because of scenic over look stops, time taking pictures. Chuck
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:13 AM   #5
phartman

John, I just knocked out 170 miles or so in my shop truck. Got on at Afton Mountain and went down to Piper's Gap, VA. Love to jump in with you. Here are a couple of pics. All I can say is Go! You'll have a blast. If there is any way I can join you, I'm in.

Pete

phartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:15 AM   #6
phartman

Oh, and downtown Floyd, VA on a Friday night is a requirement. Great stop on the tour.

http://www.floydcountrystore.com/
Old 05-31-2011, 08:11 AM   #7
JM 35 Sedan

Pete,you are more than welcome to jump in or out anywhere along the tour. WOW! that picture of the water wheel/mill looks like a painting! The suggested stops and places to stay are appreciated as I have never been on the Blue Ridge Mountains before.
As plans come together we will post info on planned stops and places to stay.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
Old 05-31-2011, 08:22 AM   #8
jim1932

Just to avoid confusion.... the part of the trail starting in Front Royal is the Skylinedrive. It is the same road, it just changes names further down. THis road is a lot of up and down so be sure to do your brakes before you go. I think most of it is 35 to 40 MPH so you won't go as far in a day as you might think. We will also need to plan on gas stops as I know there isn't any on the skyline drive portion, not sure on the Blueridge.
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 01:06 PM   #9
phartman

Jim, you are absolutely correct about road conditions. I had not been on the Skyline Drive/Blue Ridge Parkway in quite some time, but lived along it here in Virginia from 1976-1981. Didn't remember how narrow it was. Parts are in ok shape, but most spots are beginning to need repaving. You wouldn't want to do more than 45mph in most places. Late October is the busiest travel period and folks are slow because they want to see the foliage. It can also be wet and COLD. So be prepared.

Gasoline availability and repair help is spotty. Along the Skyline Drive, for instance, you have to exit the road- off Route 33 for instance- and drive a ways to find services. Same on the Parkway. From Afton Mountain all the way down to Bedford, for instance, not much in the line of gasoline. The fuel stops will need to be planned out. And participants should pack along every spare part (within reason) they might possibly need. On sections of the Parkway, you are a long way from the autoparts store.

I covered 176 miles in an afternoon, but didn't stop for gas but once and only took a couple pictures. 200 or so miles in a day is about right. And you want to take your time.

Oh, and pack your own snacks and drinks. I went a long way at one point before I found a place to buy a Pepsi and some peanut butter crackers!

Prettiest stretch in my book is from Roanoke, VA to Boone, NC. Lots of places to get out and look.

That mill is Mabry's Mill at Meadows-of-Dan, VA. Very pretty spot indeed! Possibly the most photographed site on the Parkway.

Pete

Last edited by phartman; 05-31-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:34 PM   #10
alanwoodieman

I have been trying to get our club (Upstate Early Ford V8) to do a tour, would love to join you with a couple of cars-How can I help?
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:25 AM   #11
JM 35 Sedan

bttt....I need to get rolling with some firm plans/itinerary for this tour and things will start hopping on this real soon. I'm planning a trip to Winchester, VA week after next to look at a '35 Coupe. After that I will head to Front Royal, VA to find a good hotel to use as our initial starting/gathering point. I will also start compiling our attendance list so I need to know who is planning to attend this tour. So far I have five confirmed attendees/couples. If you would like to join us on this tour and have not already responded to me, please send me a pm/email message. Thank you!

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 06-19-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #12
Hoop

Just returned from Asheville and the Blue Ridge Parkway. The Asheville section is in great condition, by the way.

If Ashville is chosen as one of the stops, either overnight or lunch, here are a couple of notes since food and lodging are not always convenient near the Parkway.

Just off the Pkwy and a very short distance is:

Celebrity's Hot Dogs (http://celebrityhotdogs.net/)
"Celebrity's started as a joke. NASCAR driver Robert Pressley, son of legendary Asheville short-track racer Bob Pressley, had been telling his buddies since 1990 that when he had to hang up his helmet, he'd start slinging dogs. Although still involved in racing, he recently made good on his promise, opening Celebrity's, which he envisions as the first of many sport-themed restaurants. The walls and tables are plastered with NASCAR memorabilia, but he has the goods to make the shtick stick – the Carolina dogs here are quite possibly the best in town. The restaurant takes obvious care with its product, asking customers to allow 15 minutes for the preparation of five or more dogs at lunchtime. Pressley won't reveal which brand of hot dogs he uses – it's a secret worth guarding – but the salt-tinged beef-and-pork links, nestled in buttery buns, are beautifully complemented by the perfectly textured chili, onions and slaw. Carolina dog lovers, start your engines. 1409 Brevard Road; 670-5954"

Brevard Road is route 191 and the exit closest to where I-26 crosses the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's actually closer to the Pkwy than to I-26 and is a 10 for convenience. AND, it is car oriented as you can tell from the website.

Check their cruise-in schedule: http://www.cruisincarolinamagazine.c...ille-nc-2011-2

http://celebrityhotdogs.net/wp-conte...s/images/2.jpg

The hot dogs are good, BUT the corndogs are probably the best we've ever eaten. The prices are very inexpensive and the place looks like it might have looked in the 50's. Plain, clean little old drive in.

As far as lodging in the area, the closest right there to the Pkwy is a Country Inn and Suites http://www.countryinns.com/asheville...28806/ncashvil

This is in a very safe area ... Hampton Inn is next door if you prefer spending more, and there's plenty of supermarket shopping very close by.

We stayed there, $69 (we'd have paid more because of the thunderstorms and hail that chased us from the top of Mt. Pisgah) ... very clean little breakfast area. Try the do-it-yourself waffles.

Gas currently $3.54 or so. South Carolina much less at $3.29 but too far away from the Pkwy.

Last edited by Hoop; 06-19-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:14 PM   #13
40cpe

My wife and I toured the parkway for 3 days about 3 yeas ago after the NSRA meet in Knoxville. We would be interested in joining the tour for a few days mid-week before the Moonshine festival. I'll be watching as the dates/locations firm up.

Last edited by 40cpe; 05-25-2014 at 09:19 PM.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:30 AM   #14
Merlin

The Blue Ridge has some fantastic views. Earlier this month we participated in the Deuce run to Blowing Rock.

Last edited by Merlin; 08-03-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 09:33 AM   #15
JM 35 Sedan

Hoop, 40cpe, Merlin, Alan, and others, thank you for you input/interest. I will note any/all suggestions as I try to finalize plans. Also, as I mentioned before, anyone is welcome to join in anywhere along the way. I'm really looking forward to seeing and doing all that has been suggested so far. Thank you!!

Old 06-20-2011, 08:50 PM   #16
phartman

John, if there is any way to join you for the Skyline/Blue Ridge 1st leg, I'll try and do it. It's just a busy time of year. I understand you'll try and leave Front Royal on the 15th?

The following weekend is Jalopyrama. And the weekend after that is the final race (maybe forever) at Maxton.

I'll need to check with da Boss and see what she's got in mind. Three weekends in a row away from home are probably not doable, but if there is any way to join you for at least part of the tour at the start, I'll be there.

Dang, lots to choose from this Fall.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:39 AM   #17
BILL WZOREK

John

Just a thought.

Whatever Motel you chose for the start point you may want to check to see if we can leave some cars / Trailers for those that end up riding with others or those that trailer their cars to start point.
Just a thought.

BILL / LEE W
Old 06-21-2011, 07:07 AM   #18
Richard Wilson

Just a few thoughts here. Skyline Drive is a fee based road with toll booths at each end maintained by a private company. The Blue Ridge Parkway has free access for it's entire 469 mile length. The BRP is maintained by the National Park Service Division of the US Department of the Interior. Check out their web sites. There are many inexpensive Blue Ridge Parkway guide books and maps available through the National Park Service or your local bookstore. These would be invaluable in planning a tour. As has already been mentioned, there are only at most 3-4 places actually on the BRP to buy gas and zero repair shops. You should plan to exit the BRP for gas, food or car repairs. This might be several hundred yards or several miles. Also if you break down you have to go through the National Park Service to have a rollback come get your vehicle as the BRP does NOT allow commercial vehicles. This is a big time high dollar fine. Be sure your vehicle has good steering, good brakes and good engine cooling. The BRP is a scenic, curvey, steep up hill and down hill, narrow roadway with no room to pull off the road except at the overlooks. Speed limit on the BRP is 45 MPH with most tourists driving about 35 to 40 MPH with NO passing allowed. Be sure to watch out for all of the bicyclists going about 10 MPH or less, especially in the blind curves. The BRP is the perfect road to drive your Model A or early V-8 in my opinion. Good luck with your tour!
Richard Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #19
Richard Wilson

One other tip. Middle to late October is the peak of the "fall leaf color" tourist season on the Blue Ridge Parkway. That means lot's of tourist traffic and full motel rooms especially on the weekends. Better make plans and reservations early.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:05 AM   #20
Vic Piano

By request from JM.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #21
jim1932

Vic, I guess she didn't want a Mo' hair interior...... oh that is bad.....
Old 06-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #22
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1932 View Post
Vic, I guess she didn't want a Mo' hair interior...... oh that is bad.....
Jim, that's almost as bad as my stuff... I post more of the "cartoons" promoting various events over on the non-Chevy part of the ChevyBarn.com. Vic
Old 06-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #23
Hoop

I could never get my Dad interested in old car tours ....

Old 06-23-2011, 06:26 AM   #24
chuck stevens

Hey John,
How about a start date, the date you will be leaving Front Royal. Kath and I have to make motel reservations for the date before we leave. Thanks Chuck.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #25
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck stevens View Post
Hey John,
How about a start date, the date you will be leaving Front Royal. Kath and I have to make motel reservations for the date before we leave. Thanks Chuck.
Chuck, I sent you a pm on this around 10:00 am this morning.

The start date for the BRMPW Tour will be October 15th at ~ 9:00 AM.
I will be traveling to Front Royal, VA next week to look for a good hotel near a Cracker Barrel Restaurant where we could spend the night on 10/14 and have breakfast on the 15th before we gather to start the tour. More news/info to follow as it becomes available.

Old 06-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #26
phartman

John, you want to drum up some other participants by posting this announcement on other sites? Or keep it a little quiet? I haven't seen it mentioned on other sites like Jalopy Journal or the Central Virginia Car Club Council events page. Didn't know how you felt about it getting larger and possibly out of hand. Maybe we ought to keep it low key? Please let us know your thoughts here. If you say so, mum's the word.

Pete
Old 06-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #27
Vic Piano

Hi Pete, here's a little background on the "Barner's" events (for lack of a better description). We started the Florida FordBarn Meets back in 2006, with Shelly and the old FordBarn, and we've held one each year in and around the Tampa, FL area. Two years ago Tom T. promoted an event in Williamsburg, VA. Tom wanted to do another earlier this year but got little interest. At this year’s Florida "Barner's Bash" in March, JM came up with the idea of having a driving tour on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

In addition to the Florida events, I have been going to the Moonshine Festival in Dawsonville, GA for the last five years. The Moonshine Festival is the weekend following the dates for the Blue Ridge Tour. We’ve had great success with the Florida meets, usually two dozen plus participants and at least half a dozen Flatheads in attendance. I don’t know what JM’s plans are with respect to an “open invitation” going beyond the FordBarn & ChevyBarn (non-Chevy section) but the event sure sounds like fun. I wish I could make both events however, time and business commitments dictate otherwise. I am planning on being at the Moonshine Festival and I hope that I’ll see a lot of Barner’s there. Vic
Old 06-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #28
phartman

Vic, thanks for the background. I plan to participate in at least the first part of the Skyline Drive/Parkway leg. Can't take off the whole week, but would at least like to do part of the cruise. We have a very active group of drivers here in Virginia. I've sponsored a couple of Pete's Pie Runs (along with the great help of Doug Walker at Joe Smith Early Ford). We're always looking for good events, especially those that involve getting out and driving the cars. Tom T. was a participant in the last run. I know there are a couple guys that would love to participate here. Didn't know if that was ok or not. I can vouch for them. Really good folks.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:41 AM   #29
PeteVS

WEATHER.... Several years ago, my wife and I were planning a trip south and we decided to do Sky Line Drive. We booked a room in Front Royal (I forget where) and headed out in the morning. It was overcast. Trouble was that as soon as we got far enough up, it turned out that the "overcast" as seen from down below was actually fog when we got to its altitude. Did a lot of fog driving that morning until we got to a point where we could get down off the mountain. Did it a couple of years later and it was wonderful. It's hard to plan with conditions like that.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #30
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by phartman View Post
Vic, thanks for the background. I plan to participate in at least the first part of the Skyline Drive/Parkway leg. Can't take off the whole week, but would at least like to do part of the cruise. We have a very active group of drivers here in Virginia. I've sponsored a couple of Pete's Pie Runs (along with the great help of Doug Walker at Joe Smith Early Ford). We're always looking for good events, especially those that involve getting out and driving the cars. Tom T. was a participant in the last run. I know there are a couple guys that would love to participate here. Didn't know if that was ok or not. I can vouch for them. Really good folks.
Pete, I don't know how many have contacted JM wanting to go on the Tour. Knowing John, I'm sure he would welcome everyone. Like I said, I wish I could go on the BRP Tour, maybe next year... Vic
Old 06-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #31
phartman

There is a growing movement here in Virginia that we call The Anti Car Show. Too many guys are going to a parking lot, setting up a lawn chair and sitting on their butts the rest of the day. As the car owner you pay to get into the show. And the rest of the day you sit there while people who didn't pay walk by and remark on all the things you did wrong to your car. No thanks.

The Anti Car Show movement isn't against parking lot shows, per se, but is an effort to recognize that these vehicles were meant to be driven. Whatever it is that you got. And that's what we want to do. Drive 'em. The Blue Ridge Tour is just perfect for this group of kindred sprirts.

That was the whole thought, too, behind the occassional Pete's Pie Runs- get out and drive. Well, not entirely. There was the pie part. Who don't like pie? And there are plenty of places to stop for pie along the Parkway.

I'm in. I'll bring some of my pie eatin' buddies. They're crazy about peach, apple, chocolate, coconut, lemon...you name it.

Can't wait.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:12 PM   #32
Vic Piano

Oh yeah, we are all about driving our Flatheads.

Pete, C'mon down the Moonshine Festival and I'll treat you to a fried peach pie at the Varsity on the Georgia 400 highway just south of Dawsonville. Vic
Old 06-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #33
phartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Oh yeah, we are all about driving our Flatheads.

Pete, C'mon down the Moonshine Festival and I'll treat you to a fried peach pie at the Varsity on the Georgia 400 highway just south of Dawsonville. Vic
Oh man, Vic, it's not nice to toy with my emotions like that!!!
Old 06-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #34
TomT/Williamsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by phartman View Post
Oh man, Vic, it's not nice to toy with my emotions like that!!!

Oh boy, Vic - now you did it! Pete is the "ultimate" pie man and does many "pie runs" here in VA - he's the "con-no-sewer" of pie!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #35
Vic Piano

Hi Tom, Pete's got to know that there's no better pie than a fried peach pie and a frosted orange drink from the Varsity to wash it down!
Old 06-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #36
jim1932

Might have to come off the parkway for Mrs. Rowes in Staunton.... Damn good pies.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #37
phartman

Pete's Pie Run #1 had Mrs. Rowe's as our destination. Oh baby.

http://www.mrsrowes.com/index.html

Last edited by phartman; 06-30-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:10 PM   #38
Jerry Parr WI

I would love to do that tour again. Wife and I drove our 30 Cabriolet from Wisc to Front Royal, VA. Took Skyline Drive and The Blue Ridge Parkway from there to the Smoky Mountains. We stayed mostly at B&B's along the route. Then from Gatlinburg flat out to make the show in Iola. We spent 28 days on the road and averaged about 100 miles a day counting some days we just relaxed. We put the top up one day because of the heat but it stayed down every other day. A great way to spend a vacation!!
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:07 AM   #39
Merlin

Somebody say pie.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:15 AM   #40
JM 35 Sedan

Pete (phartman), The BRMPW Tour is open to anyone who would like to attend. I doubt we will get to the point that we would have too many attending. I've only promoted the tour so far on the Ford Barn and the Chevy Barn. I may post something on the EFV8C/A website. If someone wants to mention the tour on other websites that wold be ok with me. What I am doing now is compiling a list of names with their contact information of all the folks who have let me know they are interested in going. Anyone who has n ot yet contacted me, please do so by sending me a PM, an email, or call 1-410-299-1715. I have spent some time in the last few days reading literature, studying maps, and reviewing suggestions from others on things to do, places to see, restaurants to eat at and places stay for night. The pie idea sounds real good! :-). Stay tuned for more info as it becomes available and Vic's great promotional ads.

Old 07-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #41
seadog

I'd be interested in joining in Asheville. I'll keep watching for the itineary. 'Sounds like fun.
seadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:51 PM   #42
phartman

Love to have you along, Tom.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #43
seadog

Bump. Any further details yet?
seadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 09:06 AM   #44
Vic Piano

Old 07-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #45
phartman

I like that. Can't wait.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:10 AM   #46
JM 35 Sedan

OK Folks, sorry about the lull in time for making some up dates here on the 2011 BRP Tour. This summer has been extremely busy for me so far but I am now planning to spend more time organizing this tour and making updates here on Fordbarn and on the Chevy Barn (non Chevy forum).
So far it looks like we have ~ 16 people (w/12 cars) who have either confirmed or expressed an interest in doing this tour. What I need now is for those who have not sent me a positive confirmation (with contact info such as full name, home address, email address, phone #'s, car you will be driving, a contact name & phone # in case of an emergency, etc.) to PM me with this info asap. Just in case someone who has previously expressed an interest in going, and may not see this post, I will be sending out a reminder via PM's. For those folks who would like to start the tour in Front Royal, Va, on 10/15/11, I have reserved a small block of rooms for the night of 10/14 at the Hampton Inn in Front Royal, Va. Contact Lisa Hogan, General Manager, 1-540-635-1882 to make reservations. Mention to her that you are touring with the "Fordbarn Group" for their group rate.
We will start our driving tour on 10/15 at 8:00 AM from either the Hampton Inn or possibly a nearby Cracker Barrel Restaurant. Our goal will be to drive ~ 100 miles per day with stops along the way at predetermined locations as well as other stops as we see something of interest and/or may need to use restrooms, etc.
I am compiling a list of interesting/scenic stops alone the entire length of the BRP that we will consider making and then allow everyone to vote on these prior to starting the tour.
I will also compile a list of restaurants, hotels, B&B's, and gas stations, etc., including their exit numbers or Rt. junction numbers at about every 100 miles along the parkway.

Please remember that anyone is welcome to come along on this tour regardless of what type of vehicle you may be driving. Sooooo, if you want to go..........please let me know by sending me a PM. Also, if I have forgotten to mention something, please let me know that as well with a PM.

Thank you Ford Barn for allow us to use this forum as a means of communication for this tour, and as mentioned before, this tour is in no way sponsored by the Ford Barn.

Old 08-10-2011, 07:15 AM   #47
Vic Piano

Old 08-10-2011, 06:00 PM   #48
JM 35 Sedan

Ha Ha, Good one Vic! That sure looks like it could be my '35 standard sedan kicking up the dust roaring down some dirt road. Windshield wide open bringing in fresh air so I can breathe. Yee hah!! LOL

Old 08-12-2011, 03:40 AM   #49
my4dv8

We did the apple blossom festival in Winchester and took in the Blue ridge drive last year and were blown away by the scenery and the splendid road conditions. The view were blue and sometimes hazy as expected at that time of year but it was unforgetable . Left Front Royal not really knowing where we were heading , didnt see any bears but lots of insects to share our lunch. Awesome trip. Yall gotta do it.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #50
Grandadeo

Wow, this thread was all the way back on page 14. I guess Vic has been off-line lately. We are going to try and make the Moonshine Festival at the end of a week in the GA mountains. Anybody else going to be there?

Lee
Salt Is Good... Mk 9:50
Grandadeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #51
jim1932

Doesn't look like my car will be ready for it. Maybe I will volunteer to be a support truck
Old 09-03-2011, 07:47 PM   #52
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandadeo View Post
Wow, this thread was all the way back on page 14. I guess Vic has been off-line lately. We are going to try and make the Moonshine Festival at the end of a week in the GA mountains. Anybody else going to be there?

Lee

Hi Lee, Yup, I've been busy but I have promoted the event over on the no-Chevy section of the ChevyBarn. I wish I could make it to the BRP Tour but I just can't get away for it. I will however be at the Moonshine Festival on Friday and Saturday, if the '39 CS cooperates. Send me an email with your cell phone # so we can arrange to meet. Vic
Old 09-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #53
phartman

Unfortunately, I can only come up Friday night, and do the Skyline Drive part of the tour. But I'll see you all there for at least the "pickoff" phase. Can't wait.

Pete
Old 09-27-2011, 02:27 PM   #54
JM 35 Sedan

OK folks, it's getting close now, only 18 more days until October 15th, the official start of the Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway Tour aka The BRP Tour. Everyone who has signed up, and some who were thinking about going, will get an email from me today with all the information that I have put together so far for this tour. If you think you had signed up but didn't get an email today, send me a PM.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #55
Vic Piano

John, hope you guys have a super event, I'm looking forward to seeing you in Dawsonville for the Moonshine Festival. We'll be driving up from Tampa on Thursday, Oct. 20th. Give me a call (PM me if you don't still have my cell phone #) on Thurs. or Friday and we'll get together. Vic
Old 09-27-2011, 03:26 PM   #56
Grandadeo

Vic, been watching the temperature forcasts for the GA/NC mountains. Looks like mid 40's at night. Oh... that's so brisk when you don't have any windows.

Lee
Old 09-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #57
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandadeo View Post
Vic, been watching the temperature forcasts for the GA/NC mountains. Looks like mid 40's at night. Oh... that's so brisk when you don't have any windows.

Lee
Lee, I took the heater out of the '39 CS and traded it to Redneck a while ago... But I do have windows... Mid 40's is balmy up there at that time of year. I just topped of the radiator in the '39 with some 50/50 anti-freeze...
Old 10-10-2011, 08:00 AM   #58
JM 35 Sedan

Only five more days to go for the start of the Blue Ridge Mountain Parkway Tour on Saturday, October 15th at Front Royal, VA. If you haven't signed on yet....you still have time. This will not be a highly structured tour. Just a group of old car enthusiasts taking a leisurely drive along some of the most beautiful and scenic areas in America.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #59
alanwoodieman

when will you be in NC around Grandfather Mtn?
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:25 PM   #60

if the dates are in line we me returning from moonshine run (Home is ohio) in would join in.will be driving my 40 coupe.
3340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #61
Cecil/WV

This tour starts on the 15th and ends up in Dawsonville for the Moonshine event.
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #62
JM 35 Sedan

3340, I will most likely be traveling I81 when driving back from GA to MD. I think traveling back the BRP would be an excellent way for you to go on your way from GA to OH. There may be others traveling back in your general direction as well. Maybe we will see you in Dawsonville.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BassLake.jpg (10.3 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg Bicycling.jpg (8.9 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg collavo-bullhead.jpg (24.5 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg ConePark.jpg (65.9 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Cumberland_Knob.jpg (49.5 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Craggy_Gardens3.jpg (60.1 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg DoughtonPark_Mist.jpg (75.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg fall-print.jpg (13.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg fha-tourist-cars.jpg (22.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg JamesRiver_VC_JG.jpg (67.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Lake.jpg (10.9 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg LinnCoveViaduct.jpg (9.2 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg MabryMill_Visitors_JG.jpg (76.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Mt_Pisgah.jpg (50.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Panting_PeaksOtter_JG.jpg (47.1 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 10-12-2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #63
Randy

Do you have scheduled stops each night? My parents are going to be driving over that direction and would love to catch up with you guys at some point if they knew where you were going to be. I think they will plan on being at the moonshine festival, if nothing else. Sounds great, wish I could be there!
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:12 AM   #64
scrapiron

Just a heads up,,are you guys aware of a detour off the BRP from US 21 to NC 18? ,,,,about milepost 220,,,

The detour takes you through Sparta, NC. Plenty of services and a Motel.

Also,, FWIW,,last gas in Virginia is Fancy Gap, just off the Parkway, cheaper than NC.

Last edited by scrapiron; 10-13-2011 at 08:31 AM. Reason: add
scrapiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:01 PM   #65
JM 35 Sedan

Scrapiron, Thanks for the heads up!

Well Folks....tomorrow is the big day.....first day of the 4 to 5 day BRP Tour and then on to the Moonshine Festival in Dawsonville, GA. I'm getting ready to leave now for Front Royal, VA. If there are any others who would like to join in, it's not too late. Give me a call @ 1-410-299-1715 if you want to jump in somewhere along the way.

Old 10-14-2011, 01:15 PM   #66
Vic Piano

John, have a bunch of fun. See you next Thursday in Dawsonville. Vic
Old 10-16-2011, 08:35 AM   #67
phartman

Beautiful, beautiful day in Virginia for the kickoff of the tour. Unfortunately I never got to catch up with the gang at the end of their first leg. Family responsibilities called. Our son is on the James Madison University volleyball team and they had a match at Virginia Tech. We drove by Waynesboro where the tour spent its first night, but it was late and we needed to get on home. Gorgeous weather, and more on the way. Good luck, guys.

Pete
Richmond, VA
Old 10-16-2011, 08:46 AM   #68
Brendan

you guys have fun!

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:06 AM   #69
JM 35 Sedan

Hello everyone. Just a brief report on the tour so far. We have completed about 200 miles so far. This will be the start of day three and we will be driving another 100 miles to Fancy Gap, VA. The weather has been gorgeous!! The foliage is near or at its pear and is beautiful. The views from the overlooks are spectacular and breathtaking. On the first day we saw a small Black Bear feeding along in the woods about 50 feet off the side of the road. Traffic backed up in both directions as people stopped to watch and take pictures. We are taking lots of pictures but I don't have any way to post them now. These old flathead Fords are running great. We are getting a lot of waves, thumbs up, and admirers at each stop. Stay tunned for more updates.

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 10-17-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:18 AM   #70
Vic Piano

John, that's excellent, can't wait to see some photos. I'll call you when we are getting close to Dawsonville on Thursday afternoon. Vic
Old 10-17-2011, 06:18 AM   #71
phartman

Rain coming on Tuesday night into Wednesday morning, then clear again, but sharply colder. Hope those heaters are working! You'll need 'em later in the week. Good luck, and thanks for the update. Keep 'em coming. We'll keep a light on for you.

Pete
Old 10-17-2011, 12:11 PM   #72
Grandadeo

We got to Blairsville, GA Saturday afternoon, without the roadster. Just missed the downtown Blairsville car show. It will be down in the upper 30's at night - that's why the roadster is in Florida, I'm getting to be a wimp. Just chilling for the week then we'll head for Dawsonville and hope to meet some more Barners.

Lee
Old 10-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #73
Vic Piano

Lee, we'll be in Dawsonville late afternoon on Thursday the 20th. We're supposed to meet us with a couple of "Barner’s" and possibly go for dinner. PM me if you get a chance and I'll give you my cell phone #. Hopefully we can all hook up on Thursday. Vic
Old 10-18-2011, 09:21 PM   #74
JM 35 Sedan

Another beautiful day on the Parkway. Chuck and Kathie departed the tour this morning and are heading back to New York. I drove from Fancy Gap, VA to Asheville, NC today. Will probably finish the BRP tomorrow, then head for Dawsonville to meet up with Vic and other Barners Thursday evening. Really looking forward to doing the Moonshine Festival. The '35 sedan has been running like a charm. Everywhere I stop people come by to check out the '35. Even get a lot of complements and questions from the young folks. Getting these old Fords out and driving them is maybe one way to get the younger generation interested in owning an old Ford.

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 10-18-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:18 AM   #75
Vic Piano

John, sounds like you guys had a blast. I’m looking forward to seeing you in Dawsonville tomorrow. Vic
Old 10-19-2011, 06:34 AM   #76
phartman

Asheville is a terrific place. Check out Mast General Store downtown. Good chow in that town, too. The Hippie Capital of the East. Yup, they're still around.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:53 AM   #77
Vic Piano

We're Ready... I Hope!
Old 10-19-2011, 07:08 AM   #78
chuck stevens

Vic, ask John what we are doing to his 35 when you see him. Check the rainbow at the end of the tounal. We had a Ball!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue ridge trip 015.jpg (75.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg blue ridge trip 007.jpg (111.8 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg blue ridge trip 018.jpg (95.3 KB, 40 views)
Old 10-19-2011, 07:13 AM   #79
Vic Piano

Chuck, those are outstanding photos. I will ask John about that when I see him tomorrow. Vic
Old 10-19-2011, 07:17 AM   #80
JM 35 Sedan

Driving this Parkway in a Ford V8 has been a real blast for me. I would not trade the memory's of this trip for anything. Just wish more folks could have joined in. These V8 Fords were made to be driven in places were folks can see and enjoy them instead of staying hidden away in garages and trailers.

Vic, that CS looks like it's raring to go. You guys be safe on the way to Dawsonville.

Phartman, thanks for the suggestions. I'm also planning to see the Biltmore Estates today.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:27 AM   #81
Vic Piano

Thanks John. See you tomorrow. Vic
Old 10-19-2011, 07:31 AM   #82
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck stevens View Post
Vic, ask John what we are doing to his 35 when you see him. Check the rainbow at the end of the tounal. We had a Ball!

Here's another clue!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04773.JPG (57.7 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04774.JPG (56.6 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04775.jpg (39.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg SSPX0021.jpg (36.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg SSPX0030.jpg (98.3 KB, 62 views)
Old 10-19-2011, 07:58 AM   #83
JM 35 Sedan

Here's another clue...can anyone think of a way to lock all doors on a '35 fordor sedan without using a key so that it cannot be opened again with a key. I thought I could outsmarts Henry's locking system and I did but it bit me good

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 10-19-2011 at 08:04 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:05 AM   #84
41ford1

Yup,
Lock all the doors from the inside then lock the passenger door with the interior handle and close it. It will not unlock with the key. I too found this out the hard way. I ended up removing the back window to get back in. Hope you didn't have to break any thing.
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:33 AM   #85
JM 35 Sedan

Chuck, what I did was lock all doors by pulling up on the handles from the rear passenger side door. Then pull that handle up and close the door. The key will not override the front door lock with that handle in the up position. I can not lock the front doors by pulling up on the handles and closing the doors. The handle will always return to the open position. Now, the rear doors will lock by pulling the handles up and closing the doors. I have now learned my lesson the hard way. The front drivers side window had a crack right up the middle of the glass and needed to be replaced anyway. Cecil was nice enough to lend me a ball peen hammer and phillips head screwdriver that I used to punch a small hole in the glass in the right place to insert a wire to push the handle down. The good news was Chuck S. gave me some black masking tape to cover up the hole. That will help to keep out the rain Looks like I will be getting a new piece of glass cut when I get back home.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #86
chuck stevens

The good thing about the door problem was, we didn't get arrested. Breaking a door glass in a motel parking lot could get you in trouble.

Here's some more pictures. The one is the poor house- where I'll be when I get my credit card statement for the gas. Virginia gas was as cheep as $3.09, up here in NY $3.69 gotta love it.

There WILL be another tour in 2012, start thinking of stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue ridge trip 015.jpg (75.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg blue ridge trip 013.jpg (76.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg blue ridge trip 021.jpg (117.1 KB, 32 views)
Old 10-19-2011, 08:02 PM   #87
JM 35 Sedan

It was raining cats and dogs in Asheville last night and again this morning. Decided to do the Asheville attractions on the way back home. Jumped on the BRP at Asheville and drove to its end at Cherokee, NC. This was a terrible weather day for driving the Parkway. Rain and heavy fog the entire way. After arriving in Cherokee I set the GPS for Dawsonville, GA and arrived at about 6:30 pm tonight. Also, to my surprise I found a hotel with reasonable rates about five miles away from Dawsonville. My '35 sedan really likes to run between 50-60 mph so that's what we ran all the way to Dawsonville. I'm here Vic...bring on the Moonshine
Festival

Old 10-20-2011, 06:59 AM   #88
Cecil/WV

Glad you made it, trouble free, John.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:45 PM   #89
JM 35 Sedan

Before this post slips into oblivion, I thought some of you may enjoy seeing some of my pictures. The Tour was an awesome time to say the least! I enjoyed every minute of it. I would like to thank those who went along for most of the ride and also those who joined in along the way for a day. Had one day of rain on the entire 9 day trip. Saw some of the most beautiful country imaginable. Had a fun time traveling with everyone. Met lots of people who really admire these old Fords. Lot of thumbs up from the young folks who wanted to know what kind of cars they were. Lots of reminiscing with the older folks who remember these cars so well as they were the first vehicles they owned. I would like to do this trip again as there are so many things and places to see along the way and it can't all be done in one trip.

As promised earlier, here are some of the 100+ pictures I took along the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway. Hope you enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 1.jpg (45.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 3.jpg (93.9 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 4.jpg (58.0 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 5.jpg (108.4 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 6.jpg (83.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr. BRP Tour 2.jpg (104.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 7.jpg (110.0 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 8.jpg (114.3 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 9.jpg (90.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 10.jpg (128.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 12.jpg (128.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 13.jpg (122.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 14.jpg (107.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 15.jpg (143.7 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 16.jpg (72.8 KB, 52 views)

Old 10-27-2011, 10:51 PM   #90
JM 35 Sedan

15 more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 17.jpg (101.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 18.jpg (99.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 19.jpg (110.3 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 20.jpg (96.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 21.jpg (93.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 22.jpg (77.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 24.jpg (46.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 25.jpg (104.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 26.jpg (103.4 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 27.jpg (83.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 28.jpg (58.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 29.jpg (63.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 30.jpg (67.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 31.jpg (55.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 32.jpg (85.4 KB, 32 views)

Old 10-27-2011, 11:10 PM   #91
JM 35 Sedan

15 more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 33.jpg (55.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 35.jpg (100.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 36.jpg (70.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 37.jpg (124.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 38.jpg (55.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 39.jpg (45.7 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 40.jpg (68.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 41.jpg (73.4 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 42.jpg (44.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 43.jpg (73.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 44.jpg (43.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 45.jpg (58.3 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 46.jpg (110.9 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 47.jpg (94.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 48.jpg (127.8 KB, 34 views)

Old 10-27-2011, 11:16 PM   #92
JM 35 Sedan

15 more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 49.jpg (127.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 50.jpg (136.8 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 51.jpg (141.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 52.jpg (83.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 53.jpg (63.7 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 54.jpg (70.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 55.jpg (63.7 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 56.jpg (55.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 57.jpg (66.7 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 58.jpg (45.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 59.jpg (73.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 60.jpg (92.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 61.jpg (109.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 62.jpg (136.8 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 63.jpg (140.4 KB, 26 views)

Old 10-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #93
JM 35 Sedan

15 more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 65.jpg (124.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 66.jpg (148.9 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 68.jpg (70.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 69.jpg (122.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 70.jpg (137.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 71.jpg (132.9 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 72.jpg (84.1 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 74.jpg (130.6 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 75.jpg (80.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 76.jpg (40.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 77.jpg (151.9 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 78.jpg (117.4 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 81.jpg (44.8 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 82.jpg (82.6 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 83.jpg (96.2 KB, 31 views)

Old 10-27-2011, 11:30 PM   #94
JM 35 Sedan

15 more
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 84.jpg (79.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 85.jpg (42.8 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 87.jpg (123.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 88.jpg (136.0 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 90.jpg (86.8 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 91.jpg (76.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 92.jpg (77.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 93.jpg (94.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 94.jpg (80.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 95.jpg (113.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 97.jpg (19.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 98.jpg (65.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 99.jpg (86.0 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 100.jpg (95.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Skyline Dr BRP Tour 10-15-11 101.jpg (116.0 KB, 17 views)

Old 10-27-2011, 11:36 PM   #95
JM 35 Sedan

and that's all folks

Old 10-28-2011, 04:31 AM   #96
BILL WZOREK

Thanks John

Great Pictures.

BILL W
Old 10-28-2011, 06:01 AM   #97
chuck stevens

Great pictures John, Kathie and I have already decided to return to fancy gap and go the rest of the way to Ashville sometime, maybe in the spring. She loved the pictures of that mansion and private lake. I guess these v8 fords really proved themselves on this trip, 1,400 miles+ by the time we got home.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue ridge trip 008.jpg (54.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-28-2011, 06:50 AM   #98
31chevy

Very nice pictures, JM 35 Sedan. The wife and I were there in 1954. My first car was a 1935 ford 2dr. slant back. Do you have mechanical brakes on your car, & if so were there a few scary moments? We had a 1954 ford for that trip, 1st overhead valve.
Gary.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:38 AM   #99
Cecil/WV

Nice pictures, John, and it was good to spend a day with you and Chuck. It looks like the trip got a lot more enjoyable after you visited the still!!
Old 10-28-2011, 08:32 AM   #100
Richard Wilson

Good job John. Thanks for sharing the pictures. I drive on the BRP at least once a week and recognized many of the locations in your pictures.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #101
Pat/Ohio

John,

Thanks for sharing your pictures! I feel like I was there with you...I especially like the shots from the driver's seat. Would like to tour with you folks sometime.

Regards,
Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:26 AM   #102
40cpe

As pretty as the pictures are, from my previous visit to the parkway I know that they don't do the scenery justice. Thanks for going to the trouble of posting the beautiful shots. I'm sorry I didn't catch up with you at Dawsonville, but I did get to see your great (and now famous) car.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #103
Butch11443

Thanks for the pictures John. Me & wife made the trip from Charlotte NC to Ashville, then to TN a few years ago with out 31. It was quite beautiful.
Butch
Butch11443 is offline   Reply With Quote