Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-22-2011, 03:44 PM   #21
jim1932

Default Re: The Blue Ridge Mountain. Parkway Tour, Oct., 2011

Vic, I guess she didn't want a Mo' hair interior...... oh that is bad.....
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:33 PM   #22
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1932 View Post
Vic, I guess she didn't want a Mo' hair interior...... oh that is bad.....
Jim, that's almost as bad as my stuff... I post more of the "cartoons" promoting various events over on the non-Chevy part of the ChevyBarn.com. Vic
Old 06-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #23
Hoop

I could never get my Dad interested in old car tours ....

Old 06-23-2011, 06:26 AM   #24
chuck stevens

Hey John,
How about a start date, the date you will be leaving Front Royal. Kath and I have to make motel reservations for the date before we leave. Thanks Chuck.
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #25
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck stevens View Post
Hey John,
How about a start date, the date you will be leaving Front Royal. Kath and I have to make motel reservations for the date before we leave. Thanks Chuck.
Chuck, I sent you a pm on this around 10:00 am this morning.

The start date for the BRMPW Tour will be October 15th at ~ 9:00 AM.
I will be traveling to Front Royal, VA next week to look for a good hotel near a Cracker Barrel Restaurant where we could spend the night on 10/14 and have breakfast on the 15th before we gather to start the tour. More news/info to follow as it becomes available.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #26
phartman

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
John, you want to drum up some other participants by posting this announcement on other sites? Or keep it a little quiet? I haven't seen it mentioned on other sites like Jalopy Journal or the Central Virginia Car Club Council events page. Didn't know how you felt about it getting larger and possibly out of hand. Maybe we ought to keep it low key? Please let us know your thoughts here. If you say so, mum's the word.

Pete
phartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #27
Vic Piano

Hi Pete, here's a little background on the "Barner's" events (for lack of a better description). We started the Florida FordBarn Meets back in 2006, with Shelly and the old FordBarn, and we've held one each year in and around the Tampa, FL area. Two years ago Tom T. promoted an event in Williamsburg, VA. Tom wanted to do another earlier this year but got little interest. At this year’s Florida "Barner's Bash" in March, JM came up with the idea of having a driving tour on the Blue Ridge Parkway.

In addition to the Florida events, I have been going to the Moonshine Festival in Dawsonville, GA for the last five years. The Moonshine Festival is the weekend following the dates for the Blue Ridge Tour. We’ve had great success with the Florida meets, usually two dozen plus participants and at least half a dozen Flatheads in attendance. I don’t know what JM’s plans are with respect to an “open invitation” going beyond the FordBarn & ChevyBarn (non-Chevy section) but the event sure sounds like fun. I wish I could make both events however, time and business commitments dictate otherwise. I am planning on being at the Moonshine Festival and I hope that I’ll see a lot of Barner’s there. Vic
Old 06-29-2011, 10:40 PM   #28
phartman

Vic, thanks for the background. I plan to participate in at least the first part of the Skyline Drive/Parkway leg. Can't take off the whole week, but would at least like to do part of the cruise. We have a very active group of drivers here in Virginia. I've sponsored a couple of Pete's Pie Runs (along with the great help of Doug Walker at Joe Smith Early Ford). We're always looking for good events, especially those that involve getting out and driving the cars. Tom T. was a participant in the last run. I know there are a couple guys that would love to participate here. Didn't know if that was ok or not. I can vouch for them. Really good folks.
Old 06-30-2011, 04:41 AM   #29
PeteVS

WEATHER.... Several years ago, my wife and I were planning a trip south and we decided to do Sky Line Drive. We booked a room in Front Royal (I forget where) and headed out in the morning. It was overcast. Trouble was that as soon as we got far enough up, it turned out that the "overcast" as seen from down below was actually fog when we got to its altitude. Did a lot of fog driving that morning until we got to a point where we could get down off the mountain. Did it a couple of years later and it was wonderful. It's hard to plan with conditions like that.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:38 AM   #30
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by phartman View Post
Vic, thanks for the background. I plan to participate in at least the first part of the Skyline Drive/Parkway leg. Can't take off the whole week, but would at least like to do part of the cruise. We have a very active group of drivers here in Virginia. I've sponsored a couple of Pete's Pie Runs (along with the great help of Doug Walker at Joe Smith Early Ford). We're always looking for good events, especially those that involve getting out and driving the cars. Tom T. was a participant in the last run. I know there are a couple guys that would love to participate here. Didn't know if that was ok or not. I can vouch for them. Really good folks.
Pete, I don't know how many have contacted JM wanting to go on the Tour. Knowing John, I'm sure he would welcome everyone. Like I said, I wish I could go on the BRP Tour, maybe next year... Vic
Old 06-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #31
phartman

There is a growing movement here in Virginia that we call The Anti Car Show. Too many guys are going to a parking lot, setting up a lawn chair and sitting on their butts the rest of the day. As the car owner you pay to get into the show. And the rest of the day you sit there while people who didn't pay walk by and remark on all the things you did wrong to your car. No thanks.

The Anti Car Show movement isn't against parking lot shows, per se, but is an effort to recognize that these vehicles were meant to be driven. Whatever it is that you got. And that's what we want to do. Drive 'em. The Blue Ridge Tour is just perfect for this group of kindred sprirts.

That was the whole thought, too, behind the occassional Pete's Pie Runs- get out and drive. Well, not entirely. There was the pie part. Who don't like pie? And there are plenty of places to stop for pie along the Parkway.

I'm in. I'll bring some of my pie eatin' buddies. They're crazy about peach, apple, chocolate, coconut, lemon...you name it.

Can't wait.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:12 PM   #32
Vic Piano

Oh yeah, we are all about driving our Flatheads.

Pete, C'mon down the Moonshine Festival and I'll treat you to a fried peach pie at the Varsity on the Georgia 400 highway just south of Dawsonville. Vic
Old 06-30-2011, 01:48 PM   #33
phartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Oh yeah, we are all about driving our Flatheads.

Pete, C'mon down the Moonshine Festival and I'll treat you to a fried peach pie at the Varsity on the Georgia 400 highway just south of Dawsonville. Vic
Oh man, Vic, it's not nice to toy with my emotions like that!!!
Old 06-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #34
TomT/Williamsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by phartman View Post
Oh man, Vic, it's not nice to toy with my emotions like that!!!

Oh boy, Vic - now you did it! Pete is the "ultimate" pie man and does many "pie runs" here in VA - he's the "con-no-sewer" of pie!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:14 PM   #35
Vic Piano

Hi Tom, Pete's got to know that there's no better pie than a fried peach pie and a frosted orange drink from the Varsity to wash it down!
Old 06-30-2011, 03:49 PM   #36
jim1932

Might have to come off the parkway for Mrs. Rowes in Staunton.... Damn good pies.
jim1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #37
phartman

Pete's Pie Run #1 had Mrs. Rowe's as our destination. Oh baby.

http://www.mrsrowes.com/index.html

Last edited by phartman; 06-30-2011 at 05:04 PM.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:10 PM   #38
Jerry Parr WI

I would love to do that tour again. Wife and I drove our 30 Cabriolet from Wisc to Front Royal, VA. Took Skyline Drive and The Blue Ridge Parkway from there to the Smoky Mountains. We stayed mostly at B&B's along the route. Then from Gatlinburg flat out to make the show in Iola. We spent 28 days on the road and averaged about 100 miles a day counting some days we just relaxed. We put the top up one day because of the heat but it stayed down every other day. A great way to spend a vacation!!
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:07 AM   #39
Merlin

Somebody say pie.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 09:15 AM   #40
JM 35 Sedan

Pete (phartman), The BRMPW Tour is open to anyone who would like to attend. I doubt we will get to the point that we would have too many attending. I've only promoted the tour so far on the Ford Barn and the Chevy Barn. I may post something on the EFV8C/A website. If someone wants to mention the tour on other websites that wold be ok with me. What I am doing now is compiling a list of names with their contact information of all the folks who have let me know they are interested in going. Anyone who has n ot yet contacted me, please do so by sending me a PM, an email, or call 1-410-299-1715. I have spent some time in the last few days reading literature, studying maps, and reviewing suggestions from others on things to do, places to see, restaurants to eat at and places stay for night. The pie idea sounds real good! :-). Stay tuned for more info as it becomes available and Vic's great promotional ads.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote