Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #1
quickchange

Default Mikes afordable transmission

Interested to know if anyone has run the transmission Mikes sell, Made in sweden, Always good to hear how new products work. Good Bad or Ugly.
quickchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Mikes afordable transmission

Is this the one that was made in India or somewhere a couple years ago?

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
quickchange

No advertised as made in Denmark not sweden, Complete transmision or can buy gears separate , Mikesafordable , Great folk to deal with ,
Old 07-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
johnsor

I really don't like to "bad mouth" a parts supplier, but two years ago I bought one of those new transmissions made in Denmark from Mikes Affordable Parts instead of simply rebuilding my old noisey one with new USA parts. Lots of work pulling the rear end and so forth to install the new one. Problem is that it jumps out of high gear when on compression. I called Mike's to complain and they said they would send me another new one in exchange (no charge). They cautioned me of the importance of properly aligning the bell housing to the flywheel with a maximum run out of .005" With a machinists micrometer, my TIR was less than .001" Pilot bearing was new and so forth. Lots more work of again removing the rear end to install the new replacement transmission Mike's sent me free. All back together and I took it out for a tryal run. SAME DAMN THING! Still jumps out of high gear when backing off downhill or coming to a stop sign. I now just put up with it by holding the shift lever down firmly. It's O.K. when under power. Someday I'll "bite the bullet" and rebuild my old transmission like I should have done in the first place, and of course drop the rear end AGAIN to do so.

I know that Mike's is a very good Model A parts supplier and good and helpful people, but I wouldn't install another of those Denmark made transmissions if they were free. Sorry Mike.
johnsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:49 PM   #5
quickchange

This is what i want to hear , 1st hand reports good or bad , This is what this site is about helping others , Great.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
Evan Lewis

Just curious, have you discussed this continuing problem further with anyone at Mike's? They may have a solution for you and would work with you to resolve this. They always have with me.
Evan
Evan Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:44 PM   #7
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsor View Post
I really don't like to "bad mouth" a parts supplier, but two years ago I bought one of those new transmissions made in Denmark from Mikes Affordable Parts instead of simply rebuilding my old noisey one with new USA parts. Lots of work pulling the rear end and so forth to install the new one. Problem is that it jumps out of high gear when on compression. I called Mike's to complain and they said they would send me another new one in exchange (no charge). They cautioned me of the importance of properly aligning the bell housing to the flywheel with a maximum run out of .005" With a machinists micrometer, my TIR was less than .001" Pilot bearing was new and so forth. Lots more work of again removing the rear end to install the new replacement transmission Mike's sent me free. All back together and I took it out for a tryal run. SAME DAMN THING! Still jumps out of high gear when backing off downhill or coming to a stop sign. I now just put up with it by holding the shift lever down firmly. It's O.K. when under power. Someday I'll "bite the bullet" and rebuild my old transmission like I should have done in the first place, and of course drop the rear end AGAIN to do so.

I know that Mike's is a very good Model A parts supplier and good and helpful people, but I wouldn't install another of those Denmark made transmissions if they were free. Sorry Mike.
Curious, do their transmissions come with the shift cover, or are you using your original?
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #8
5window

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickchange View Post
This is what i want to hear , 1st hand reports good or bad , This is what this site is about helping others , Great.
True, but the sample size is 1.
5window is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #9
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ/40 View Post
Curious, do their transmissions come with the shift cover, or are you using your original?
You can get it with or without. I know where you are going with the question.
Old 07-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
johnsor

Evan - After returning the first Denmark transmission to Mikes, I had a lengthly phone conversation with their "expert" regarding the possible reasons for the problem. In addition to the bell housing alignment and condition of the pilot bearing, I was advised that a worn or sloppy shifting tower could also be the problem. So, prior to installing the second new transmission I completely rebuilt the shifting tower (reformed and ground the shift lever ball to proper size, resized the notch the ball operates in, new shift rails detent balls and springs). So everything Mike's advised was rebuilt or replaced. Then installed the second new transmission and it also jumped out of high gear on compression. I am not going to continue changing transmissions without confidence that it will work well, and due to all my work and experience with the Denmark transmission, I am convinced that there is something dimensionally wrong. To me, it appears that the high gear is not engaging far enough to stay engaged.

Over many years and many Model A's I have never had a problem with jumping out of high gear. The only resolution I would accept from Mike's now would be a financial credit for the faulty transmission I bought, but will not request it as "too much water under the bridge".
Old 07-12-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
Russ/40

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsor View Post
Evan - After returning the first Denmark transmission to Mikes, I had a lengthly phone conversation with their "expert" regarding the possible reasons for the problem. In addition to the bell housing alignment and condition of the pilot bearing, I was advised that a worn or sloppy shifting tower could also be the problem. So, prior to installing the second new transmission I completely rebuilt the shifting tower (reformed and ground the shift lever ball to proper size, resized the notch the ball operates in, new shift rails detent balls and springs). So everything Mike's advised was rebuilt or replaced. Then installed the second new transmission and it also jumped out of high gear on compression. I am not going to continue changing transmissions without confidence that it will work well, and due to all my work and experience with the Denmark transmission, I am convinced that there is something dimensionally wrong. To me, it appears that the high gear is not engaging far enough to stay engaged.

Over many years and many Model A's I have never had a problem with jumping out of high gear. The only resolution I would accept from Mike's now would be a financial credit for the faulty transmission I bought, but will not request it as "too much water under the bridge".
Did you replace the shifter forks? I have heard of slight bends in the forks that can cause partial engagement. Maybe even excessive wear on the forks.
Russ/40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
johnsor

Russ, rebuilding the shifting tower included carefully inspecting both shifting forks for straightness and proper thickness to fit into the gear channels without excessive clearance. I have a theory as to why I feel the Denmark high gear is demonsionally wrong, but too lengthy to get into here. Additionally, the tower worked fine in the former Ford transmission.

Being near eighty years old and working alone, it's a tough slog and one I won't do again unless I know what the outcome will be, which is to rebuild my old one with USA parts.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #13
quickchange

Had the problem with USA gears couple of years ago , The 2nd &top sliding gear was way too loose on the main shaft, appeared to wobble sideways which would kick it out of mesh. Held up to the sun you could see lots of light coming through as compared to an original set. Hence the question on the Denmark gears & folks experiance with any make , Thanks
Old 07-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #14
J Franklin

For accurate checking of sliding gear fit on main shaft see page 303 of the Ford service bulletins.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #15
BN

I purchased a Denmark main shaft from them a couple of years ago. My Ford low reverse slider was almost a press fit on the main shaft. Fortunately, I have a lathe with a grinder attachment and after removing .0005" I got the desired slide fit.