Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2023, 07:49 AM   #21
bobbader

Default Re: Chickasha 2023 thoughts??

The conversation could be much the same if asked for comments about Hershey this year. After many of us stayed at home for 2 years during the height of COVID, people were clamoring to get back to the car shows, attendance went through the roof. That still pretty much rings true for the buyers. At the same time, there has been a shift in the way vendors do business. During those "stay at home" days, even those who just sell for "pin money" learned to sell online. Some found it as a means to keep cash flow moving. Others found that it takes a lot of the work & angst out of the mix. No more worrying about buyers showing up. no more worrying about the weather and "whether" parts could get damaged from an onslaught of rain ............. or all the expense involved. At the same time, the buyers have changed as well. As a vendor at Hershey, I ca tell you there are a lot more casual hobbyists than there were serious buyers in the past. We (both sides) come for that camaraderie we find so appealing. But, as Old Blue Oval mentioned, as vendors, we're not there to give stuff away either. It's a ton of work just to load the truck and "get there". So, while we all still look forward to these events, things have changed. We've been forced to step back and re-evaluate our priorities. Things have changed. Not easy for any of us to accept.
bobbader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 07:58 AM   #22
ronn

Because I observe and report what I see
when I attend swap meets - my attention
is focused on human interaction.

thanks for the update Brent. Had always wtd to go to this meet, but never made it. Guess I never will.....
still appreciate to hear whats going on out there.
ronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 09:15 AM   #23
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Thanks for the comments everyone. I am not suggesting that we quit attending swap meets, however my dilemma now is I have a month or so until I decide whether to renew spaces for Chickasha. While attending swap meets can definitely be a social event for some, -speaking only for me, attending socially is not a goal or a need. Personally speaking, being a good steward of my time is also important where attending an event that is not beneficial in obtaining good quality parts is considered a waste. In other words, the odds need to be favorable.

I too remember those days. Below the first 3 pix are of everything I purchased at the 2005 Chickasha. (I arrived with an empty trailer and pickup bed.) The 2nd set of 3 pix is what I purchased in 2019.

The last 2 pix is basically everything I could purchase at the 2022 Chickasha, ...and at 2023 Chickasha this past weekend, I could have loaded everything I purchased into the trunk of an automobile. That just goes to show how sparse good items at Chickasha has become. Since Pate was mentioned, I was 12 years old when the first Pate swap meet was held at Mr. Pate's ranch. It was a blast and my dad sold a lot -and bought a lot in those years. It was just as good as Chickasha was a decade or so ago. It is just my opinion, but I think the dinosaurs such as Hershey, Pate, Charlotte AutoFair, and similar sized meets are losing popularity to the smaller one or two-day meets such as Luray, Gilmore, etc.

Bill is correct on several levels above regarding the intention of a swap meet. And my recollection is there definitely were WAY more 'Mother Theresa's' found in the hobby 3 or 4 decades ago than today.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chickasha 2005 01.jpg (141.8 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg Chickasha 2005 02.jpg (136.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Chickasha 2005 06.jpg (92.8 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Chickasha 2019 01.jpg (134.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg Chickasha 2019 02.jpg (104.7 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Chickasha 2019 03.jpg (114.3 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Chickasha 2022 - 02.jpg (107.6 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Chickasha 2022 - 01.jpg (97.3 KB, 83 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 12:20 PM   #24
Seth Swoboda

The internet has diminshed the swap meet. It's much easier for people to get on the internet and look for parts to buy or parts to sell. It is also much cheaper and faster. Look at all the facebook groups that offer online swap meets. Same for Instagram. The Fordbarn for example. You can find most all the help or parts you need if you're able to network with the people right here.

Young folks these days don't care about the personal interaction. Mostly becuase they have only known a world with internet. They are also looking for self-gratification that comes instantly with the internet. Social media posting enables self promotion easier with these online communities.

I don't like it. It's not good. However, It's not going away. It has destroyed many good qualities of life.

It's the debate that will never stop. Is the hobby dying? People are still collecting cars and always will. There is a shift occuring from pre-war and even away from some post war cars to the cars of the 1970's and 1980's. Especially pickups and utility vehicles. People collect what they have fond memories of. The folks who rememeber Model A's and V8s in their youth are dying. Now it's the folks who remember the first generation Broncos or F150's, square body Chevy trucks and Blazers. There will always be those interested in Model A's and early V8 Fords. However the number of them is sharply decreasing. I guess one way of looking at it for me, I'm 42 years old, is that there should be cars coming up for sale that can be bought for less money. I don't get all wrapped up in what a car is worth as if it's some kind of investment. I enjoy driving and working on them.
Seth Swoboda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 01:03 PM   #25
Jordan

While I could not attend this swap meet this year, I do feel like threads such as this DETER future attendees as it will show up on a simple google search for anyone who googles "Chickasha Swap Meet". This does our hobby no good. There are many events I attend that aren't quite what they previously were-- but I still go and support the hobby where I can.

My two cents-- this type of rhetoric does not actually support the old car hobby. Maybe find two or three positives from the weekend and brag on those moments to encourage participation.
Old 03-21-2023, 02:59 PM   #26
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
While I could not attend this swap meet this year, I do feel like threads such as this DETER future attendees as it will show up on a simple google search for anyone who googles "Chickasha Swap Meet". This does our hobby no good. There are many events I attend that aren't quite what they previously were-- but I still go and support the hobby where I can.

My two cents-- this type of rhetoric does not actually support the old car hobby. Maybe find two or three positives from the weekend and brag on those moments to encourage participation.
Jordan, thank you for your comment. I believe my post in #6 did point out it was a great swap meet for me, so please count that as a positive. Mike & Susi are definitely trying and their hospitality is top-notch! That too is a positive. Grady County Fairgrounds is a phenomenal place considering what it was 25 years ago when I was attending swap meets there. Count that as a 3rd positive!! With all that said, I have always felt that people who know ALL the facts can generally make good decisions on their own. If I (-or anyone for that matter) were to pick their two or three positives to report and choose to suppress the facts, then maybe that would be bad for the hobby also. Maybe not??

Nonetheless, what I do know (-positive or negative) was I did not see a single restored, -or unrestored Model-A vehicle for sale there in 2023. I believe there was a restored A chassis for sale but not sure if it sold. Additionally there was not a single Model-A gas tank that I saw for sale that I considered restorable. I do not recall seeing a single Model-A body for sale, and while I bought a nice fender, there was very little decent Model-A sheetmetal there for sale. Maybe others were already sold by the time I made my rounds but no one I spoke with had seen any either?? Maybe next year will be different but the last couple of years have not produced much worthy sheetmetal either. None of this is good for the hobby IMO. Ironically, the parts mentioned, ...and along with quality Model-A parts (NOS, NORS, restored, etc.) ARE surfacing at these other swap meets, ...so it really isn't a valid excuse that these parts are not available to be sold. They are for sale at other swap meets, ....unfortunately just not at Chickasha.

Now how this topic directly affects me, is I need to make a decision on whether I am going to purchase spaces again for next year. Fuel for me this year was over $500 round-trip. 3 nights of lodging at $189.00, plus $100 for spaces and another 100 or so for food puts my costs to attend at over $1,200.00 before I bought or sold the first item. Other attendees are spending similar amounts to attend too. That is a lot of money to spend only to go home empty-handed!

So when I and others compare this meet to other meets (i.e.: Gilmore, Luray, AutoFair, Hershey, et/al), I really need to feel like it is going to be a value for me to attend. As I stated above, others told us as we were packing up on Saturday morning that they would not be back. These typically are vendors I also rely on to bring merchandise I can purchase for use. There was not a single Model-A new parts dealers setup. Not even a single Model-A engine rebuilder either. The only Model-A business vendor that I saw setup this year was Mike Francis with Classtique. Unfortunately, it has been this way for the last several years where the Cokers, Wallace Wades, or other professional Model-A parts vendors no longer vend at this meet. If I am wrong, please tell me, but I feel people should at least know the facts.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 03-21-2023, 03:34 PM   #27
Oldbluoval

Another thought in this….
Anyone considering we’re just running out of decent stuff? !!!

#2 is a lot of us have just run out of energy to load, drive 250-1000 miles, unload,’sit with the stuff for 2-3 days, ya ya, haggle, told your crazy , load, drive 250-1000 miles, unload, collapse from exhaustion. Do your accounting and find out you made expenses!!! I’m worn out from just typing this!
Bout the only time any cache of held parts comes out is when a collector dies!
Maybe the expectation of a yard of nos fenders is just pipe dreaming?
Most of good finds are by word of mouth.

Last edited by Oldbluoval; 03-21-2023 at 03:44 PM.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:07 PM   #28
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbluoval View Post
Another thought in this….
Anyone considering we’re just running out of decent stuff? !!!

#2 is a lot of us have just run out of energy to load, drive 250-1000 miles, unload,’sit with the stuff for 2-3 days, ya ya, haggle, told your crazy , load, drive 250-1000 miles, unload, collapse from exhaustion. Do your accounting and find out you made expenses!!! I’m worn out from just typing this!
Bout the only time any cache of held parts comes out is when a collector dies!
Maybe the expectation of a yard of nos fenders is just pipe dreaming?
Most of good finds are by word of mouth.
The best finds and deals are not advertised.
Seth Swoboda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:30 PM   #29
trulyvintage

Arrow Re: Chickasha 2023 thoughts??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post

I agree 100% …

@ https://youtu.be/5z7qQLpFeKQ

@ https://youtu.be/c6bJs3Fd_-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth Swoboda View Post

Young folks these days don't care about the personal interaction. Mostly becuase they have only known a world with internet. They are also looking for self-gratification that comes instantly with the internet. Social media posting enables self promotion easier with these online communities.

I don't like it. It's not good. However, It's not going away. It has destroyed many good qualities of life.
I visited with Ed Archer a few years back.
His interest started in high school when
his friend bought a Model T ….

@ https://youtu.be/0QK0kXEuAE8

Either someone is part of the Problem
Or part of the Solution

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 05:55 PM   #30
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by trulyvintage View Post
I agree 100% …

Either someone is part of the Problem
Or part of the Solution

Jim, you are welcome to voice your opinion in this however I do not believe you have attended the March Chickasha Swap Meet in the past several years. If that is the case, your comments are much akin to armchair quarterbacking where you likely did not know all of the facts. We all come to this forum to share ideas and gather factual information. In the very first post above, I politely asked for opinions from those that actually attended the 2023 Chickasha swap meet. Again, I refer you to reread the first sentence of this thread. I worded it that way simply because I feel I can make a smart decision when I know what the facts are and how other attendees felt about this year's event.

Additionally, I do not not want any controversy here however I also did not grow-up in an era where things needed to be sugarcoated or misrepresented just to keep from offending someone who might use Google for a review on something. IMHO, that is much akin to telling half-truths or intentionally misleading someone. I personally want no part of that.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 03-21-2023, 07:38 PM   #31
trulyvintage

Thumbs down Re: Chickasha 2023 thoughts??

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Jim, you are welcome to voice your opinion in this however I do not believe you have attended the March Chickasha Swap Meet in the past several years. If that is the case, your comments are much akin to armchair quarterbacking where you likely did not know all of the facts.
I don’t need your permission to post comments.

I have attended several automotive swap meets
all around the country over several years
at my expense to observe and share for
those who cannot attend
utilizing photographs & videos.

I have posted videos I took from 2021
Chickasha Swap Meet on this thread.

When I walk swap meets I focus on the
human interaction which often features
examples of kindness - sharing - education.

These - do not have a monetary value.

For Those Who Chase The Dollar.
That is your motivation & your right.

Wanna increase your bottom line ?

Stay Home - Save Money.

Folks selling at swap meets
don’t relish the opportunity to
travel a distance so they can
sell to retail restoration
and parts re-sellers who
operate retail businesses.

What I see at swap meets:

The Thanksgiving Table

Friendships made & renewed
Young & old folks educated
Respect earned & paid
Faith Maintained

I was raised in a family business.
I have been self employed most
of my life by choice.

Jim

Last edited by trulyvintage; 03-21-2023 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-22-2023, 06:06 AM   #32
trulyvintage

Arrow Chickasha 2023 thoughts??

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F19EE739-EDC0-4C14-A198-DBE101364DA4.jpg (75.4 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg FE3E4792-C0A3-42E2-B015-8E3EBD15E7AD.jpg (69.0 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg 7A789CD2-9D7F-4FF2-A51B-B11956D1690A.jpg (50.7 KB, 225 views)
Old 03-22-2023, 06:09 AM   #33
Oldbluoval

Last post…then maybe this thread dies!
Jim, to me, seems Brent was acknowledging your RIGHT to post…not giving permission!
You seem to agitate easily.
He did ask for those that attended Chickasha…..therefore I, too, should not be posting. But, as usual, we have huge subject drift
PEACE
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 07:34 AM   #34
trulyvintage

Arrow The Death Of The Bakersfield Swap Meet

On my way to The 2021 Chickasha Swap Meet
I picked a Model T in Bakersfield, California
and conducted an interview with
Mr. Wayne Rich the owner …

The interview is @ https://youtu.be/XXIDsgX2DVs

The Bakersfield Swap Meet had just been
Killed by the HCCA - instead of passing
the torch to others committed to continuing
the tradition - they killed it.

That - came from one of the original organizers
who was there when I was doing the interview.

He was in the bed of his pick up truck
when he told me that they made
the decision to kill it ….

You haven’t seen me “ AGITATED “ ….

Jim
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 0AECD2A9-B96F-4AE9-A5D4-B2662CD888CE.jpeg (76.1 KB, 225 views)
Old 03-23-2023, 04:31 PM   #35
DickCrabtree

He bought it on the way to Chickasha which is why it was not for sale.
DickCrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 09:24 PM   #36
SteveB31

I haven’t been to a swap meet in five years. I likely buy and sell more Model A Parts then anyone on this forum every year. The internet , for the most parts, has replaced swap meets. As Brent noted in one of his comments, he spent $1200 going to the swap meet. Most folks won’t spend $1200 going to a swap meet knowing they might not find anything, when they often can sit at home, and with some work, find what they need and have it shipped to their door. I buy parts every week from folks that have hoarded them for years, then sell them on the internet, rather then spend a lot of cash on gas and motels on the hopes of maybe finding something at a swap meet. I do love seeing folks, and really love the MARC meet swap meets, as they often have good parts for just the types of cars I am,looking for (Model A’s). Just my opinion…..
SteveB31 is offline   Reply With Quote