Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2023, 01:50 PM   #1
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default O/T Need to add water to a sealed battery.

I need to add some water to a fairly new 12v battery that was inadvertently turned onto its side and some liquid leaked out the vent that is moulded into the top. Since the top is sealed, I am trying to determine my course of action and need some 'brain-power' from the likes of folks here as to whether I am thinking this thru correctly.

As mentioned, a 6 month old 12v battery was turned-over briefly (-by accident) which caused some of the acid to leak onto the floor. The battery was uprighted fairly quickly however some acid did leak out. Upon inspecting the battery, Rural King's battery manufacturer has no intentions of any consumer removing the top of this battery. While I have no idea how much acid escaped, I do feel it likely needs to have one (or more) cells have their liquid replenished to avoid burning up a cell due to lack of acid. Unfortunately the case is black plastic and using a light to see thru the case is not an option.

So after pondering on this for a few days, I think my plan is to add water back into the battery by placing the battery down inside a small Rubbermaid trash can and pour water around the battery until the level rises sufficiently where the water can enter the vent and hopefully replenish the lost acid.
Sooo, am I correct that the battery acid will be heavier than the water which should cause the acid to stay submerged inside of the cell and not float out as the water level is increased?

Does anyone see something I am not thinking about? I am thinking the water level should only rise to the top of the case. If water does rise high enough where the two posts are submerged in (-or touching) the water surrounding the battery, is this going to cause any unexpected 'fireworks' or create a short to the battery?? Based on thinking about the battery tester I have where the charged battery causes the little ball to float (-but not a dead battery), am I correct that the acid is only heavier than water when it is sufficiently charged. If so, discharging the battery in an effort to eliminate 'fireworks' may not be an option if submerging the battery would cause the acid to float away. Based on the design of the case, I am unsure if a syringe would work at refilling thru the vent.

Again, I just want to replenish the missing acid with water in one or more cells but not overfill or cause any unnecessary excitement in that process. Thoughts??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 02:07 PM   #2
Big hammer

Default Re: O/T Need to add water to a sealed battery.

I took a battery back to napa for warranty, the salesman used his pocket screwdriver and popped the sealed top off. He complained that it was overfilled? and who did this, no one I said, I didn’t know you could pop the top off. The top was one piece from side to side and a different color then the case or top
Old 02-14-2023, 03:21 PM   #3
ronn

Brent, I would pass on the battery and just attempt to replace it where it was bought.

I am sure the battery may be used, but how good will it now be and for how long?
ronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 04:01 PM   #4
McMimmcs

You might replace water but what about the lost acid. I would also return it to the retailer and ask for assistance. JMO. Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 04:28 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
You might replace water but what about the lost acid. I would also return it to the retailer and ask for assistance. JMO. Wayne
What do I need to tell these people? How fishy does this sound? "I am bringing this battery back for warranty because I think the acid level is low!" The store clerk responds "Mr. Terry, I don't believe the level is low." So how do I present this where I can actually get them to warranty this thing (ethically) with the least amount of hassle??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 02-14-2023, 04:37 PM   #6
trulyvintage

Lightbulb O/T Need to add water to a sealed battery.

Take the battery back.
Tell them it won’t hold a charge.
They should be able to determine why.

Jim
trulyvintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 06:11 PM   #7
ronn

truly has said it best- being honest and how can you help me with my problem?

Brent, with your charm, there will only be smiles and kindness!
ronn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 07:57 PM   #8
Gene F

Used to be you could peel the label back, and still open them. The pop the top off thing mentioned above sounds interesting, but I wonder about the posts... Adding water to me is a no-no. If ya go to NAPA they can order you a small box with a baggie of acid in it. If ya put water in it to any degree it's over.
Gene F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 07:58 PM   #9
eagle

Drill an 1/8" hole over each cell, use a capilliary tube to refill using battery acid, then put a stainless steel screw in each hole. It will void the warranty, but it really isn't ethical in my mind to return a battery under warranty that you knowingly caused a potential problem with.
Old 02-14-2023, 08:24 PM   #10
GPierce

DISTILLED water is an insulator. It is the dissolved solids in water that conducts electrity.
GPierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 08:29 PM   #11
Kurt in NJ

I just looked at the napa legend in my car, it has screw caps, some of the modern batteries look like sealed but the whole vent unit will pop off, have you poked around some to see if the top comes off as assembly?
If you were to get it to suck in fluid there would be no way to know which cell it would go into—- probably the closest cell would get it all till it overflowed—- then you would have the problem of corrosion when it charges
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 08:44 PM   #12
daveymc29

Honest often pays dividends not expected. Would you want a customer to be dishonest with you? Probably not. I'd give the truth a try and chalk up whatever I learned from this experience to Knowledge gained at a price. Then I'd try geting the case apart and refill the low cell(s) with battery acid and reinstal the battery cover.

jmho.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 08:54 PM   #13
alexiskai

I’m confused- isn’t it a standard consumer expectation that sealed lead acid batteries can be turned on their side without leaking? This product seems defective.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 09:40 PM   #14
rotorwrench

The sealed batteries are valve regulated but they should hold their mud. I have an old skyjack lift that has the batteries turned up on end and they don't leak. I'd turn it in for full warranty. An AGM battery has the electrolyte in the glass mat and it should stay in the mat. Your other option is to use it as is until it dies. If it dies under warranty then it might be replaced unless they pro rate the warranty.

A battery that is fully charged will have the correct specific gravity. As the battery discharges, most of the acid absorbs into the lead plate matrix so the electrolyte is reduced to a state where it is more like water than acid. The full SG is 1.280 and dead SG is 1.120. The specific gravity of water is 1.0 @ 4 degrees C so there is still a little bit of sulfur in it.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-14-2023 at 09:47 PM.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 07:17 AM   #15
nkaminar

Weigh your battery and compare that weight to a new one. That will give you some indication of how much acid was spilled. Weigh a few new batteries to give you a range of weights and use the average.

I would be inclined to just use the battery if the loss is not excessive.

Some photos would help identify if it is the kind where the caps can be pried off. Plus some brand and model information.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 07:28 AM   #16
jack backer
BANNED

If it comes down to ethics just purchasing a ‘Rural King’ battery places it in doubt. Humor aside it is made by Exide.. only two battery manufacturers in the US, Exide and Johnson Controls. Given the price of the RK it’s not serviceable, just vented.
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 07:51 AM   #17
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveymc29 View Post
Honest often pays dividends not expected. Would you want a customer to be dishonest with you? Probably not. I'd give the truth a try and chalk up whatever I learned from this experience to Knowledge gained at a price. Then I'd try geting the case apart and refill the low cell(s) with battery acid and reinstal the battery cover.

jmho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack backer View Post
If it comes down to ethics just purchasing a ‘Rural King’ battery places it in doubt. Humor aside it is made by Exide.. only two battery manufacturers in the US, Exide and Johnson Controls. Given the price of the RK it’s not serviceable, just vented.

Isn't it funny how this thread turned from something about asking for thoughts on how I can refill this thing, ...to a discussion about ethics. Jack is correct in that when a lower-end battery is purchased, the expectations should be less. Ironically, the RK battery does have a better warranty (24 month free replacement & 60 month prorated) than most of the local big box auto parts stores.

Ironically, the warranty calls for replacement if it "malfunctions", and as Colin pointed out, a sealed battery really should not leak acid if we are to go by the implication of the name. What is the definition of 'sealed'? Maybe I ask the store clerk if this is covered and go from there? Or, maybe it is better for me to go back to my original question and ask for guidance or thoughts on how to replenish the water in the cells. For the immediate, that one is the direction I wish to pursue.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com

Old 02-15-2023, 08:11 AM   #18
Benson

Actually THERE ARE MORE THAN Two battery companies:

Who Makes NAPA Legend Premium Batteries?

East Penn Manufacturing makes NAPA Legend premium batteries. Their 70+ years of experience helps them maintain their commitment to excellence with this high-performing battery. It features 20x vibration resistance, a spill-proof design, double cycle life, and faster recharging.

These batteries are supported by the AAA and used by professionals for their high-performance capabilities. It is a high-powered, maintenance-free vehicle battery that will last a long time.

Note Deka brand batteries are a brand NAME of East PENN MANUFACURING.

East Penn main plant is in Berks County, PA with Distribution in two places in Iowa.

Last edited by Benson; 02-15-2023 at 08:17 AM.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 08:17 AM   #19
rotorwrench

Read up on AGM batteries. They should not have free liquid electrolyte in them to the point it could leak out. The cell is designed to hold the electrolyte in the glass mat. The valve is designed to bleed off hydrogen if the battery is taxed on overcharge and the pressure gets too high inside the case. If you open the cells to the atmosphere then the battery will dehydrate out after an unknown period of time. It will also allow free discharge of hydrogen. A person would be, in effect, turning the battery into a wet cell battery. Warranty would likely be voided as well.

If a person wants to take this action then it likely won't hurt anything but the warranty. Most counter people don't care about the battery brought in with problems. They might test it or not. Some might be pickier than others so there is an element of risk. If you aren't concerned about that then find some small plugs to fit any holes you drill into the battery.
rotorwrench is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 09:58 AM   #20
Badpuppy

SLA batteries should not leak. That's why they are allowed to be shipped whereas standard LA batteries are not. Take it back under warranty.
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote