Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2017, 11:59 AM   #1
dean from bozeman

Default Original Roof

Hello Fellow Model A'ers.

I asked this question on the early V-8 board but got no advice. Thought that I would try it here:

I have been lucky enough to find a nice original '36 Tudor. Through the years it has had a new coat of paint sprayed over the original but the original interior has survived and is still usable.

My question is: what could/should I put on the original cloth top to preserve it. I sure would hate to have it damaged by the sun after all these years. The material looks very similar to that on a Model A.

It's a car that I want to enjoy and not just keep prisoner in a garage. Yet I don't want to damage the original materials in and on it.

Thanks in advance.
Dean
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:38 PM   #2
FrankWest

Default Re: Original Roof

This is what I use on my "original Roof?" 1933 fordor

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product...er+dressing.do
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
phonconn

Dean,
There was a product called "top dressing" and I used to have some original bottles or cans of it but have since sold them off. It gave a rather leather like finish to the top material and I have had cars in the past that came to me with this dressing applied in years past. It keeps the material soft and pliable as well give it a coating of black something. Wish I had some of this left but went with some of the original chassis paint I had from collecting these past 40 years. If someone knew the composition of what was in that "top dressing" you might be well able to duplicate it.
Best,
Dan B
phonconn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:10 PM   #4
160B

I have used the Dupont THICKOTE TOP DRESSING on the original top on my 1931 160B. When I acquired the vehicle in 1998 it had a few leaks in the top fabric. I used the Dupont Top dressing and have not had any leaks since. I have driven the vehicle 30,000 miles in all weather conditions.

See attached photos of the top dressing can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010700.jpg (51.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg P1010699.jpg (55.9 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg P1010701.jpg (45.9 KB, 37 views)

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #5
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160B View Post
I have used the Dupont THICKOTE TOP DRESSING on the original top on my 1931 160B. When I acquired the vehicle in 1998 it had a few leaks in the top fabric. I used the Dupont Top dressing and have not had any leaks since. I have driven the vehicle 30,000 miles in all weather conditions.

Do they still make this or do we have to find new old stock?
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 02:38 PM   #6
mhsprecher

It looks like you have to buy NOS. It appears it is not too difficult to find, based on a quick search.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 11:26 PM   #7
Chris Haynes

There are a few NOS cans on eBay now. I just bought one. :-)
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 03:42 AM   #8
30aadoodlebug

Roofing sealer works great as well. That's what is on the roof of my 30 Tudor survivor, and haven't had a leak yet when caught in the rain a few times.
30aadoodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 10:27 AM   #9
dean from bozeman

Chris, thanks for the headsup about the Dupont Thickote Top Dressing being on eBay. I, too, have bought a can. Hopefully this will protect the original top for the next 80 years.
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:33 AM   #10
Vern

Dean, where are the photos?
Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 11:25 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by 160B View Post

Just to add information to this thread for the future, what has been used to thin the old stuff if needed?
Old 07-15-2017, 06:00 AM   #12
ronn

only see one can left on ebay...............

hurry before it's gone!

ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:58 AM   #13
Bill Cilker

I have used Dupont Thickote on the roof of my original Victoria and it did a good job. It does hide the grain of the original material.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4531 s.jpg (45.9 KB, 40 views)
Victoria Association President
Bill Cilker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 09:51 AM   #14
700rpm

I have thought about renewing the top sealant on my 29 business coupe, but given that it is only a single thickness of fabric, I am concerned about the chemical odor permeating the interior of the car and making it unpleasant or even unhealthy. Can anyone advise me what they have used on older sport coupe and business coupe tops, and has odor been a problem?

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 07-15-2017 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Correct typo
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:31 AM   #15
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Just to add information to this thread for the future, what has been used to thin the old stuff if needed?
The instructions on the can state to use turpentine or turpentine substitute as a thinner.

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
Old 07-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #16
160B

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
I have thought about renewing the top sealant on my 29 business coupe, but given that it is only a single thickness of fabric, I am concerned about the chemical odor permeating the interior of the car and making it unpleasant or even unhealthy. Can anyone advise me what they have used on older sport coupe and business coupe tops, and has odor been a problem?
FYI
The instructions on the DuPont Thickote can states "Not for use on sport tops".

Old 07-15-2017, 11:55 AM   #17
mike657894

Are you really sure that the roof is original. Take some photos and verify on the barn its the right original material. my car has been under cover in a garage verified since 1976. the car had one layer of paint over the ford paint that paint was painted over the canvas twice shellaced replacement roof cover. the blue metallic 50s paint crackled the shelac. the wood was sligthly soft in the nail channel so i had to use larger tacks and they didnt allow the use of the standard metal stip. so account for the tab if you redo your roof. it was easily remedied with some applied chrome strip but that wouldnt do for a judged car. My point being roofs got repaired during the first owners years on a lot of cars. You may be preserving an old cheap replacement.

side note: I did my roof in a pretty inexpensive quality marine grade black vinyl and it looks good. again not up to judging but the casual observer thinks its correct and looks great.
mike657894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:03 PM   #18
700rpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike657894 View Post
Are you really sure that the roof is original. Take some photos and verify on the barn its the right original material. my car has been under cover in a garage verified since 1976. the car had one layer of paint over the ford paint that paint was painted over the canvas twice shellaced replacement roof cover. the blue metallic 50s paint crackled the shelac. the wood was sligthly soft in the nail channel so i had to use larger tacks and they didnt allow the use of the standard metal stip. so account for the tab if you redo your roof. it was easily remedied with some applied chrome strip but that wouldnt do for a judged car. My point being roofs got repaired during the first owners years on a lot of cars. You may be preserving an old cheap replacement.

side note: I did my roof in a pretty inexpensive quality marine grade black vinyl and it looks good. again not up to judging but the casual observer thinks its correct and looks great.
No, I am certain that is not the original top material. But the complexity of removing that top with an original belly band on it makes sealant the only practical solution. The band is too delicate to remove and replace. I did that once, and was lucky. I wouldn't attempt it again.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #19
mike657894

"dont cling to a mistake because you spent a long time making it." that is a good quote.

I did destroy the long band in doing my roof but it came off quick. but saved the front band.
Old 07-15-2017, 12:17 PM   #20
mike657894

7$ a yard marine vinyl and shhhh. 9$ shipped from china what they call "panoplied of car" for the chrome strip. It wouldnt bend the 90s but laying it over and cutting a line where the opposing edges found their mitre on the rear corners left two small but very well matched seams.