Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-30-2023, 01:43 PM   #1
johnbuckley

Default Cluster gear shaft- drive out forwards or backwards?

Les Andrews book p 1-336 says "the cluster gear shaft is slightly larger diameter ( 0.001 ") at the front end and should only be removed through the front of the transmission case. Forcing the shaft out the rear may crack the case" , but a couple of the Youtube clips of transmission rebuilding rebuilding show the shaft being driven out backwards. Did the spec of both the the cluster shaft and the case change when rubber O rings were fitted?
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 02:29 PM   #2
Steve Schmauch

Default Re: Cluster gear shaft- drive out forwards or backwards?

Hello John--Les Andrew's information is correct and the videos are incorrect. The cluster gear shaft should always be removed/installed from the front of the transmission case. The spec diameter of the shaft did not change; only the addition of an O ring on the new shafts. The O rings tend to shear when installed due to the close tolerance of the case hole. It is better to use a sealant on the exterior of the case on both ends. It will be most helpful if you use an old shaft inserted a few inches into the rear of the case to properly align the cluster gear and bearings, and then insert the new shaft into the front of the case. This will allow easy installation without damaging the cluster bearings. Otherwise it is difficult to align the cluster gear while installing the new shaft, and the front edge of the shaft can hang up and damage the cage of a bearing, especially if it is forced through.
Steve Schmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2023, 03:12 PM   #3
Tom Endy

I always remove the cluster shaft out the front and install it from the front. I use a tapered stone on a drill motor and chamfer the sharp edge on the two shaft holes at the back. I remove the O-ring from the cluster shaft before installing from the front. I push it far enough back to re-install the O-ring. I coat the O-rings on both shafts with Vaseline before tapping them into place.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 11:22 AM   #4
johnbuckley

Thank s Steve and Tom . Shaft now safely removed and re-installed thanks to your advice.
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote