Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-14-2024, 11:11 PM   #1
19Fordy

Default Need help installing Universal Joint Repair kit.

1928-48 Ford Universal Joint Repair.
I installed the center cross piece with 2 bearings opposite each other on one half of the U-Joint . That half of the U-Joint yoke swivels and slides in and out nicely as it should with no play.

When I installed the bearings in the other half of the U-joint, that yoke became very tight and would not swivel or slide like the other half does. It feels like the bearing is being crushed to tight. Each bearing fits fine on the center cross piece when the bearing is not pressed into the yoke. But, when the bearing is inserted in the yoke, it's too tight. I removed all burrs and sharp edges.

Summary: In the first photo the yoke on the bottom works fine. But, when the other yoke in the bottom of the first photo is assembled to the other two bearings the fit becomes very tight. That yoke is very hard to swivel or slide as it should. Seems to be binding. Takes a lot of effort to make it swivel and slide. Won't slide by hand.

The U-Joint repair kit was expensive so I don't want to damage it. Is this the way it's suppose to be when new so that it gradually "wears in".
What am I doing wrong?
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, JIM
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5667.jpg (39.1 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5668.jpg (33.9 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5669.jpg (36.3 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5674.jpg (62.7 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by 19Fordy; 02-14-2024 at 11:30 PM.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 11:22 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Need help installing Universal Joint Repair kit.

A long time ago, when I was young, I had the same problem. On disassembly, I found one of the needle bearings had "fallen down" in the cap and was binding everything up. I looked it over closely, and when it appeared undamaged, added a little more axle grease and reassembled it properly. It never failed while I had the car.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 11:22 PM   #3
Chuck41

There are a few ways the cross can be oriented in relation to the castings. When I did mine, there was one way (at least) where I got tightness like you describe. Also it seemed like some bushings fit better in some places than others. I just fiddled with it every which way until I found the smoothest arrangement.
Chuck41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 11:27 PM   #4
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
1928-48 Ford Universal Joint.
I installed the center cross piece with 2 bearings opposite each other on one half of the U-Joint . That half of the U-Joint yoke swivels and slides in and out nicely as it should with no play.

When I installed the bearings in the other half of the U-joint, that yoke became very tight and would not swivel or slide like the other half does. It feels like the bearing is being crushed to tight. Each bearing fits fine on the center cross piece when the bearing is not pressed into the yoke. But, when the bearing is inserted in the yoke, it's too tight.

Summary; In the first photo the yoke on the bottom works fine. But, when the other yoke in the bottom of the first photo is assembled to the other two bearings the fit becomes very tight. That yoke is very hard to swivel or slide as it should. Seems to be binding. Takes a lot force effort to make it swivel and slide.

The U-Joint repair kit was expensive so I don't want to damage it.
What am I doing wrong?
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, JIM

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 11:33 PM   #5
19Fordy

There are no needle bearings in this Universal Joint. Kit comes with 4 cross center swivel and 4 bushings that are press in - 1 in each side of the yoke.
Old 02-15-2024, 09:53 AM   #6
pistonbroke

Your trunnion or cross as you call it may be slightly imperfect as in not square. If the bearings slide on the trunnion ok and slide into the yoke by them selves ok then either your yoke is bent or the trunnion is out of true. Was the joint badly worn (sloppy) when you took it apart. If so it may have been abused and deformed slightly. My two cents, Tim
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 10:05 AM   #7
rich b

Maybe assemble the joint and while holding in your hand smack the tight yoke with a hammer just below the trunnion on each side and see if that helps.

Probably have to wrap tape around it to keep it together since I don't think you want to put the locks in until the binding is gone.
rich b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 02:15 PM   #8
Ggmac

Iwas going to suggest the hammer wack ( thats what I was instructed to do ) and it usually worked . Even works on std driveshaft ujoints when one is stiff . Just make sure you’re holding it in your hand . I don’t know why that matters but it seems to .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 02:21 PM   #9
Tim Ayers

Jim:

Let us know what you find out once you getting sorted. I have one I need to so as well.

Tim
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 03:40 PM   #10
19Fordy

Tim, I just posted a follow up report 2/15/24.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335806