Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2017, 10:06 PM   #1
Mad Mac

Default Alemite gun

I think I recall someone on this forum recommending using an Alemite grease gun for filling Model A steering boxes and diffs with that heavy oil which doesn't pour easily. Today I tried using an Alemite gun (see pic) to fill my steering box but without success. Even when I dismantled the nozzle and removed the ball-bearing and spring (why are they there?) I still had no luck. No matter how hard I push on the handle nothing comes out and pushing the spring-loaded stalk/nozzle in and out still doesn't work. What am I doing wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alemite gun (r).jpg (22.2 KB, 47 views)
Mad Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:48 PM   #2
stewwolfe

Default Re: Alemite gun

The steering box should be filled with 600 weight oil, not grease. Just remove the plug and pour it in. For the rear end and transmission, I take an ear syringe and use that to put the oil in.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:40 PM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

Most likely your grease gun is air locked. I sometimes have to loosen the end cap where the grease comes out, and wait for the spring to push the grease forward and out the loosened end.

If you don't have a spring loaded plunger, then tap the gun downward to force the grease forward, and pump the handle several times to get the grease flowing. Once flowing the outside air pressure should fill the void after each pump of the handle.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 11:56 PM   #4
Mad Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewwolfe View Post
The steering box should be filled with 600 weight oil, not grease. Just remove the plug and pour it in.
You didn't read my post - I am using oil not grease. The plug is far too small to pour oil into, especially as the correct oil is like thick syrup. Thats why I want to use the Alemite gun - to force the oil in.
Old 06-13-2017, 11:58 PM   #5
Mad Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
Most likely your grease gun is air locked. I sometimes have to loosen the end cap where the grease comes out, and wait for the spring to push the grease forward and out the loosened end.

If you don't have a spring loaded plunger, then tap the gun downward to force the grease forward, and pump the handle several times to get the grease flowing. Once flowing the outside air pressure should fill the void after each pump of the handle.
Thanks Tom, I will check that out. Why is there a ball bearing and spring in the nozzle - surely that will prevent it from working?
That's why I removed it.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:16 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

The ball bearing and spring is needed to have a one way valve to allow grease to pump out, but not suck air back in.
Could it be that they are installed backwards, forming a one way valve in the wrong direction?
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 05:57 AM   #7
RonC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
You didn't read my post - I am using oil not grease. The plug is far too small to pour oil into, especially as the correct oil is like thick syrup. Thats why I want to use the Alemite gun - to force the oil in.
I use a funnel. That grease gun is the best gun for greasing the A
RonC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 07:29 AM   #8
stewwolfe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac View Post
Actually I did read your post. I've had people call grease "oil" before, and made an assumption (knowing what that does to you and me) that you were calling grease "oil." I apologize for the assumption. I have had success with using a bulb syringe (you can buy them at a drug store). I cut a bit off the end of one and suck up the oil then stick it in the hole (steering box, transmission, rear end) and squeeze the oil out of it.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:47 PM   #9
SeaSlugs

i think i just used a funnel or probably cut the oil bottle nozzle just big enough to fit but not so bit it doesnt fit in the hole then squeezed it in... doesnt take alot. set the oil bottle in the sun for a few hours - be nice and runny.

rearend i had a funnel with a rubber tube into the filler hole. then same thing get oil hot via sun and pour it in...
Old 06-14-2017, 05:00 PM   #10
Mad Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewwolfe View Post
I have had success with using a bulb syringe (you can buy them at a drug store). I cut a bit off the end of one and suck up the oil then stick it in the hole (steering box, transmission, rear end) and squeeze the oil out of it.
Thanks, but I think the oil I am using (see pic) is too viscous (its like molasses) to pour through such a small hole. In any case my main concern is not the best type of oil to use, but why doesn't my Alemite gun work? No matter how hard I squeeze and push, nothing comes out, even after I remove the ball bearing. The spring-loaded nozzle telescopes back and forth as its meant to do, but nothing comes out. I have not yet had time to check for an air lock as suggested by Tom, but will do so shortly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Penrite steering box lube (R2).jpg (33.9 KB, 56 views)
Old 06-16-2017, 12:29 PM   #11
Bruce_MO

The container of Penrite Steering box lube that I get comes with a built-in spout. It is indeed a bit too large for the hole in the top of the box, but I simply hold it down pretty tight on the top of the box and squeeze it in, and then wipe off the small amount of leakage I get. It usually takes a couple squeezes to get some in with minimal leakage. It's a great product
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #12
Joop

I am sorry but can't answer your Alemite-gun question

But his is what I use and as listed above it has a pullout spout

"A self leveling high viscosity lubricant containing non-corrosive extreme pressure additives. Ideal for veteran and vintage steering boxes".

Attached Images
File Type: jpg x520b.jpg (267.8 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by Joop; 06-16-2017 at 01:04 PM.
Joop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:58 PM   #13
Sparky

I bought some Penrite last year and the bottle did not have the pour spout; it was a standard oil bottle. Fortunately I had a lube pump that had the correct threads.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:16 PM   #14
Tom Endy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
I bought some Penrite last year and the bottle did not have the pour spout; it was a standard oil bottle. Fortunately I had a lube pump that had the correct threads.
I had the same experience. What are these people thinking? Fortunately I still had the old bottle with the appropriate spout that is transferable.

if you put a small funnel in the opening and pour in whatever, 600W or Penrite it will eventually settle into the box, unless the owner before you pumped it full of grease.

Tom Endy
Tom Endy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:10 PM   #15
Jeff/Illinois

I gave up fighting the 600W leaking out all over and went to JD CornHead grease. Works good for me car even steers better. About 4 bucks at your local John Deere dealership. Part # AN102562

http://www.greenpartstore.com/assets..._thumbnail.jpg
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:25 AM   #16
Chris H

It sounds like your nozzle might be clogged with hardened grease. See if you can't poke a piece of stiff wire thru the nozzle and tube, after removing the check ball and spring. When reassembling the ball should be closest to the plunger side of the grease gun head, with the spring closest to the nozzle. Also make sure the spring is clean and not clogged with hardened grease.
The gun should dispense oil much easier than grease, even the thick oil is easier to move than a grease will be.

1930 Tudor
1964 MGB
1979 MGB

Ham call: N9WHH
Chris H is offline   Reply With Quote