Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-11-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
indyhac

Default Clutch release lever/ Fulcrum

I can't get my clutch to disengage properly. I've installed my rebuilt engine. When I removed the transmission, then the engine, I found this small piece of metal on the floor under the car. It is about 1/8" thick, 1" wide, and about 1 & 3/8" tall. It has rounded ears on the top and bottom and tabs front and back at the 1" wide part. This piece is not shown in the shop manual but I have a chassis parts catalog that shows it in the clutch section. It is listed there as #7547-A, Fulcrum (clutch release lever) - star shaped. ( It is not star shaped, unless you consider the two rounded ears and the two square shaped tabs as a 4-cornered star!) This fulcrum is shown in the chassis parts catalog as being between the Lever assy (clutch release) and the release lever bracket (shown in the parts catalog but not listed/ shown and listed in the shop manual #7522. The release lever bracket is rivited to the bellhousing, inside, rear, driver's side. I am trying to figure out if I've installed this fulcrum where it belongs. It seems to fit into two notches in the release lever bracket but the only way that I can see to keep it from falling out is that one of the square shaped tabs will fit through a hole in the clutch release lever and has a hole through it that will accept a cotter pin. That is the way I have installed the fulcrum. If anyone knows whether or not this is correct, please let me know. My problem now is that I can't get the clutch to release enough from the flywheel to get the transmission into gear; it just grinds the gear teeth as though the clutch has not been depressed. I had someone depress the pedal and observed that the pressure plate fingers are being depressed but evidently not enough even if I take all of the free travel out of the adjustment rod. So, does anyone have any ideas for me to try? I should mention that the vehicle is a '54 Mercury. I think a Ford should be the same. Thanks, Scott
indyhac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Ole Don

Default Re: Clutch release lever/ Fulcrum

Without the throw out bearing in place, the release lever is free to flop around. Never start and engine without the lever being held back with a big spring, or haveing the trans and throw out installed. For a first time adjustment, have someone hold the clutch pedal all the way down. With the bottom cover off, adjust the legnth of the rod so you can slip a .060 feeler gauge between the disc and the flywheel. Tighten the lock nut. You should now have about 3/4 inch free play at the pedal before there is any resistance. After many years hard use, you may need to weld up and re-drill some holes to remove extra play.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
Hoosier Hurricane

You may have the clutch disc installed backwards. Don't ask me how I know.

John
Hoosier Hurricane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
jan bogert

was the motor and trans. mated befor? or r u putting something together, like a 5 speed on a flathead.
jan bogert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
indyhac

Thanks for your help. Finally got the clutch to work by putting more free travel in it.
indyhac is offline   Reply With Quote