Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-07-2022, 06:26 PM   #1
mcgarrett

Default Marvel is my favorite carburetor!

I recently bought a '30 Roadster that came with a Tillotson carb. I was pleased with its quick starting, throttle response, smoothness, and overall performance at all speed ranges. Just for grins I installed a good running Zenith I had been using on another Model A to see if there was any appreciable difference in performance between them. The Zenith just didn't have the quick throttle response equal to the Tillotson - it seemed like it had asthma. It ran OK, but just wasn't quite as crisp as the Tillotson. Then, a friend gave me a Marvel Schebler. It was in very nice shape and since I had never run one before, I was anxious to check it out. I couldn't believe the enormous difference in throttle response and smoothness. It was like night & day from the Zenith and the Tillotson. The results are in and the Marvel wins hands down! Anyone else had a similar experience?
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:50 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Marvel is my favorite carburetor!

Does the MS carburettor give as good fuel economy as the others I wonder?
Old 11-07-2022, 07:27 PM   #3
Ordsgt

I have Run professionally rebuilt zenith and nothing is as good as my Marvel. When I would go to car shows people were in awe as to how smooth it idled. Whether at idle at speed or accelerating the Marvel is my favorite.
Ordsgt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:30 PM   #4
Ken B

What model of the Marvel carburetor is for a Model A Ford? Where are they sold?
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:30 PM   #5
mcgarrett

I haven't done any mileage checks on the Marvel yet. However, I'm very impressed with its performance. I'll be watching to see how it does in the mileage department after racking up a few miles. I've seen them at swap meets, but here is a link to one for sale...
https://www.2040-parts.com/-marvel-s...a-ford-i29841/
Old 11-07-2022, 09:32 PM   #6
01A

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
My 29 Tudor came with a Tillotson carb, ran well. I swapped it out for a Marvel carb and have improved performance as others have reported in this and other threads. To answer Synchro909's question on fuel economy I believe the Tillotson was more fuel efficient.
The car performs better with the Marvel.
01A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:36 PM   #7
Ordsgt

MARVEL SCHEBLER / ALLSTATE 2405 / JOHNSON JFA. I guess they all were sold under those names. Parts and rebuild kits are sold by Renners Corner. Ive mostly seen the marvel carbs on early tractors but these were made for model As. I do not know when they were last produced but are seen for sale pretty regularly on E-Bay or at Model a Meets. I loaned a friend one to replace his filthy Zenith that we rebuilt , now I can't get him to return it. He keeps asking how much to buy it from me he likes it so much.
Old 11-07-2022, 09:41 PM   #8
mcgarrett

Smith & Jones Model A parts sells rebuilt Marvel Schebler carbs for Model A's on an exchange basis. Here's the link...

http://www.snjparts.com/Model-A-Carb...-9510-mrb.html
Old 11-08-2022, 01:25 AM   #9
jeepguy1948

$275 is a LOT if you have to provide a core.
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 01:33 AM   #10
jeepguy1948

If Renner (a fantastic guy) has the parts I would rebuild one myself. Just have to find a usable core.....
jeepguy1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 01:47 AM   #11
TomInCologne

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarrett View Post
I haven't done any mileage checks on the Marvel yet. However, I'm very impressed with its performance. I'll be watching to see how it does in the mileage department after racking up a few miles. I've seen them at swap meets, but here is a link to one for sale...
https://www.2040-parts.com/-marvel-s...a-ford-i29841/

Of course, this was gone within minutes after you sent your post. I was too late, the carb is gone... :-(
TomInCologne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 08:13 AM   #12
1930artdeco

My experience-for what it is worth is this-My Marvel idles better and runs better than my Zenith. The MPG for my Zenith was about 21 on one tour on the freeway and the Marvel gets 17-19ish. The Model B will give you more power-if you hog the intake out-but your MPG will suffer. To me the Marvel is the best of both the A and B worlds, I have never used a Tillitson so cannot speak about them.

Mike
Old 11-08-2022, 10:12 AM   #13
goodcar

Quote:
I recently bought a '30 Roadster that came with a Tillotson carb. I was pleased with its quick starting, throttle response, smoothness, and overall performance at all speed ranges. Just for grins I installed a good running Zenith I had been using on another Model A to see if there was any appreciable difference in performance between them. The Zenith just didn't have the quick throttle response equal to the Tillotson - it seemed like it had asthma. It ran OK, but just wasn't quite as crisp as the Tillotson. Then, a friend gave me a Marvel Schebler. It was in very nice shape and since I had never run one before, I was anxious to check it out. I couldn't believe the enormous difference in throttle response and smoothness. It was like night & day from the Zenith and the Tillotson. The results are in and the Marvel wins hands down! Anyone else had a similar experience?
I have a Marvel from the guy in Texas. Unfortunately, it leaks. Any ideas??
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 10:23 AM   #14
mcgarrett

Do you know where the leak is coming from? Could be leaking due to a warped bowl cover, worn threads at the fuel line inlet fittings, GAV adjustment sleeve threads, or others. These folks sell repair parts for Marvel carbs:

https://rennerscorner.com/index.html
Old 11-08-2022, 02:49 PM   #15
goodcar

Quote:
Do you know where the leak is coming from? Could be leaking due to a warped bowl cover, worn threads at the fuel line inlet fittings, GAV adjustment sleeve threads, or others. These folks sell repair parts for Marvel carbs:

https://rennerscorner.com/index.html
I will need to do more looking, haven't tried it since. This was rebuilt and sold by the Texas guy who was supposed to have a good reputation regarding his rebuilds. I think he may have passed away this past year or so. I'm not trashing him. This might be a simple fix. I didn't see anything obvious at the time, but maybe just needs the float adjusted.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 03:20 PM   #16
mcgarrett

goodcar,

Yep, might just be something easy.
Old 11-08-2022, 06:58 PM   #17
Herb Concord Ca

I've run a Marvel for years, on my Slant T/S the Marvel is the only carb that allows my A/C to run at idle without stalling the motor.
Herb Concord Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 08:42 PM   #18
mcgarrett

It's interesting to hear about Model A folks that have so many good things to say about the Marvel (me included). I'll admit I didn't know much about them until recently. I wonder what is different about them that make them run so much better than the Zenith or Tillotson?
Old 11-08-2022, 08:51 PM   #19
Ordsgt

I believe it is a simpler design. The old KISS principle. Just 2 jets a high speed and low speed.
Old 11-08-2022, 08:52 PM   #20
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
It's interesting to hear about Model A folks that have so many good things to say about the Marvel (me included). I'll admit I didn't know much about them until recently. I wonder what is different about them that make them run so much better than the Zenith or Tillotson?
IMO it is because it is a more 'modern' design, using an emulsion tube in place of the various jets used in a Zenith. Also the float swings from the side instead of the front to back as in a Zenith.

As a side tidbit, Burt Pierce, the founder of Marvel Carburetors, also invented Marvel Mystery Oil to keep 'his' carburetors clean.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 11-08-2022 at 09:06 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote