Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-17-2023, 07:53 AM   #1
Tim Ayers

Default Anyone know what happened to all the French military parts from the So Cal auction?

Anyone know what happened to all the French military parts from the So Cal auction? Going by the pictures from the auction house, there were crates of rods, timing gear sets, cranks. Not to mention the pallets of engines and blocks.

I know it was only a few weeks ago, but I'd thought these parts would be trickling out by now.

I'd like to get some rods and timing sets for spares.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 06-17-2023 at 08:05 AM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 03:24 PM   #2
Ronnieroadster

Default Re: Anyone know what happened to all the French military parts from the So Cal auctio

Tim I don't have an answer to your question. But I have some info about the French rods which you may already know. When it comes to French rods there's two lengths the standard Ford 7 inch length and a shorter rod the French used with the 4 inch stroke crankshaft when they used the Ford 3-3/4 stroke pistons.

The 7 inch French rods were sold out a couple years ago I wonder if the rods you see in the crates are the shorter version. The shorter rods are still usable with the Merc crankshaft just have to use the Ford stroke pistons.
Ronnieroadster
First ever gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to run 200 MPH at Bonneville Salt Flats setting the record August 7th 2021 at 205.744 MPH
Ronnieroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 03:27 PM   #3
38 coupe

Default Re: Anyone know what happened to all the French military parts from the So Cal auctio

At one time I was interested in using the shorter 6 7/8" french rods with a 4 1/4 stroke crankshaft and cast 4" stroke pistons to make a stump pulling stock looking engine. I never had the money to put the parts together before Scat stopped making the stock journal 4 1/4 cranks and the short rods became unavailable. I still think it would be fun to do, but don't expect to find the parts anymore.
38 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 06:01 PM   #4
Krylon32

Blocks and other parts are being offered on E-Bay.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 05:16 AM   #5
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
Blocks and other parts are being offered on E-Bay.
Thanks, Gary. I tried to search and didn't come up with anything. Any chance you can post a few links?
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 07:04 AM   #6
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieroadster View Post
Tim I don't have an answer to your question. But I have some info about the French rods which you may already know. When it comes to French rods there's two lengths the standard Ford 7 inch length and a shorter rod the French used with the 4 inch stroke crankshaft when they used the Ford 3-3/4 stroke pistons.

The 7 inch French rods were sold out a couple years ago I wonder if the rods you see in the crates are the shorter version. The shorter rods are still usable with the Merc crankshaft just have to use the Ford stroke pistons.
Ronnieroadster
Just a minor addendum, while the french pistons are common between 3-3/4 and 4" cranks, and the difference is in the rod, if you use "ford" pistons they will hit the crank. I showed the clearancing of a "ford" piston in one of my videos. I also clearanced a set of 3-5/16" pistons in the same way.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 05:30 PM   #7
my4dv8

My rough search on Ebay came up empty.
my4dv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 06:17 PM   #8
Krylon32

You guys are right. The blocks were on e-bay a couple weeks ago with a $5000 buy it now price.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 03:31 AM   #9
Mart

Don't treat them like some "holy grail" item. I have 3. they are still subject to cracking and two of mine have some core shift.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote