Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-03-2023, 04:27 PM   #1
Ramblin Reck

Default '39 Ford Deluxe Hood does not close completely

Here is the problem with my hood not closing properly. I believe that one of the problems causing this is the bracket on the passenger side spring bracket that connects the hood to the bracket is "Homemade". I have the Chinese equivalent of the replacement part but need help in understanding how to replace it. Also the bracket on the passenger side that attaches to the cowl looks different than the one on the drivers side. Hopefully someone out there has experience dealing with these brackets. The springs are ok except they need extra support in the front to hold the hood up. Thanks in Advance!
Old 06-03-2023, 06:09 PM   #2
Karl Wescott

Default Re: '39 Ford Deluxe Hood does not close completely

A lot (wrong) going on here.

First impressions, the hinges are held together with bolts, originals were riveted. The way they are bolted its likely there is quite a bit of "slop" which will create all kinds of mischief.

The bolt holding the prop arm appears to be at an angle, something is bent.

First step, take the time to search the forum and find Kube's excellent dissertation on how to align 1940 (and 1939 Deluxe) front sheetmetal, and the comments and additions by others.

Second remove the hood hinges and props and tune the hinges with proper bearings. Rivets were original, but a double nut with washers on either side could work. Set the props aside for now... they are the last to go on AFTER the hood fits the cowl and grille (use a broomstick for now).

Third, go back and re-read Kube's dissertation... Its that important and you should have a better understanding after the second or third time you have put things together using it.

Fourth, repair or replace the props.

Fifth... It should be empty by now, you needed it!
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 06:52 PM   #3
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin Reck View Post
Here is the problem with my hood not closing properly. I believe that one of the problems causing this is the bracket on the passenger side spring bracket that connects the hood to the bracket is "Homemade". I have the Chinese equivalent of the replacement part but need help in understanding how to replace it. Also the bracket on the passenger side that attaches to the cowl looks different than the one on the drivers side. Hopefully someone out there has experience dealing with these brackets. The springs are ok except they need extra support in the front to hold the hood up. Thanks in Advance!

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 07:21 PM   #4
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Wescott View Post
A lot (wrong) going on here.

First step, take the time to search the forum and find Kube's excellent dissertation on how to align 1940 (and 1939 Deluxe) front sheetmetal, and the comments and additions by others.

Third, go back and re-read Kube's dissertation... Its that important and you should have a better understanding after the second or third time you have put things together using it.

Click the link BELOW for KUBE's famous '40 Ford hood dissertation.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showp...67&postcount=3

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 10:01 PM   #5
19Fordy

Is this what you need?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/27109912774...Bk9SR9q0xcWQYg
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 10:11 PM   #6
deuce_roadster

Since 40 deluxe hood hinges have 91A part numbers, look for a good set of original 39 deluxe or 40s to repair and replace the mish-mash you have now. Same for the props.
And of course, read and re-read Mike Kubarth's instructions. I have used them 3 times.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 10:25 PM   #7
petehoovie

[QUOTE=19Fordy;2230814]Is this what you need?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/27109912774...Bk9SR9q0xcWQYg

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0

Last edited by petehoovie; 06-03-2023 at 10:34 PM.
petehoovie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 11:16 PM   #8
19Fordy

THANKS Pete.
Old 06-04-2023, 08:30 AM   #9
Ramblin Reck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post

19Fordy
Yes! Bought them from Joe's Antique awhile back. Just have not installed them yet. Don't feel confident that I can reach the hidden bolt head on the hood where it is attached to the hood and also the bolt head on the inside of the cowl. Maybe I don't need to reach them for tightening as they are going to act as rivets and secured by double nutting them. Any advice on removing the four old brackets and installing the new, will be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-04-2023, 08:45 AM   #10
deuce_roadster

You can reach everywhere you need to to install the parts correctly. You can't really see it but where things pivot, are shoulder bolts or rivits. Do it right and you won't need any double nutted bolts and it will be your best chance to adjust things properly. I have done all these steps by myself, and I am 73 years old.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 09:10 AM   #11
Ramblin Reck

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce_roadster View Post
You can reach everywhere you need to to install the parts correctly. You can't really see it but where things pivot, are shoulder bolts or rivits. Do it right and you won't need any double nutted bolts and it will be your best chance to adjust things properly. I have done all these steps by myself, and I am 73 years old.

deuce_roadster
Thank you. You have shed light where it needed to be shed! Knowing what is behind there and knowing I will not have to put a wrench on it builds my confidence level up to a point where I now think I will give it a shot. I will get an assistant to help as I am only 18 years old locked inside an 83 year old body. Your experience is a Godsend. Thanks again Deuce!
Old 06-04-2023, 10:52 AM   #12
19Fordy

Ramblin: Do a Google search titled: HOW TO INSTALL 1940 FORD HOOD HINGES". Lots of info appears. READ ALL OF IT. For instance. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...mounts.751179/

Also, read every thread here that has the word "hood" in it. Lots of good info.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/searc...rchid=32120269

Make very sure that the short bolts that thread through the little short arms at the rear of your hood on the inside of your hood are the correct length. Some hood hinge kits have bolts that are too long. If they are too long they will put a dimple in your hood.

You will have success. Be patient as it's a tedious process. Be sure and put a thick blanket between the rear edge of your hood and the cowl to protect the paint in case the hood "slips". Use tape also for paint protection.

Last edited by 19Fordy; 06-04-2023 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-04-2023, 03:27 PM   #13
Ramblin Reck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
Ramblin: Do a Google search titled: HOW TO INSTALL 1940 FORD HOOD HINGES". Lots of info appears. READ ALL OF IT. For instance. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...mounts.751179/

Also, read every thread here that has the word "hood" in it. Lots of good info.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/searc...rchid=32120269

Make very sure that the short bolts that thread through the little short arms at the rear of your hood on the inside of your hood are the correct length. Some hood hinge kits have bolts that are too long. If they are too long they will put a dimple in your hood.

You will have success. Be patient as it's a tedious process. Be sure and put a thick blanket between the rear edge of your hood and the cowl to protect the paint in case the hood "slips". Use tape also for paint protection.

19Fordy;
Thanks all good advice. Appreciate it very much.
Old 06-05-2023, 05:05 AM   #14
swoopNZ
MEMBER EMERITUS

Take your new parts along with the car to a competent body shop that does crash repairs.
30 minutes and they should have it done.
SwoopNZ.
swoopNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2023, 10:01 AM   #15
Ramblin Reck

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoopNZ View Post
Take your new parts along with the car to a competent body shop that does crash repairs.
30 minutes and they should have it done.
SwoopNZ.

swoopNZ
Excellent advice. Thanks