Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-22-2023, 06:33 PM   #1
Ramblin Reck

Default 1939 Convertible Top Issue: Need advice

The Top on my '39 Convertible is probably an aftermarket product as it is fairly good shape. The header bar is solid wood and will not go forward far enough to match up the indentation or groove in the bottom of the wood header with the raised ridge which it fits into on the windshield. It is missing by about 3/8 inch. In the picture with the bolt, one can see that I had to extend the hole out by about 3/8 inch for that bolt to be perpendicular. The bolt that holds it down in the center will not quite bring it down flush with the top of the windshield. No amount of pushing on the header will make that canvas stretch that last little bit.

I think I can live with that if I can at least bring the wood header down and in contact with the top of the windshield. Rubber insulation will also help. The wood header needs to twist or rotate down in front to make contact. To that end here is what I propose doing to get it to rotate down in front. Install an eye bolt screw in the wood header. Also drill a hole thru the center post of the windshield at an appropriate distance from the top of the windshield and install a eye bolt there. Next install a small turn buckle between the two eye bolts to draw the header down.

Henry wouldn't do this but I might, if I can't solicit a better idea.

My question is" Is the center post solid or hollow and can I drill a 1/4 inch hole all the way thru without shattering the glass to install the lower eye bolt. It looks like the glass just lays in the windshield with only sealant, the molding and glue holding it in place. The upper eye bolt into the header should pose no problem as it will be screwed into the wood.

This turnbuckle will only be used when it rains. The top will be down the majority of the time and should not be too obtrusive looking even when it is up and the turnbuckle is installed. If I buy a stainless steel turnbuckle, it will just be another piece of chrome on her. It will also give an extra measure of safety to keep the top in place at 55 MPH!

Will appreciate your comments or suggestions. Thanks
Old 04-22-2023, 07:02 PM   #2
TJ

Default Re: 1939 Convertible Top Issue: Need advice

From my point of view I think your idea will cause other problems and perhaps damage to the header panel.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 10:29 AM   #3
Ramblin Reck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ View Post
From my point of view I think your idea will cause other problems and perhaps damage to the header panel.
TJ
Thanks. My 39 Ford is used for driving fun only and not for entering in vintage auto shows for trophies etc. It is for the enjoyment of an 18 year old youth locked in a 83 year old body. It serves its purpose on cloudless days. However I do not want to get the interior damaged by rain water and the top is now is about as useless as teets on a boar.

I respect your opinion but would really like some alternative ideas from you and others, to attach the top header to the windshield so as to provide safety and protection from the elements. If the wind blows the top back while driving, I will be cracked in the head by a log that probably weighs 15lbs! My goal is to prevent that from happening. Thanks again for reading and commenting. I appreciate it.
Old 04-23-2023, 10:39 AM   #4
oldbugger

Could your problem be from leaving the top down for extended periods of time? I know from my experience that if you put it out in the sun for a half day with the top up but not latched, it will relax some, maybe enough to get it to latch.
oldbugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 10:43 AM   #5
tom1948

I agree with TJ, if you stretch it in one direction, it will give in another. Most likely at the rear tack strip. Also, it looks like your header panel might be warped, I have never dealt with that issue, so that's not something I'm qualified to address. good luck
tom1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 11:16 AM   #6
Krylon32

While mine is not a 39 I have dealt with a similar problem on a few of my deuce roadsters. I take the top off the car and lay it upside down on a blanket for an extended time and it seems to shrink? I have tried 2 different methods. Water and sun. Sun seems to work the best and is surely less messy. It's usually not very much but is frustrating. MY top material is the good Mercedes black.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 11:44 AM   #7
Ramblin Reck

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbugger View Post
Could your problem be from leaving the top down for extended periods of time? I know from my experience that if you put it out in the sun for a half day with the top up but not latched, it will relax some, maybe enough to get it to latch.

Hey you oldbugger
Thanks! Sounds like a plausible idea. I will give it a shot! I have owned for two years and it has never been up for at least that long. Who drives a convertible when ya gotta put the top up, especially in the Sunny South? The top is made out of material that I would call Duck Canvas. Thanks again for a great idea that I never thought about! You folks on this forum are the greatest.
Old 04-23-2023, 11:50 AM   #8
Ramblin Reck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
While mine is not a 39 I have dealt with a similar problem on a few of my deuce roadsters. I take the top off the car and lay it upside down on a blanket for an extended time and it seems to shrink? I have tried 2 different methods. Water and sun. Sun seems to work the best and is surely less messy. It's usually not very much but is frustrating. MY top material is the good Mercedes black.
Krylon32
Thanks for the confirmation of the sun working on the top to get it stretched a bit. Gonna try that for sure.
Old 04-23-2023, 11:54 AM   #9
Ramblin Reck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom1948 View Post
I agree with TJ, if you stretch it in one direction, it will give in another. Most likely at the rear tack strip. Also, it looks like your header panel might be warped, I have never dealt with that issue, so that's not something I'm qualified to address. good luck
tom1948
OK Thanks for your thoughts. I will check the header for being warped.
Old 04-23-2023, 01:44 PM   #10
Karl Wescott

The header bow and top latches are not stock 1939, this could be part of the issues.

The side latches are 1940, the bracket on the windshield is "custom", the center bolt down is "custom". The original 1939 top iron corner bracket provided a socket for alignment to a windshield mounted dowel with a thumbscrew locking it down, and pivoted on the top irons just back of the header. The center had a socket on the header that also locked onto a windshield dowel with a thumbscrew.

Photos are attached of our reproduction hardware and a photo of a 1937-38 rumble cabriolet corner bracket from the Ford Hardware and Trim book (which I think was carried to 1939).

Note to all, I am looking for an original 1937-38 (39) corner bracket as an example to reproduce, or both if the 1937-38 is different from 1939. Also the rest of the top irons.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39TopHardware.jpg (35.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 37TopCorner.jpg (39.0 KB, 13 views)
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote