Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-14-2019, 07:22 AM   #1
50droptop

Default 1936 hood alignment

To bring everyone up to speed, I started a ‘resurrection’ on a 36 coupe about 3 years ago. I use that term since I wasn’t planning a full restoration; the body had lots of original paint (and character) that I wanted to preserve. So I’ve been on the road for a couple of weeks now and have been running ‘sans hood’. Decided to polish and install the hood yesterday and the fit is just off a bit. Looking for advice from ones that have been here before on where to go to make those final adjustments.

Starting from the rear:

Passenger side: Hood is closer to cowl than drivers side. What adjustment affects this, the radiator stay rods?

Passenger side panel to grill. Looks pretty good at the top but a gap at the bottom? Assuming grill to radiator tab adjustment needed here?

Passenger side hood front edge at grill. Large gap where it meets the hood ornament.

Drivers side: Hood has more gap at cowl than passenger side

Driver side panel is slightly overlapping grill at top.

Now, it’s clear I’m using and aftermarket bullnose and I replaced the original radiator with a Brassworks reproduction.

Any advice and tips you folks can provide would be appreciated.

Also, you can find my build thread here on the HAMB.
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...rd-5w.1088366/
50droptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:17 AM   #2
TagMan

Default Re: 1936 hood alignment

As far as the 'vertical' misalignments, I would loosen all of any bolts holding front fenders & running boards and shift fenders until you get the, as close as possible and then slowly tighten them up methodicaly, checking them as you go. The non-Ford radiator may have to be shimmed, also.

Hood to fender alignment, I've found on mine, can be controlled very effectivly by shortening or lengthening the radiator support rods, which is done by using the support rod hex nuts as an adustment. They will move things fairly fast and I would make a small adjustment (maybe one - two turns) and then check to see how much difference it made - slow, but sure, will win the race. You might want to measure eare support rod and keep a chart of how long or short you made the rods and what the effect of the adjustment was. Always nice to have a path back home, so to speak.

Actually, sitting and looking at the problem and rolling different fixes around in your mind, stepping away and sleeping on it for a while, has helped me solve a lot of problems, too.

Just my 2¢, but I wish you well.
TagMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 05:01 PM   #3
50droptop

Default Re: 1936 hood alignment

Thanks Tagman....it didn’t even dawn on me to loosen the fenders for a better fit.
50droptop is offline   Reply With Quote