Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-07-2022, 12:54 AM   #1
SoCalCoupe

Default Really torn on T5 transmission conversion…

Bought my 41 Business Coupe a year ago because it had a flathead and was in great condition. Had a lot of modernizations planned (but keeping the flathead) before I even bought it.

When I got it home, I found it surprisingly original and also very rare (rare doesn’t mean valuable) but also a very low value car because, well, ‘41s just aren’t that popular. It’s not a Dearborn contender though; a repaint and too many restorations to reverse.

It was nearly undrivable when I bought it because of electrical and fuel issues. Fixed those and now runs great and is nearly original with 3 on the tree and 6v electrical. Been taking things real slow because there are fewer and fewer original cars and they have their own appeal.

It’s kind of fun to keep things original but it’s also fun to make an 80 year old car better.

3 on the tree is fun for the first couple of miles but a T5 is fun all the time.
Bought a lot of Hot Rod magazine reprints and Rod and Custom originals. Back in the day, modernizing your ride meant converting that old floor shifter to a nifty 3 on the tree. Like I said, it’s fun for a while but I’m kind of done with it. Some people say a '41 transmission is synchonized. Mine isn't. Maybe it's not a '41 or maybe something else, but to avoid crashing gears I always double clutch; a PITA.

Thoughts on converting my mostly original ’41 Special Business Coupe to a T5 transmission?
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 01:06 AM   #2
Tinker

Default Re: Really torn on T5 transmission conversion…

Do what you like. I'm guessing you understand there are frame mods.

V8Coop is the guy for this. I feel strange calling him coop as Coop is a hotrod punkrock artist of the same name

Last edited by Tinker; 09-07-2022 at 01:30 AM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 01:11 AM   #3
deuce lover

1st gear is not synchronized.Not even in the early 50's. Only 2nd and 3rd. Ton's of different T5 out there so do research on the gearing.Then you need to convert to open drive-another challenge.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 01:14 AM   #4
tubman

If you have to "double-clutch" all the time as you are saying, there is somethin wrong with your transmission. A rebuild sounds in order so you can fully evaluate it's actual functionality.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 01:28 AM   #5
Tinker

I've had those moments were I would like a modernish transmission in flathead. Maybe my 36 as it's a bit rough of a car. But with a olds engine. Mitchel in my 38.

Flathead yes. Do what you like. It won't be what is was, but whatever.

Last edited by Tinker; 09-07-2022 at 02:48 AM.
Old 09-07-2022, 02:47 AM   #6
Dodge

Bill Pugh at Vintage Precision is working on a conversion of the tail housing of the T5
transmission to use it with the enclosed driveline.
Its being prototyped now and should be a game changer.
These cars really like an overdrive gear to make them more of a pleasure to keep up
with modern traffic.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:03 AM   #7
alchemy

If you want a T5 with the open driveshaft you will need to rework the rear suspension and some of the X. If you want a T5 with the torquetube coupler, you will need to drastically hog the center from the X member and shorten the torquetube. Neither are easy conversions.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 07:28 AM   #8
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
Bill Pugh at Vintage Precision is working on a conversion of the tail housing of the T5
transmission to use it with the enclosed driveline.
Its being prototyped now and should be a game changer.
These cars really like an overdrive gear to make them more of a pleasure to keep up
with modern traffic.
This is great news. Those Jeep closed drive tails are getting very hard to find.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 11:56 AM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
This is great news. Those Jeep closed drive tails are getting very hard to find.

Here's our T5 with Jeep TAIL.

TEASER shot ....Heard's '35 Pick-up with T5/Torque Tube

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 02:06 PM   #10
Tim Ayers

Next build is definitely going to get a T-5 with a Jeep tail. It seems like the bee's knees.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 02:36 PM   #11
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
If you have to "double-clutch" all the time as you are saying, there is somethin wrong with your transmission. A rebuild sounds in order so you can fully evaluate it's actual functionality.
Hmm... If 2nd and 3rd are supposed to be synchronized and they're not, rebuilding the 3-speed might be the best solution to making it more fun while still keeping it original.
Old 09-07-2022, 07:19 PM   #12
Bored&Stroked

I'm torn on this very subject all the time . . . but I'm also torn with the thought of hacking up original frames. Just no real great answers if you want a lot tougher transmission and you want an overdrive in it. I won't do it on my 32 Cab (due to originality), but I am doing it on a very high-horsepower 34 Project (blown Hemi).
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 08:28 PM   #13
cadillac512

I drive the '41 Mercury a LOT. I replaced synchro rings and some damaged gears when I bought the car three years ago, and the transmission has worked very nicely since. No grinds on shifts at all, and nice and quiet. 3.54 rear gears and 29" tires make for a good cruise speed of 55-65 mph where the 260" 8CM is happy. Faster if I want, but 55-60 is so sweet. An OD would be ok too, and this engine would pull it...but the car handles like a '41 in good shape and I'd rather enjoy it as-is.
Terry

'41 Merc Town Sedan / 260" 8CM engine
'66 Fairlane four door / "warmed up" 302
cadillac512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2022, 09:09 PM   #14
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
I'm torn on this very subject all the time . . . but I'm also torn with the thought of hacking up original frames. Just no real great answers if you want a lot tougher transmission and you want an overdrive in it. I won't do it on my 32 Cab (due to originality), but I am doing it on a very high-horsepower 34 Project (blown Hemi).

Hey Dale.....You well-know that as much time as I spend on here shooting my mouth off about the T5, that I'm sort of an advocate for those transmissions. But I'm only an advocate for it's use behind an average 125-150 horsepower flathead (I'm being generous here), because these street flattys aren't going to break a T5, shifted sanely. Another big plus for the T5 is it's basic design philosophy allowing for the swapping/mix 'n match of factory Borg-Warner parts to come-up with different configurations, as well as a widely-diverse selection of gear ratios, especially with gears 1st through 4th, which is where most guys spend MOST of their time anyway, with the resultant bang for the buck to be realized with FOUR, close ratio gears to row through.

With all of that being said, an engine like what you are likely building for your '34 is probably going to be capable of doing some righteous damage to a T5 being shifted to it's fullest. My suggestion (for what that might be worth) would be to get yourself one of these new Tremec TKX transmissions, which I believe is merely a clean-up of the TKO case, plus some much-needed synchro upgrades. Several versions are available, gear ratio-wise, but my favorite (I've had the same in a "TKO") is: Gear Ratios: 1st 2.87, 2nd 1.89, 3rd 1.28, 4th 1.00, 5th .81. This gear set is split so well that going through the gears is gonna be a blast, and the resultant .81 5th gear amounts to a real 5th gear feel when considering actual RPM drop. As a side note, I BELIEVE that I have figured a way to build a Camaro-type close ratio T5 with an .80 5th gear by swapping-in a Ford main shaft, and a couple of other Ford pieces in the Chevy mix. Is this '34 of yours anywhere near being drivable? What are you doing for rear end?

Coop

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 09-08-2022, 07:48 PM   #15
Bored&Stroked

Hey Coop: I hear you on the Hemi . . . it doesn't have a T5, it is setup for a TKO 5 speed with a .82 overdrive. Truth be told, that is probably not strong enough - depending on how I drive it. Also the T56 Magnum and the TKX are vastly improved in my mind from the older TKO platform - synchros, shifting, etc.. I'll probably start with the TKO (as it is new) and then head toward the TKX at some point.
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 11:28 PM   #16
SoCalCoupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillac512 View Post
I drive the '41 Mercury a LOT. I replaced synchro rings and some damaged gears when I bought the car three years ago, and the transmission has worked very nicely since. No grinds on shifts at all, and nice and quiet. 3.54 rear gears and 29" tires make for a good cruise speed of 55-65 mph where the 260" 8CM is happy. Faster if I want, but 55-60 is so sweet. An OD would be ok too, and this engine would pull it...but the car handles like a '41 in good shape and I'd rather enjoy it as-is.
Terry
Terry, Is that the 41 Merc your avatar? Sounds like you've found the sweet spot for enjoying an 80 year old car in the modern world. You make a great case for a rebuilt 3-speed.

Agree, an OD would be nice on the I-5 but the rest of the 80 year old suspension might not be so great above 65 mph. Sounds like you might be of the same mind. Brad

Last edited by SoCalCoupe; 09-09-2022 at 09:58 AM.
Old 09-09-2022, 12:11 AM   #17
Tinker

Think not every application needs a t5. But V8coop has you covered. Even if I find him a bit annoying sometimes. Sure its mutual. haha
Old 09-09-2022, 01:02 AM   #18
Tinker

A stock 3 speed maybe just right. Not conducive to a modern world. Would that like be cancel culture of the 3sp? hahaha just f'
Old 09-09-2022, 02:13 AM   #19
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Think not every application needs a t5. But V8coop has you covered. Even if I find him a bit annoying sometimes. Sure its mutual. haha

Is there anyone here that I actually ANNOY besides TINKER, our late-night '"Wizard of Wonder & Clarity of Message"?

Coop

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
Old 09-09-2022, 02:28 AM   #20
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Next build is definitely going to get a T-5 with a Jeep tail. It seems like the bee's knees.

Another T5 with Jeep TAIL and Ford torque tube hook-up - this one with the Ford-type main case.

Coop

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE