Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-08-2022, 08:29 PM   #1
HotRodHell

Default Tremec TKX in an A?

I've not been active here in quite sometime but looks like another A is in my future.
Has anyone put a newer Tremec TKX in their A? I have one available to me and seems like it'd be even better than a T5.
What would it take to install it?
Thanks,
D. Hellstrom
HotRodHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:09 PM   #2
Pete

Default Re: Tremec TKX in an A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodHell View Post
I've not been active here in quite sometime but looks like another A is in my future.
Has anyone put a newer Tremec TKX in their A? I have one available to me and seems like it'd be even better than a T5.
What would it take to install it?
Thanks,
D. Hellstrom
Some fabrication tools and ingenunity.
It has been done but I didn't know the guy that did it.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:22 PM   #3
GeneBob

Check the overdrive ratio. The Model A will not do well with too much overdrive ratio.
GeneBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:51 PM   #4
Pete

Here are the available ratios. Something for everyone.

Part
Number
Style
Torque
Rating
Input
Spline
Gear Ratios
1st
2nd
3rd
4th
5th
R
TCET18086
Ford
600 lb-ft
TCET18084
Ford
600 lb-ft
TCET17765
Ford
600 lb-ft
TCET18085
Ford
600 lb-ft
TCET18083
GM
600 lb-ft
TCET17722
GM
600 lb-ft
TCET17805
GM
600 lb-ft
Old 08-09-2022, 09:16 AM   #5
HotRodHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneBob View Post
Check the overdrive ratio. The Model A will not do well with too much overdrive ratio.
Which overdrive ratio do you feel is appropriate for a model a? A warmed over Touring engine?
Old 08-09-2022, 10:16 AM   #6
MrBruce

HotRodHell

I worked for Tremec for eight years and sold all the units we made, T56, T45, T5, and TKO units. The T5 is a better unit for the Model A (had one in my 30 Pickup) and it was nice, but sold the pickup and bought an original 31 Pickup and back to the stock 3 speed. The unit had an open driveshaft and required cutting a good size portion of the main cross member which I would never do. The TKO is made for some heavy HP far greater than the T5 and is a larger tranny as far as length, and I don't recall seeing any body making a kit for the Model A using a TKO (doesn't mean someone hasn't put one in) but is much more costly than a T5 unit. Just my thoughts
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:28 AM   #7
HotRodHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBruce View Post
HotRodHell

I worked for Tremec for eight years and sold all the units we made, T56, T45, T5, and TKO units. The T5 is a better unit for the Model A (had one in my 30 Pickup) and it was nice, but sold the pickup and bought an original 31 Pickup and back to the stock 3 speed. The unit had an open driveshaft and required cutting a good size portion of the main cross member which I would never do. The TKO is made for some heavy HP far greater than the T5 and is a larger tranny as far as length, and I don't recall seeing any body making a kit for the Model A using a TKO (doesn't mean someone hasn't put one in) but is much more costly than a T5 unit. Just my thoughts
The TKO is not the trans I’m inquiring about. The TKX is a relatively new trans from Tremec and dimensionally very similar to a T5. I like the gear ratios that are available and if I ever had the itch to put my power in the car it’s already setup.
Old 08-09-2022, 11:37 AM   #8
MrBruce

The TKX is rated at 600 ft lbs I think which is far more than the little 4 banger needs and T5's are a dime a dozen and cheaper? Just my opinion
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 01:10 PM   #9
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
The TKX is rated at 600 ft lbs I think which is far more than the little 4 banger needs and T5's are a dime a dozen and cheaper? Just my opinion
I've gotta agree with MrBruce. The T5s will handle the torque of the Model 'A' all day long. In fact, the T5 concept is so well designed that coming-up with different configurations using factory B-W parts is almost FUN.

For instance, we came-up with a shorty version of a V8 Camaro T5 (because that gear set has the 'close-ratio' 2.95 1st gear package), that we wanted to adapt to a Ford torque tube in a '35 Ford. Click on the link BELOW for the full thread on that project.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...T5+TORQUE+TUBE

The one thing that a TKO or a TKX offers (besides strength) over a T5 is the overall selection of gear ratios, including O/D ratios. I also BELIEVE that the shifter position available with a TKX will not be as far forward as can be achieved with an S-10 main shaft housing bolted-on to any T5 main case.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 02:38 PM   #10
GeneBob

Quote:
Which overdrive ratio do you feel is appropriate for a model a? A warmed over Touring engine?
I am not an expert by any means. If you have a 3.78 rear end (the most common) you probably want to stay in the .80 or higher overdrive. If you have a 4.11 rear, you can probably go with more overdrive, like .7 something.
Just a guesstimate. If you try for too much overdrive, you will not be able to use it.
Old 08-09-2022, 03:20 PM   #11
denis4x4

Quote:
HotRodHell

We made the reinforcement piece before cutting the crossmember. No issues in 15 years
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7FBD8844-053B-4C83-88CE-FA1DF4321B31.jpg (62.4 KB, 89 views)
Old 08-09-2022, 05:57 PM   #12
HotRodHell

Quote:
A T5 it is. It just makes more sense.
Old 08-09-2022, 08:15 PM   #13
Pete

Quote:
Now all you have to do is determine which of the many models you need.
Old 08-10-2022, 02:23 AM   #14
V8COOPMAN

Quote:

Great choice, but what "Pete" says above in post #13 is very true. I'd be happy to run through options, and what to look out for, and what type of gear ratios to consider. If you choose the first T5 that happens to come along, you may just hate it. Do your homework!

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:04 AM   #15
jack backer
BANNED

Why is it acceptable to discuss putting a late model transmission from a modern in a model A.. but the engine from the same car is taboo?

My opinion is the stock spur gear transmission makes it a model A..master the skill to operate it correctly. There is no gain speed shifting unless you are racing.

I run an A trans with a Mitchell od behind a modified flathead A engine btw..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 94950009-EA53-40C4-AC15-A8DE31656AC4.jpg (51.8 KB, 32 views)
jack backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 07:50 PM   #16
HotRodHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
Great choice, but what "Pete" says above in post #13 is very true. I'd be happy to run through options, and what to look out for, and what type of gear ratios to consider. If you choose the first T5 that happens to come along, you may just hate it. Do your homework!

Coop

Thanks! I'll consult with you when the time comes. I'm on the hunt right now for a good A or a Model B if I'm lucky. I'm reasonably sure I want a 2.95 1st gear.
Old 08-10-2022, 07:55 PM   #17
HotRodHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack backer View Post
Why is it acceptable to discuss putting a late model transmission from a modern in a model A.. but the engine from the same car is taboo?

My opinion is the stock spur gear transmission makes it a model A..master the skill to operate it correctly. There is no gain speed shifting unless you are racing.

I've had 3 As so far and have had the transmission experience. I'm reasonably sure I'm going to increase the Bangers power. I want to add the 5 speed and be done with it. The next one is going to see quite a bit of daily driving in season. If I'm lucky I'll end up with a Model B.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:19 PM   #18
HotRodHell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack backer View Post

I've had 3 As so far and have had the transmission experience. I'm reasonably sure I'm going to increase the Bangers power and I want to add the 5 speed and be done with it. The next one is going to see quite a bit of daily driving in season. If I'm lucky I'll end up with a Model B.
Old 08-11-2022, 02:21 AM   #19
Dodge

The TKX is the best one so far. It is stronger than a T5 and also has a smaller case.
They are about $2200 brand new. Lots of gear choices.
Vintage Precision has a bell housing that makes it so you don't have to cut the crossmember. They are also in the process of making a closed driveline adapter
to run the transmission with the stock torque tube.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 11:00 AM   #20
GeneBob

Quote:

I have not found that T5's are a dime a dozen. They seem to be disappearing, especially those with a good gear ratio combination. The same is true for the T170 for transmissions. I would like to see a modern option that is plentiful and relatively inexpensive.