Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-16-2022, 10:26 PM   #1
TMarsh

Default Adding coolant

I have a 30 standard coupe that I assembled from a basket case. I know every part and am proud of my accomplishment.
My question is, how often do you check the radiator coolant level?
My coupe runs very well and does not overheat or expel coolant. It is hard to see the coolant in the radiator when I do general service so I just put in a couple of cups maybe every month are two. It is a daily driver and I just want to keep everything up to speed. I know they reach their own level, but what is that?
TMarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 10:32 PM   #2
Chuck Sea/Tac

Default Re: Adding coolant

Mine likes just below the baffle. If I shake the car hard, I can just see a little sloshing over the baffle. One way to tell if you are using water, is fill it just over the baffle, then after a few days of driving, see how much it takes to bring it back to that same level. It doesn’t hurt to overfill, as it just spits the excess out the overflow.
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 10:53 PM   #3
Jim/GA

TMarsh-
Use a small wooden coffee stir stick as a dipstick to check the coolant level cold. Slip the stick into the radiator filler neck and go to the side of the baffle. Touch the bottom of the upper tank and pull it out. See where the coolant level is on the stick. I run 1/2 inch above the bottom of the tank when the engine is cold.

When the engine is hot, it should be right at the baffle, more or less. It is easier to see than when cold.

I seldom add coolant.
Jim/GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 09:45 AM   #4
Timberview

I am new to Model As and have spent the past two months getting the family’s running. With that being said, I did say that Snyder’s sells a sight gauge if you wanted to go that route. It doesn’t look difficult to install, and would be easy to return it back to stock, if needed.
Timberview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 04:50 PM   #5
1crosscut

Keep checking it often until you are comfortable with how the coolant level acts. Then check it as often you are comfortable with.

Technically to be absolutely sure you should check the coolant level and the oil level prior to each time you drive it.
Old 07-18-2022, 05:53 AM   #6
Dean Lemoine

TMarsh, I had the same concern you’re having. I made a “sight glass” about 2 years ago. Now I always know exactly where the level is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 73A35CFE-A70D-4F05-8805-5A6CB173BFC5.jpeg (48.7 KB, 38 views)
Dean Lemoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 06:51 AM   #7
ETAModel

Growing up on the farm, then later working with heavy earth moving equipment, you were taught to check the fluids every morning, Without fail. Cracking a block or damaging the motor was grounds for dismissal.

I've gotten lazy over the last 20 years, due to driving new vehicles. But with a car almost a century old, I think it would be wise to check daily.
Case in point: I had parked in the grass to wash my car. It stayed the night in the grass, and the next morning I was going to a friend's. I almost climbed in and took off, but decided to check it.
The packing in the water pump decided to fail, it took over a gallon to get to full. That was a wake up call for me. I'm back to checking fluids before every crank.
ETAModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 06:53 AM   #8
Big hammer

Thanks for reminding me to check the level, I haven’t added any coolant for over a year, might add about a cup! The level is at the top of the tubes seen with a bright flashlight looking between the over flow tube and the baffle!