Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-10-2023, 01:48 PM   #1
Seth Swoboda

Default 1928 starter drive

I am in need of a starter drive for a 1928 starter with a 1/2 inch armature shaft. The only starter drives available are for a 5/8 shaft.

Is the model T starter drive the same as a 1928 starter drive?
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 02:14 PM   #2
Gary Karr

Default Re: 1928 starter drive

You will have to look for either an Abell drive or a BR drive, as seen in the Service Bulletins.
Gary Karr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 03:06 PM   #3
Seth Swoboda

Upon some phone calls to Bert's and Snyders I have found that the starter drive for the 1/2 shafts do not exist.

I can convert to a starter with the 5/8 shaft, however if I have the early 28 flywheel it will not accept that starter drive. A look in the inspection plate reveals this truck has the multi disk clutch. I'd have to convert the flywheel, clutch and change the transmission because the input shaft is different on these early clutch set ups.

Does anyone have a photo of the early type flywheel vs the 30-31 flywheel?
Old 01-10-2023, 04:24 PM   #4
rackops

Here's a shot of the multi-disk clutch flywheel from The Restorer (Tom Endy's article).

I just bought one of these...my challenge is finding the RHD parts for the multidisk transmission! (I think perhaps next to impossible...)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2023-01-10_16-22-00.jpg (82.8 KB, 30 views)
rackops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 04:38 PM   #5
Del in NE Ohio

Contact Joe at Buckeye Auto Electric 1-800-USA-5561

Model T starter drive is NOT compatible
Del in NE Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 04:59 PM   #6
Seth Swoboda

Using the information rackops provided and looking in my inspection plate, I definitely have an early 28 clutch, flywheel & transmission.

Left a message with Joe at Buckeye Auto Electric.

Who has a pre war V8 they'd trade?
Old 01-11-2023, 12:11 AM   #7
rotorwrench

Occasionally, a person can find an older starter with either the Abell drive or the A-11350-DR special Bendix drive still attached with 1/2 inch shaft. The starter motor had to be modified a bit to use the "Special Bendix Drive" if it was an Abell type unit. The armature shaft had to be turned down a little bit with a proper radius at the end of the cut. The early types had a ball bearing at that end and the retainer plate had to be opened up a bit. The ones that came later had a bushing and those had to have the bushing bore shaved a bit to get the Bendix to work. This was all before October of 1928 so not many of them survive but there are always those that converted to the later clutch and they would end up with a starter they couldn't use.

I've seen them on flea-pay now and then but not often. The Special Bendix has a smaller pinion and the spring drive spring is a small diameter as well. They used a headless screw fastener to hold the spring on the end closest to the pinion so that it wouldn't contact the flywheel. This is the easy way to ID them. The Abell drive is obviously different with only two slots & protrusions on the drive sleeve to arrest the movement of the pinion shaft. The spring is internal so it's easy to ID these.

It's too bad that no one fabricates new parts for these types but they just didn't make enough cars with the early clutch to justify the expenditure for the tooling on replacements. It's hard to find clutch disks now days and the flywheels are getting more rare as they wear out.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 01-11-2023 at 09:29 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 10:23 PM   #8
supergnat

This link should give you more infomation regarding 1/2 inch bendix drives. https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287007 If not search 1/2 bendix drive. I have sme photos too if you need them
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2023, 09:35 AM   #9
Seth Swoboda

After talking to Snyders they recommended I not swap in a starter with the 5/8 shaft. I was told that the flywheel for the multi disk clutch is a different profile and that the 5/8 starter drive would jamb against the early flywheel and lock up the whole starter drive and flywheel.

What most folks would do is remove the early flywheel, flywheel housing, clutch and transmission. Then replace with the later flywheel, clutch and transmission. That's more work and expense than I wanted to go through if I could avoid it.

I did locate an early starter drive. I will be trying it out probably next week when it arrives.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I learned a lot about '28 model A's. There were many production changes in the early years of A production. I cut my teeth on Model A's but I'm a V8 guy.