Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-12-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
fordson

Exclamation Q: 1,93m tall Person in 1934 Ford Roadster?

Howdy, yes its a stupid Question, but does a 1,93m (6.2 foot) person fit in a 1934 ford roadster? Is it possible to move the bench further back (removing the canopy),or do alterations to the cars body without mangling the car?
Unfortunately its not possible to trial sit.
Regards Randolf
fordson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
Scott H

Default Re: Q: 1,93m tall Person in 1934 Ford Roadster?

not sure about the '34, but on earlier cars Henry Ford supposedly had a steadfast rule that a gronw man should be able to sit in the front sit, bolt upright, wearing his hat, and not touch the roof.

Maybe that's why so many cars get chopped tops, factory put too much altitude in there to start with.
Scott H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
Mart

To save people guessing, 1.93m = 6'4".

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:26 PM   #4
roadster36
BANNED

It depends where your height is.If you have really long legs you might have a problem. I am a little over 6'5". I barely fit into my '34 cabriolet, fit OK in my '34 5-window, and don't fit in my '33 3- window with a 3 1/2 inch chop. The roadster should be the same seat as the cabriolet or coupe. Personally I think they were made for people under 6'.
roadster36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:25 PM   #5
rotorwrench

The roads were more rough in that time period so Ford used some pretty long springs in the seats. Your best solution may be to have some custom seat cushions made with foam stack up that will get you an inch or so back & down as required for best fit possible. Save the original cushions for show.

Kerby
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #6
Jim NC

The seat that came with my '34 roadster was stationary - probably could be moved back a bit but I elected to use a Glide with heaters for more comfort. Hope to have it driving before summer is over.
Jim NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #7
BrianCT

34 phaeton is about like the roadster. Original seat does not adjust and distance to steering wheel is somewhat tight. You will want a custom seat.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #8
Randy

1933-34 roadster seats are fixed and not adjustable. The seat back actually bolts to the package tray. They're not really for big guys, steering wheel is pretty close to the belly. You might could modify the package tray and move the seat back slightly, but not much without affecting the ability of the top to fold down behind the seat.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:17 AM   #9
fordson

Thumbs up Re: Q: 1,93m tall Person in 1934 Ford Roadster?

Hi Mart, youre right its about 6`4"

I have alwas dreamt about a roadster and dont want to let this car go without a fight.

"Roadster 36", can you drive your 34 roadster. If you own one with your height you must surely be able to drive it.

I thought about shortening the panel between the rumble seat (cutting and rewelding) refitting the convertible mechanism further back and extending the metal bars of the canopy attaching to the front window frame.

I read there were only 5200 cars produced of the 34 roadster, so its a once in a lifetime chance. Custom seats shouldnt be a problem and moving back the bench having made the padding thinner surely neds to be done in order to obtain a comfortable ride, Question is if that will be enough before cutting the
metal.

Thank you very much for your feedback!
Regards Randolf
Old 01-15-2011, 04:22 AM   #10
Mr 42

im 187cm short legs long body, I did not have the orignal seat.
And since i have a 2" chopped top , I made my own seat real low and shortened the package tray one and a half inch , to lean the backrest. for a better driving position.

This picture i shortened the package tray.

Last edited by Mr 42; 01-16-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Mr 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
Mike in AZ

shoot, if it's a once in your lifetime chance, buy it...should be able to figure out fit with a new seat...or cushions, etc....might be some room to move the seat back with shortening the package tray....tho it would cramp your style with the top down....Mike
Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 10:31 AM   #12
Asphalt Outlaw Hero

I'm 6'4" and fit ok in a 32 Roadster.I don't run a top mind you.
I got in a 34 Roadster one time with the top up and itwas a tad bit tight.
You can move seat back and down if you don't have a problem with non-original configuration.
Asphalt Outlaw Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #13
Highboy34

Fordson,

I'm 6' 4". On my 34 roadster project I wanted to use the original fixed seat wooden riser moved back some. But the lack of adjustability for a shorter driver and the fact the seat was going to be back so far there wasn't much left of the package tray required a rethink.

I bought a Glide bench seat assembly designed for chopped to 33 and 34s. It's quite low to the floor. It's adjustable fore and aft and the seat back reclines. Unfortunately the package tray had to go to give adaquate room, so shop-built top bows are in order. We're going to make them collapsible so the top can be removed and stored in the trunk. This is the second Glide seat set I've used. They're well made.

Foam will be used and kept to a minimum...just enough for comfort, and hopefully a small chop to the top will be possible. Probably only 1 1/2".

Good luck with your project.
Highboy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 08:08 AM   #14
chuck stevens

I am around 6 feet and this model A is smaller than later models. I changed the fire wall to 32, and move the seat back as far to the rear as I could, eliminating the package shelf. There is still not a lot of room but it's better than before.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my new cowl vent 001.jpg (79.5 KB, 2 views)
chuck stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #15
34s4ever

I'm 6'2",long legs..I drive my 34' roadster alot and it can be a bit cramped legroom wise but I get by..I was planning on building a new seat with a thinner backrest to move my driving position back..You may have to remove the package shelf for more seat room..
34s4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #16
fordson

Hello there,
1st of all i want to thank everybody for their overwhelming support, iam glad to see that other tall chaps are folding their legs back to drive their beautiful machines.

Unfortunately the car got somewhat "sold". Since i intiated the thread you are entitled to know how, even if it is somewhat embarassing.

I had contact with european gangsters, that tried to con me into buying that car. They operate from all over Europe professionally, selling and buying cars, motorbikes and whatnot utilising unbelievable techniques of which prepaid deposits are one method. My research on the internet revealed hundreds of people that have lost money and unfortunately with the latest trend regarding vintage cars as well as restauration projects. In my case, sendt ID documents and title of car were stolen or a fake, initially i thought this is my ticket and i wanted to make sure that i do fit in the car (pathetic!). The people are even knowledgeable of accurate technical/mechanical characteristics and details regarding the type of cars. Contact details/webpage of transport company was all there.
When i was suddenly able to eventually meet the seller to pay the deposit directly, after i told him i was not going to buy something i did not see personally, i got highly suspicious. Having read that the old " sack over the head" method was not so unlikely to take place, i reported the case to the well known international motor sale web page. After a week they only contacted me to say that there was intention of fraud. Finally the car got taken off the webpage. I still received a mail "sold" from the seller.

The story however was somewhat classic: passed away uncle whose nephew inherited the car that was stored in a garage. Car was sold to foreign buyer at a higher price (still cheap due to ignorance of nephew) whose nonreturnable prepaid deposit already paid for transport. The car was already in a truck with other cars ready for departure. The nephew was busy dealing with insolvency of the uncles estate and business, he could not "take over" due to wrong profession.

The pictures of the Ford where professionally taken. When looking at the pictures there were no number plates or background information whatsoever leading to the cars whereabouts. Tracking impossible. It seems to be a huge scam over here, dont know if the USA is involved already.

As far as iam concerned i love my 37 ford even more and can sleep peacefully knowing both my kidneys are where they ought to be. Pitty about the wasted time.

Regards Fordson
Old 01-18-2011, 07:05 PM   #17
BrianCT

Well, at least you played it smart.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #18
tub1

mate its a 34 roadster buy the car and fix the seat were u going to get this oppertunity again its like saying i should of asked that cute babe out dont miss out go for it lol
tub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:52 AM   #19
Mr 42

Ok we have the same situation here in Sweden, ussually they say they live in UK, and want to prepay the car, and pay more then the cost of the car.And you should sen thenm the differance.

If i understand it right most of this guys live i Nigeria..

Regarding 33-34 Roadster,i could not in my wildest dream's think that i would own a 33-34 Roadster in my life, but now i do that ;-) Things will happen.
Mr 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 05:46 AM   #20
Mart

Oh Sh!t it's a scam!

This rings a bell. A Dutch Rodder friend was tempted by a 34 roadster recently, with all paperwork to back it up... Was this the car?

http://www.americanlisted.com/texas_..._16025621.html

The photo is from the genuine USA ad. Not the cloned scam version.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #21
fordson

Hi Mart,
"Ouch", it somewhat hurts to see the picture again, youre 100% right, thats the car!!