Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2018, 02:53 PM   #1
32Bee

Default 35/36 Ford Choke & Throttle Rods

Can the choke and throttle rods be installed in the dash and through the firewall
completely assembled or is it necessary to install the dash grommet first, slide
the knob with its short shaft through then slide the other portion of the rod threw the grommet in the firewall and make the sleeve connection? It looks to me like
the firewall grommet pictured in my reproduction catalogue is split which would easily allow it to be slipped over the assembled rods. As for the ability to do the same at the dash, there appears to be no such split. I need to remove both of my 36 rods and repair them as someone has done a poor job mig welding the joints and they are constantly pulling apart at the joints. Who has recently installed these rods that can give some advise?

Peter
32Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:22 PM   #2
DavidG

Default Re: 35/36 Ford Choke & Throttle Rods

The dash grommets weren't split originally and you should be able to install them without splitting them if your rods are disconnected at the connection by sliding the dash grommet on the knob end of the rod and then making the connection between the two halves of the rod. A little liquid silicone sprayed on the dash grommet should help you push it into place in the hole in the dash. If you had nice rods that had not been disconnected you would have had to split the dash grommet to install it on the rod.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 03:54 PM   #3
Viv W

Hi, I just fitted mine with new knobs. The original rods appear to have been crimped together with a special tool.
I fitted mine by drilling 1/16th holes thru both ends of the sleeve and rods.Then they can slide through the grommets and be connected under the dash with split pins. Neat and easy to take apart again if the need arises. Viv.
Viv W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 06:03 PM   #4
32Bee

Thanks to both of you. I'm looking forward to not having to deal with the constantly
disconnecting rods as this is my driver and I'm slowly getting her to the point where my
wife an I can take our two pugs out for ice creams or a ride to the beach.

Peter
32Bee is offline   Reply With Quote