Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-07-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
George/Maine

Default Flathead with Alternator problem

I have a 49 thur 53 Flathead with the sling shot alt holder.Its a 1 wire.The mounting hole on casing ,on all the gm alts i have hear, is 2" long.From what I see I may have to cut 1/4 off, for the 5/8 pulley to line up.Mine measures 1 3/4".Now under pulleys for fords Speedway has a 1 wire 910-67154 I,m wondering if its machined to 1 3/4 anyone installed one.My alt quit yesterday and the electric fuel pump was making alot of noise,Now its not working pump is quite.Well thats another problem.
George/Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
mainiac239

Default Re: Flathead with Alternator problem

i did see that speedway says something about "modifications" may be necessary, that is why i bought my alt bracket from alan grove
nothing fancy about 85$ shipped, lined up perfect
mainiac239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #3
Jack E/NJ

Good advice. See http://www.alangrovecomponents.com/Ford_Flathead.htm

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:33 PM   #4
George/Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack E/NJ View Post
Looks like i need the 242 bracket,I ,m using a mech fan and don,t see any holes to bolt it on like the speedway one.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:44 PM   #5
joe plumber

I have a regular GM one wire alt.and I used the Speedway#916-67909 bracket with# 910-16252 pulley.I had to cut about 1/2" off the passenger side of the alt.to get it to line up .Took about 5 minutes to cut off using a hacksaw.It was so easy even a you know what could do it .I run the 49-53 flathead in my 55 f-100.

Last edited by joe plumber; 07-07-2010 at 07:46 PM. Reason: wording
joe plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
Jack E/NJ

Joe. Does that 910-16252 pulley have the mechanical fan mount holes that George is looking for?

Jack E/NJ
Jack E/NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
George/Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe plumber View Post
I have a regular GM one wire alt.and I used the Speedway#916-67909 bracket with# 910-16252 pulley.I had to cut about 1/2" off the passenger side of the alt.to get it to line up .Took about 5 minutes to cut off using a hacksaw.It was so easy even a you know what could do it .I run the 49-53 flathead in my 55 f-100.
It looks like it has to be cut here also.This may not be helping things,I have a Edmunds 2 carb manifold and if that other bracket were made farther back from end ,it would have to be 1/4 back to work with no cutting,
Old 07-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
Frank The Plumber

Did your alt die off George, They did a rebuild on one of those Spike TV shows, didn't look too hard to do.
Frank The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
34fivewindow

Quote:
Originally Posted by George/Maine View Post
Looks like i need the 242 bracket,I ,m using a mech fan and don,t see any holes to bolt it on like the speedway one.
George, Offenhauser makes a nice pulley, that is made for the GM alternator, and mounts an early Ford fan. Speedway has them listed in then new catalog.....Ed
34fivewindow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #10
George/Maine

I just removed to old alt and found that it has been cut.I was expecting to not have to cut anything.O well i,m off the repair shop and have it rebuilt. thanks everyone.
Old 07-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
joe plumber

I think most of the alt's have to be cut.When I brought the one from Speedway they told me some modifications would have to be made .The counterman took me back in the warehouse and showed me one they had on a flathead .One of their techs had actually modified the bracket .It looked nice but there was alot of fabricating .I guess it all depends on what you want and what one is capable of doing .To each his own. The bracket I used does have the holes for the fan .The bracket for 1938-45 does not have the holes .
Old 07-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #12
joe plumber

I guess I'm spoiled using Speedway products.I only live about an hour and a half from Speedway and if I want something in a hurry I just make a road trip or call them and I got the part the next day.I have been buying stuff from them since the middle 60's .If you ever get glose to Lincoln ,Ne ,stop in and see Speedy's museum.It will blow your mind.There is stuff there that I didn't know existed.No, I don't work for Speedway either .JMO
Old 07-10-2010, 02:31 PM   #13
George/Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe plumber View Post
I guess I'm spoiled using Speedway products.I only live about an hour and a half from Speedway and if I want something in a hurry I just make a road trip or call them and I got the part the next day.I have been buying stuff from them since the middle 60's .If you ever get glose to Lincoln ,Ne ,stop in and see Speedy's museum.It will blow your mind.There is stuff there that I didn't know existed.No, I don't work for Speedway either .JMO
I'm up and running again.Found out the newer alt using the sling shot bracket are about 7" apart.So the newer one was out.Nothing here at napa store to buy.
So I got on line and looked a Jegs alts.Looked like mine.It was full size early gm style 358-2001 $94.00 ordered it thurday and was here sat at 12 noon.
Works good and must have made my electric fuel pump start ticking.Volt meter is right up there now and this has 70 amp of power.I did have to cut 1/4 off but no problem used new hacksaw blade . Thanks everyone.