Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-02-2023, 09:11 AM   #1
vetpenny

Default Accuracy of a gas gauge in a 35 ford

The level in my red fluid gas gauge seems to vary when I am driving. I wonder how accurate are these gauges. What are your thoughts?
vetpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 12:10 PM   #2
Jeff/Illinois

Default Re: Accuracy of a gas gauge in a 35 ford

Not sure about a '35, but the 'newer' gas gauge in our '36 PU is actually very accurate! All my original gauges in the pickup are.

Well the speedo is off a bit, reads slow, but only because we are running 650-16's not the 600-16's A cop actually pulled me over a while back for speeding. It felt great!!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 03:07 PM   #3
vetpenny

The 35 ford has a hydrostatic gas gauge and is not the same as the 36 gas gauge. When I add gas the red fluid rises to a level and remains constant. How-ever after driving the car a few miles, the level increases giving a false reading. Since the gas gauge was just installed does it require that I drive the car several times before it stabilizes? What are your thoughts?
Old 07-02-2023, 04:33 PM   #4
JimG

I have been working on trying to improve the function of my hydrostatic gas gauge in my 34 for a last year or so. There is a lot of trial and error involved. The whole system from the tank to the copper line to the gauge needs to have no leaks. There is a copper or brass rod in the gauge that adjusts the fluid level in the gauge. My gauge always read about 1/2 to 5/8" full when the tank was filed. I have been playing with adjusting this rod by trying to add a second 24 gauge brass wire, which did seem to bring the level up to the F mark when full. Over the winter I lost some fluid somewhere and just added some more. My gauge does go down if the car is not driven, but then goes back up when you start driving. The gas sloshing around in the tank and when you go over bumps makes it go up. I am still experimenting. Deuce Lover on this form knows a lot about these gauges and I have been getting advice from him. Another issue is that the red color in the liquid available today seems to fade over time, so you have to redo the liquid over time. The gauge is basically a liquid filled manometer, so if all the components are good, there is no reason why it should not work accurately. My experience says it is a system that takes some degree of effort over time to get it working reasonably well.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 06:43 PM   #5
ndnchf

A very timely discussion. Today I made a deal to buy a very nice '35 Fordor. Unfortunately, the gas gauge is not working. It has a new gas tank, but the gauge shows nothing. I look forward to learning about it.
Steve
ndnchf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 06:59 PM   #6
JimG

Enclosed are some service bulletins and other information on the hydrostatic fuel gauge that might be useful for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GaugeRepair1.jpg (49.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg GaugeRepair2.jpg (53.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg GaugeRepair3.jpg (56.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg GaugeRepair4.jpg (51.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg GaugeRepair5.jpg (47.4 KB, 13 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf attachment.pdf (426.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: pdf Model A Ford Garage ~ Model B Hydrostatic Fuel Gauge and Sender.pdf (331.5 KB, 17 views)
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 07:14 PM   #7
Floyd

When clean ,installed correctly and calibrated with the proper fluid and original calibration wire, they are totally accurate. They have to be. They are a manometer, no moving parts and depends only on gravity. In theory, they cannot be wrong if they were installed properly.
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2023, 07:31 PM   #8
vetpenny

Thank you JimG and Floyd for the service bulletins and comments. Hopefully A&L in Canton, Conn will have the parts and red fluid if I need them.
Old 07-03-2023, 06:08 AM   #9
ndnchf

Thanks for the service bulletins and info. My learning curve is steep here.
Old 07-03-2023, 07:06 AM   #10
Terry,OH

Renners Corner sells red gauge fluid that they have used in their gauges for 6 years without any change in color. They also sell some repair parts. Look on their web site.
Terry,OH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 12:43 PM   #11
ndnchf

So studying the sending unit, there are no moving parts - right? So long as the holes are clear and there are no breaks, it should be good. My car has a new tank and the sending unit is installed. I've not yet traced the air line to confirm it is hooked up. I hurt my hand last week and am somewhat limited at the moment. Does the wire in the gauge unit simply adjust the level by displacing a little fluid? How hard is it to remove the gauge and check it out and fill it?

Thanks,
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230714_121151_resized_1.jpg (157.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 20230714_124213_resized_2.jpg (49.7 KB, 12 views)
Old 07-15-2023, 12:18 AM   #12
deuce lover

Its easier to remove the speedometer first to gain easy access the gas gauge. In looking at the rear of the gas gauge you will see a nut that secures the air line(to tank) on the brass hex.Carefully unscrew it and take off the line with it.There is a ferrule soldered to the air line. There are 2 screws that secure the gauge to the gauge housing.Remove the gauge and service it. Here are pics of the brushes I use to clean the sight glass and hex tube using acetone or lac thinner-the cleaner must pass thru from the hex to sight glass easily.They(brushes) are on Ebay for $6,after blowing out the cleaning fluid ,Refill it (using a syringe-I found on Amazon ,$3)with the fluid to the empty line.Reinstall the unit and air line.I use a light smear of non hardening sealer on cone of the ferrule to be sure of no air leaks when nut is tightened down just snugly . Fluid is currently available at Renner's Corner in MI.Here are pics of what your gauge looks like out of the housing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35 gas gauge back.jpg (21.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 35 gas gauge front.jpg (26.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Gauge cleaning brushes.jpg (36.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg syringe.jpg (19.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Air line w:ferrel 1.jpg (32.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by deuce lover; 07-15-2023 at 12:35 AM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 06:30 AM   #13
ndnchf

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce lover View Post
Its easier to remove the speedometer first to gain easy access the gas gauge. In looking at the rear of the gas gauge you will see a nut that secures the air line(to tank) on the brass hex.Carefully unscrew it and take off the line with it.There is a ferrule soldered to the air line. There are 2 screws that secure the gauge to the gauge housing.Remove the gauge and service it. Here are pics of the brushes I use to clean the sight glass and hex tube using acetone or lac thinner-the cleaner must pass thru from the hex to sight glass easily.They(brushes) are on Ebay for $6,after blowing out the cleaning fluid ,Refill it (using a syringe-I found on Amazon ,$3)with the fluid to the empty line.Reinstall the unit and air line.I use a light smear of non hardening sealer on cone of the ferrule to be sure of no air leaks when nut is tightened down just snugly . Fluid is currently available at Renner's Corner in MI.Here are pics of what your gauge looks like out of the housing.

Thank you, this is very helpful. I need to trace the air line from the tank and make sure it is in good shape. I'll order some fluid from Renners. I think I have a set of those little brushes. Maybe there is hope of getting it working 😀
Old 07-15-2023, 06:47 AM   #14
Terry,OH

mdmchf: There appears to be something over the end of one of your copper lines coming from the sending unit, that does not appear to be as original. The crimped off end of the second line with the small vent hole on the top of the line is correct
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 35 hydrostatic gas tank sending unit.jpg (23.8 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by Terry,OH; 07-15-2023 at 06:52 AM.
Terry,OH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 07:02 AM   #15
ndnchf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry,OH View Post
mdmchf: There appears to be something over the end of one of your copper lines coming from the sending unit, that does not appear to be as original. The crimped off end of the second line with the small vent hole on the top of the line is correct
Yes, it has a rubber cover on the end. Is this another vent in addition to the one next to it with the small hole? It looks easy enough to remove.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20230715_075755_copy_817x755.jpg (40.1 KB, 2 views)
Old 07-15-2023, 07:04 AM   #16
deuce lover

Yes,they are both vents
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote