Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-21-2022, 03:45 PM   #1
HDowse

Default '37 spark plug wires

It’s time to replace the spark plug wires so Charlie NY's rebuilt distributor with Skip's coil can function at their best. The wires go through the metal tube from the rubber boots on the distributor to the spark plugs. I have the tubes off the truck. What’s the best way to thread them through the tube? Start with the longest and end up with the shortest wire? It sure looks like a tight fit but I’m sure there’s a trick or two.
HDowse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 09:32 PM   #2
ford38v8

Default Re: '37 spark plug wires

The most critical length is at the distributor cap end, there being no room for error inside the cap. Get the cap right then wiggle and jiggle from there on through the tube. What helps in the tube is to have fish wires through each hole to their respective wires, while guiding each to prevent crossovers. Remember, all is lost if the wires aren’t perfect inside the cap, so a complete connection to the inner caps with a continuity check before proceeding can prevent disaster later.
EDIT: though not specified in any instructions I am aware of, I’d advise soldering the connectors to the wire ends. Also, check the proximity of the rotor to the inner cap, as repop caps contacts may actually touch the rotor, which of course would really be disastrous.

Last edited by ford38v8; 02-21-2022 at 09:41 PM.
ford38v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 11:32 PM   #3
Tinker

Are you using wire stock on a roll or a pre-cut set? Set up the distributor first with the lines through the tubes with long wires, off the vehicle. Then add it to the vehicle, pull extra, and cut to make the plugs the length you want.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 05:27 PM   #4
HDowse

All parts have arrived and I'll star fishing wires through the tubes as ford38v8 suggested. The wires came with the correct color coding and length for the year and the ends are soldered. Interestingly, one tube is correct for the year 37 while the other is correct for the later replacement motor. I just came across a motor tag showing a rebuilt 59 motor was installed in May 1946 when the truck had just over 37000 miles on it. They installed an oil filter then, too. Probably trying to extend the life of the new motor….which was rebuilt locally in 1989.
HDowse is offline   Reply With Quote