Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2024, 11:32 PM   #1
KeeKeeBoy46

Smile Tires

Greetings, Any advice and/or experience out there for radials for a 1940 4 door sedan deluxe ? Shocks, springs and front suspension good. Would like to get the best ride I can and I like wide tires within reason of course. Thank you !! Kenny C
KeeKeeBoy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 12:25 AM   #2
Newc

Default Re: Tires

Firestones are almost twice the price of other brands ???? shop around. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 07:09 AM   #3
paul2748

Check Diamondback - don't know if they have the size your looking for, but give it a try.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 09:38 AM   #4
Seth Swoboda

Diamondback has a 6.00 x 16 radial. They call it the Auburn. It comes in 6.00 x 16 or 6.50 x16. I think it looks better than the Coker. The Diamondback tire is also cheaper than the Coker Tire.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2024, 09:43 AM   #5
john in illinois

Diamond Back Auburn Deluxe tires have 16" radials with traditional bias ply looks.If you want stock size tires the have 6.00 x16. They seem expensive but Coker is a lot more expensive now and has some quality issues.

I just bought 4 Auburns for my Av8 roadster. I have Coker radials on my Model A..

Seth beat me typing.
John
Old 02-03-2024, 11:32 AM   #6
Seth Swoboda

Quote:
Originally Posted by john in illinois View Post
Diamond Back Auburn Deluxe tires have 16" radials with traditional bias ply looks.If you want stock size tires the have 6.00 x16. They seem expensive but Coker is a lot more expensive now and has some quality issues.

I just bought 4 Auburns for my Av8 roadster. I have Coker radials on my Model A..

Seth beat me typing.
John
John, I have a pickup with Coker tires. I'm wanting to soon purchase a set of Diamonback Auburns for my '37. A friend of mine put them on his '35 Tudor and I liked them.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 01:27 AM   #7
SoCalCoupe

I bought the 6.00 x 16 Diamondback Auburns last year. Awesome product, great quality, really satisfied.
SoCalCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 06:25 AM   #8
ScubaChief60

I am using Firestone Transforce 6.00 x 16. Radial using radial tubes in wire wheels. So far they have performed great about 400 miles in.
ScubaChief60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 08:47 AM   #9
john in illinois

Two things to mention. Auburn tires are tubeless,Coker is designed for tubes. If you purchase either tire From. Summit Racing you will get free shipping or
only a $10 oversize fee.

John
Old 02-05-2024, 09:29 AM   #10
farmertom

Kenny C, i have a '37 sedan last spring i noticed a air leak in one of the tube type 9 yr old firestone bias ply so i did the research anbd decided that all the bias look radials were priced too high for my taste. in spring summer fall i drive my '37 every day out for usally an hour jaunt.i dont care its not a show car and im not going for points and these cars did nnot come with wwwalls. the '37 wheels i was concerned because thyey are riveted might leak with no inner tubes. after all the work ive done on the car and noting its two prev owners the car has had a sheltered life,and the wheels were in amazing shape so i pulled the trigger on some modern radials on amazon for $108.ea blackwall tubeless. had local small tire shop in town which has been in bussiness for 50 some yrs didnt balance either. the ride, handling awesome copared to the dried out bias plys. and....no air loss! Tom.
farmertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 10:11 AM   #11
KeeKeeBoy46

Tom, thanks for your great reply regarding the tires. I don't really care either what the tires look like in relationship to being "vintage" style. All I'm looking for is a comfortable ride, decent quality and improved steering. So, I'm leaning also toward the regular radials for my 40 Ford sedan. Can you tell me more about the tires you purchased on Amazon ? Thanks again ! Kenny
Old 02-05-2024, 04:50 PM   #12
farmertom

hello again Kenny, i just looked the tires up on amazon and they are cheaper than when i got them last spring,but it says there bis one in stock. i think they will probly get more. 225/75R16 104T 50K mi. tire.tire dia 28.98"tall 26.9lbs weight. called starfire solarus they are a Cooper built tire. they have a nice look to them a little wider than the 6.50 16 bias plys i had on there. you should find out dimention of oe tires that youre '40 was born with. my '37 is a fordor humpback ad i believe our cars maybe close to or less than what these tires are reccomended for suvs light trucks. my '37 rides soo much better. hopes this info helps. i believe your wheels are welded which would be even safer than the riveted '37 wheels. if yopu do decide to go this route take caution no hard turns at first to see how they perform. i dont driveany faster than 40 mph.dont need to i stay with 35 zones and listen to the flathead purrr good enough for me.like i said i diddnt balance because '37 wheels are the wide 5s. they have a 10 1/2" bolt circle. look at pics of these and you will see why that most tire shops wont fit on spin balencer. they seem to ride just fine at my speeds.arent the'40 wheels 5 on 5 1/2" bolt circle? hope this helps. Tom.
farmertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 07:23 PM   #13
slowforty

Find a set of 70s Ford pick up rims 15 inch. Use the 215/75 size. 225/15 are difficult to remove from the rear well opening
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 10:04 PM   #14
KeeKeeBoy46

Thanks Seth. Went with the Diamondback 6.50-16 radials through Summit Racing plus free delivery. Prices seem about the same everywhere. Diamondback had the same price but wanted a big shipping fee. $ 185.00 !!!
Old 02-09-2024, 11:01 PM   #15
Steve in Denver

I have tubes in my double whitewall, Diamond Back Radials, works great!!!

Coker would not do Double Whitewalls in Radials, not sure if Doubles are correct for the '40s.
Old 02-10-2024, 08:12 AM   #16
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newc View Post
Firestones are almost twice the price of other brands ???? shop around. Newc
Does Firestone make a vintage radial? I haven't shopped for tires in a while.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 09:03 AM   #17
ScubaChief60

I stated earlier that they were Firestone 6.00 X 16... and that's not so... though they do fit like them.

As for me... I wound up with Firestone Transforce CV radials and using radial tubes.

They are sized 195/75R16C.

Local Firestone dealer had them in one day and installed problem free.

I have used them now for a year without issues.

Take care!
ScubaChief60 is offline   Reply With Quote