Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2023, 12:20 PM   #1
C1Nelson

Default Bad Inner Tubes/Ruined Tires or Tubeless

A friend of mine recently drove to the Florida Keys from Idaho in one of his Model A’s. While coming home in Arkansas he experienced failure of inner tubes that he had purchased through Coker when he had also replaced tires before his trip. He had taken spare tubes with him but quickly found out he needed more tubes and tires as it ruined the tires before he could get off the road. He had new tires and tubes shipped to him while holding up in a small town. I don’t think Coker helped him with any adjustments or replacements caused from the bad tube. He had radial tires and the radial tubes.

I watched on Youtube “Team Merrill and his 29 Model A and the 2022 Great Race” this week. During that video he said that for about the past five years he stopped using tubes with his Model A tires. He said if the wheels are good and powder coated you could use the tires as tubeless. He said he has had no tire issues since changing. He said he has run 15 great races.

Has anybody else changed over to running tubeless?
C1Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 12:28 PM   #2
Y-Blockhead

Default Re: Bad Inner Tubes/Ruined Tires or Tubeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by C1Nelson View Post
A friend of mine recently drove to the Florida Keys from Idaho in one of his Model A’s. While coming home in Arkansas he experienced failure of inner tubes that he had purchased through Coker when he had also replaced tires before his trip. He had taken spare tubes with him but quickly found out he needed more tubes and tires as it ruined the tires before he could get off the road. He had new tires and tubes shipped to him while holding up in a small town. I don’t think Coker helped him with any adjustments or replacements caused from the bad tube. He had radial tires and the radial tubes.
See my post in another thread (https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=333990, post #11) about "Inspection Stickers" in the Coker American Classic Radials. This is an on going issue. The Coker tubes are not the problem. I was using Snyder's Tubes when I experienced flats.

I am now using Coker Radial Tubes (they seem thicker, especially around the valve stem) with the silicone talc nkaminar recommended. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...clickkey=52466 No issues.

There are numerous other posts on this subject.

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 12-23-2023 at 12:51 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 12:41 PM   #3
Y-Blockhead

Actually here are some pictures of the "Inspection Stickers" so you know what to look for and damage they cause.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0834 2.jpg (77.6 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0835.jpg (41.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0836.jpg (38.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0837.jpg (21.7 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 12-23-2023 at 01:20 PM.
Old 12-23-2023, 01:09 PM   #4
mhsprecher

I was using Coker radial tubes and had failures in one tube and determined that given what the failure looked like, that it was the label inside the tire that caused the problem. With Coker's tubes, there is a warning on the box (Hartford tubes) about removing anything inside the tire, but it's easily overlooked. I now have plenty of experience changing tires and tubes on my 1928 roadster. There has been more than one post about this and Ron Ehrenhofer mentioned it in the latest Model A News, so word is getting out about this problem. It was a pain demounting all the tires and removing those little labels, but there is no other way around it.
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 01:18 PM   #5
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
I was using Coker radial tubes and had failures in one tube and determined that given what the failure looked like, that it was the label inside the tire that caused the problem. With Coker's tubes, there is a warning on the box (Hartford tubes) about removing anything inside the tire, but it's easily overlooked. I now have plenty of experience changing tires and tubes on my 1928 roadster. There has been more than one post about this and Ron Ehrenhofer mentioned it in the latest Model A News, so word is getting out about this problem. It was a pain demounting all the tires and removing those little labels, but there is no other way around it.
Thing is, when I mounted my 5 American Classic Tires I didn't use Coker (Hartford) tubes. No warning.

Coker needs to put a warning label OUTSIDE the tire that is EASILY SEEN.

When I contacted Coker, they didn't seem too interested...
Old 12-23-2023, 03:12 PM   #6
AzBob

Coker now lists the warning on the outside tire sticker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0123.jpg (34.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0124.jpg (51.2 KB, 29 views)
AzBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 03:51 PM   #7
nkaminar

Friend of mine runs his tires tubeless. I don't. I think the wheel has to be in good condition so that the tire makes an airtight seal. In the back of my head there is a little voice saying that there is something on the market that will improve the seal that the tires makes. Maybe it's that green slime that fixes flats?

Tires can be ruined by running flat. The rim cuts the tire. It may not be noticed on the outside of the tire but the tire cords are weakened. Modern tires can withstand 200 psi but the weakened tire will hold much less and explode if the air pressure is too much. There are plenty of videos of exploding tires on the internet. These are used tires which likely have been damaged.

When cages came out to put tires in when they were blown up, the purpose was misunderstood. The tire technicians complained that they did not want to get in the cage with the tire. In case anyone takes this seriously, it is intended as a joke.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 04:14 PM   #8
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
In the back of my head there is a little voice saying that there is something on the market that will improve the seal that the tires makes.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 04:54 PM   #9
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzBob View Post
Coker now lists the warning on the outside tire sticker.
Would it be too difficult for Coker to put their inspection stickers say, on the tread? It's not that difficult if they wanted to improve. I haven't bought a Coker tyre for many years now (since 1996) after a friend and I had trouble with the stickers in the tyres we had fitted to a car in New Zealand for a rally. I'm sure the powers that be in some of these companies have no idea how long a bad experience by someone has with their product affects their reputation (and sales).
Old 12-23-2023, 05:16 PM   #10
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Would it be too difficult for Coker to put their inspection stickers say, on the tread? It's not that difficult if they wanted to improve. I haven't bought a Coker tyre for many years now (since 1996) after a friend and I had trouble with the stickers in the tyres we had fitted to a car in New Zealand for a rally. I'm sure the powers that be in some of these companies have no idea how long a bad experience by someone has with their product affects their reputation (and sales).
I agree, these stickers in the American Classic are tuff to get out. They are plastic seem to be vulcanized inside the tire. They come out in pieces. Totally unnecessary, IMO.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0837.jpg (21.7 KB, 126 views)
Old 12-23-2023, 06:14 PM   #11
AzBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead View Post
I agree, these stickers in the American Classic are tuff to get out. They are plastic seem to be vulcanized inside the tire. They come out in pieces. Totally unnecessary, IMO.

When I ordered my 4 ACR's in May of this year, there were NO stickers inside the tires. Along with the warning on the outside tire sticker and the absence of stickers on the inside, It appears someone at Coker Tire got the word.
AzBob is offline   Reply With Quote