Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-2011, 12:27 PM   #1
Tim

Default A powered Pietenpol Air Camper

My Dad and I have always been around, loved, flown airplanes our whole life. R/C and Real ones. My Grandad was a Navigatoe on the B-17's in WWII an dmy Dad finally got his real license about 5-7 years ago. Poor guy has Diabetes now and it's tough for him to go through all the Doctor stuff. But There's no reason a Homebuilt wouldn't suffice for both of us. It would also let me finally get a legal pilot license and stop riding right seat everytime. We are both former cabinet makers and all around woodbugs, especially my Dad who is a master at just about everything he touches. So the construction of the airframe is no problem.

My question is this though- Has anybody on here done this or in the process of doing this? I'm going to use a Model A engine I have and that's what the original Pietenpols were powered by. That's what got all my wheels turning. I also need to find a set of Plans. We have the R/C ones as my Dad used to work for House of Balsa and actually designed the first kit of this for them. But it's got way to much dihedral and other changes to make it R/C ready.

I know this is pretty far off topic and the only thing that even keeps it here is the A motor. But I'm serious about this and will look into the other sites as well. But the FordBarn is such a great place to find Banger stuff. And after all an Airplane powered by a Banger would be the ultimate for me.

Happy New Year and thank you in advance,

Tim

Here's a picture so you don't think I'm completely crazy

Last edited by Tim; 01-01-2011 at 12:41 PM.
Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #2
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

Default Re: A powered Pietenpol Air Camper

Those are nice but for personal preference, I'd rather have a Ford Flivver plane...

Every once in a while you'll see a Pietenpol at various airshows.

In this short Video you can see Henry Ford inspecting one. I just like the big Ford Script on the side!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_v4td0dtf18
Old 01-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
Keith True

The plans are available.Just google Bernard Pietenpol,the club will show up,plus the place where you can buy the plans.For some reason I think it is his son or grandson.They reccomend the B engine.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:28 PM   #4
Aerocraft

The Pietenpol is a great choice for a project for you and your Dad. It is an easy airplane to build and fly. I personally prefer the Model A engine although, at 210, I also prefer to consider it a single place airplane. If you plan to use it as a cross-country airplane, an A-65-8 Continental might be an engine worth considering due to it's proven reliability.

EAA Chapter 431 sponsors a "Pietenpol Flyin" at the Brodhead, Wisconsin airport late in July every year. That is a great place to meet other builders, see various combinations of airplane / powerplants, and get the opportunity to ride in the airplane.

Using Google, look up the Pietenpol builders group and EAA chapter 431. There are also a number of websites with a lot of Pietenpol pictures. I have a number of Pietenpol pictures on my personal profile here in Fordbarn. Also, there have been a number of threads posted here on the "new" Fordbarn that you might enjoy. Gar Williams
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gail's Pietenpol.jpg (53.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg APMpiets.jpg (17.1 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 10-7-25 Pietenpol at Brodhead (1).jpg (40.8 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 10-7-25 Pietenpol at Brodhead (3).jpg (66.0 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg 10-7-25 Pietenpol at Brodhead.jpg (57.1 KB, 79 views)
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
sturgis 39

Do you have to use pressure oil system for climbing and descending (hopefully controlled).

WHAT ENGINE MODIFICATIONS ARE REQUIRED? I BOUGHT AN RC KIT AND SOMEBODY MADE OFF WITH IT. NEVER DID GET TO PUT IT TOGETHER. THEY QUIT MAKING THE KIT AND I DO NOT THINK THEY ARE AVAILABLE NOW. I THINK THE KIT WAS AROUND A FORTY TO SIXTY SIZE. THIS WAS BACK IN THE EIGHTIES.

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.

Last edited by sturgis 39; 01-01-2011 at 07:57 PM.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:08 PM   #6
coilover

My younger brother, now deceased, built a Pietenpol about 35 years ago. He had very few tools so it must be an easy plane to build. He used a 140(?)hp Corvair engine in place of the 40hp A engine. This plane is probably still around somewhere. By the way, I thought he was calling it a "Pete" and "Paul". I never rode in it but the guys at a small field near him said it would nearly leap into the air.
coilover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
dave in australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgis 39 View Post
Do you have to use pressure oil system for climbing and descending (hopefully controlled).

WHAT ENGINE MODIFICATIONS ARE REQUIRED? I BOUGHT AN RC KIT AND SOMEBODY MADE OFF WITH IT. NEVER DID GET TO PUT IT TOGETHER. THEY QUIT MAKING THE KIT AND I DO NOT THINK THEY ARE AVAILABLE NOW. I THINK THE KIT WAS AROUND A FORTY TO SIXTY SIZE. THIS WAS BACK IN THE EIGHTIES.
All the required engine mods are in the plans, from how to modify the oil pan to how to modify the radiator. Spruce kits are available from aircraft parts suppliers. The kit has all the required sectional sizes, you just cut the correct piece to the correct length. The supplied wood from these companies are also certified to be compliant with airworthiness regs. If doing this, I would suggest going down to an airport where wooden framed planes are maintained, volunteer your labour for free and learn the correct tecniques for putting a spruce plane together. Also, look around at different educational places and see if any run courses for building kit planes. The last thing you want is to be flying along and something you did comes unstuck. Remember, in the air you can't pull over to the side when something breaks.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #8
Tim

Thanks to all! That was a waaay better response than anticipated. I'm really excited about this and since posting this my Dad pretty much signed on to the point of if I donate/build the engine we'll build an airframe. I can't wait! Hopefully I can post some in progress pictures when we get going.

Thanks again and Happy New Year,

Tim
Old 01-01-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

Definitely post photos!
Old 01-02-2011, 01:20 AM   #10
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Here is a taste;
Attached Files
File Type: pdf pietenpol.pdf (1.21 MB, 108 views)
Old 01-02-2011, 01:59 AM   #11
1931 flamingo

Best of luck to you. Friend of mine has been building a "seaplane" kit. For about the last 14 years.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:06 AM   #12
40 Deluxe

Also YouTube has quite a few videos of 'A' powered Pietenpols. Some neat in-cockpit, in-flight videos, too.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:34 AM   #13
sturgis 39

Mike v

thanks for the pdf file

Do not get me started on the stupidity of ethanol. I think one of the monitors is from Iowa and he will delete the thread.
sturgis 39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:37 PM   #14
howie123

If you ever get a chance you should visit the EAA museum in Oshkosh, WI. It is a beautiful museum with all types of aircraft. Surrounding the museum they have several hangers with additional planes and parts. That is where I first saw a Model A engine used in an airplane. They also have very knowledgeable docents to answer questions. Good luck with the project. Howie
howie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:26 PM   #15
Tim

Thank you Mike V. That was great and had a lot of good information.

Tim
Old 01-02-2011, 04:43 PM   #16
eatonaxle

Hi. I have basic plans for the Model 'A' Engine conversion.
eatonaxle is offline   Reply With Quote