Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-15-2015, 08:06 PM   #1
Alaska Jim

Default Air Cleaners

Have any of you fellows seem, or tried these air cleaners on a 2x4 Y-Block with the Holley 4000 teapot carbs ? if so what are your impressions? If I were to use them I would do away with the V8 logo filter screen and use something else, probably some type of expanded metal formed to fit. any comments pro's con's etc. are welcome. one of my main concerns is that they may be to restrictive. Thanks, Jim http://www.spotlitekustomaccessories..._Cleaners.html
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:28 PM   #2
rowens55

Default Re: Air Cleaners

I can't say they are the same, but they look VERY similar to the ones my friend Jim (Kahuna) has on his 32-flat head w/dual holley tea pots. He had no complaints when I ask him about them. I too, will be running dual teapots on my Y. I have been thinking about a set myself. He has taller filter elements that he trimed to fit. Looks pretty kool as well.
Rowen
Old 12-15-2015, 08:40 PM   #3
dmsfrr

I agree that 'as is' they look too restrictive,
and...
having a taller element to fit the height of the teapots is probably necessary.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:24 PM   #4
miker98038

Just a thought. To disguise a K&N when I had the Paxton blower on the 'bird, I found some wire mesh at the hardware store. Cheap and easy, and looked like the old time oiled elements (not oil bath). Fooled almost eveyone.

I think they look pretty cool, as is.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 10:55 PM   #5
Alaska Jim

The problem is that the Elements in these are "D" shaped, and I do not know if taller ones are available. As I said I probably would not use the "V8" logo filter screen and fab. up one made of some type of expanded metal, or something like Miker98038 , suggested and use the old racer trick of doubling up the filter element ,sealing the two together with silicone. the expanded metal screen would probably hide the fact that that there were two elements. I like the design of the "D" shape because it takes up less space, and on my open wheeled, and hoodless Model A, they have to fit between the radiator support rods. Maybe Kahuna will chime in and tell us what he is using. Thanks to all who answered.-----Jim
Old 12-15-2015, 11:44 PM   #6
miker98038

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Jim, reading their "about us", I'd call them, or at least try an email. If they're what they say they are, they might be able to put together a custom package for you. I've had good luck with small firms working with me on things like this. A set up to clear 2 tea pots would generate some interest here and at yblocksforever.com. Especially if they could just assemble it on the top and base.
miker98038 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 11:45 PM   #7
Alaska Jim

Got this back from an Inquiry as to the size of the filter Assy. -------------- " Hi Jim. The 5 1/8 is the base opening. The over all height is 3 inches and the diameter is just under 8 inches " I need to call back tomorrow and get clarification if that is over all height for the complete assy. , or just the element. going out to the garage now to measure the carb's again. looks like they need to be about 3 3/4 to 4 " from carb flange to bottom of air cleaner stud. was just a quick measurement. went out to the garage in my PJ's and it was snowing so had to hurry.

Last edited by Alaska Jim; 12-16-2015 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-15-2015, 11:53 PM   #8
Alaska Jim

Miker, I called him today. he and his wife do thus business as a side, they do not do enough volume for full time, he has a regular "normal" job and I caught him on the ride home so he could not double ck anything. we were both on cell phones, him in So. Cal, and me in Alaska. reception was not good. I will try and get hold of him tomorrow and see what we can come up with.-----Jim
Old 12-15-2015, 11:59 PM   #9
Alaska Jim

dmsfrr , When I talked to him today he claimed they fit the tea-pots. said he sold a set to a guy who had a small bird and used them on a y-block with tea-pots and had no problem , or at least no complaints, but like I suggested they may be to restrictive.

Last edited by Alaska Jim; 12-16-2015 at 12:08 AM.
Old 12-16-2015, 05:00 AM   #10
RCM

Jim, you could try building your own. Here's what I did: https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=172681
RCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:38 PM   #11
scicala

Jim, it's hard to say if they will be too restrictive on a dual quad set up. I doubt you will ever flow more than about 250 CFM out of each at wide open throttle, even if at around 6000 RPM. Instead of double stacking paper filter elements, you could add a 5 1/8" ID spacer between the bottom ring of the air cleaner and the carb flange. Double stacked or a thicker paper element would probably look and work the best though.
Can't believe the ones on you're link are tall enough for a teapot though. After measuring a '55 and a '56 teapot that I have, it's about 4 3/8" from the carb flange (5 1/8" dia.) and the top of the carb where the stud for the air cleaner screws in on the '55 carb. On a '56 teapot, it's about 4 1/8".

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 03:40 PM   #12
scicala

Also, I talked to Kahuna about his air cleaners in the past, and he wasn't sure where they came from, or if they are still available.

Sal
scicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:50 PM   #13
Alaska Jim

Thanks for your input Sal , I appreciate it. although my quick estimate last night was off, I believe you are right, in that the over all height seems to be to short. May be Kahuna can post a picture of his air cleaners and a few measurements from his. I am going to get in touch with spotlite kustom Accessories' either later today or tomorrow, and see if can get a bit more info as far as the measurements go. I will be busy with Dr. appointments the next few days, so may be a little longer Thanks again, Jim
Old 12-16-2015, 04:55 PM   #14
Alaska Jim

RCM, I had seen your air Filter set -up when you originally posted it. very ingenious, and good looking. something similar could be in the future for this project. I had planned that a home fabricated unit may be the best choice, but I like the "D" shape of these and was hoping they would fit. thanks for your input.---Jim
Old 12-16-2015, 05:37 PM   #15
1957ford

Jim,
Randy here in Wisconsin. I just got back on the Ford Barn --- and I was reading the discusion on the daul quad carbs for the Yblocks. I am sure you guys know they make a pretty decent repo of the Ford early oval and later Ford round factory cleaners. Depending on what intake you are using, the repops are decent looking and function well. I have 10 factory dual quad 57 Fords and 20-25 E code setups and some have really cool aftermarket cleaners but I am sure they are obsolete now.
1957ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:24 PM   #16
Alaska Jim

1957 ford, I would like to see them, maybe you could post some pictures of some of them. ---Jim
Old 12-17-2015, 01:35 PM   #17
Kahuna

Guys
The air filters from Spotlite are copies of the ones I have and use on my (2) 4 bbl teapots.
Mine were made years ago for use on almost any 2X4 setup with the carbs closely coupled. Mine originally used a wire screen and horse hair filter material of sorts, which I relaced by going to my local NAPA store for paper filters which I then cut to fit the filter shape.

Now, the Spotlite stuff is real good, I think. I have no idea where he gets his filters, but I wouldn't worry at all about them being restrictive. He seems like a real good guy. I spoke to him on the phone re some other stuff.

Last note.
If you wanted to use his filter base and top, just get filters in the height you want/ need
and extend the bolt used to hold the 2 together. As far as I recall, it's about a 9" diameter filter.
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 02:11 PM   #18
1957ford

Jim,
Not sure how to post a pic here on the Ford Barn ---- I am an old timer and not tooooooooooooooooooo good on this computer ------ but if you can email me at [email protected] I'll see if my wife can email you some pics. I have been into the E codes since 1964, we drive them from coast to coast on vacation in the summer. We run Yblocks all winter here in Wisconsin in our 59 4X4's so we are definately Y block people.
1957ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 04:15 PM   #19
Alaska Jim

Kahuna, Thanks for your information. I would most likely just use the top and the base , and if it was not tall enough I would double up the filters. When I inquired about Filter availability, he set he would include 2 extra filters for an extra $30.00. I suppose this is probably a fair price. I will probably wait until after Christmas if I order a set. I am still looking at other set ups, but I like the look of the "D" shape. you think that the base and top pieces are about the same as your set-up as far as the rise height of the base? Thanks for your information, I appreciate it.-----Jim
Old 12-17-2015, 04:33 PM   #20
Alaska Jim

1957ford, sent you an e-mail.-----Jim