Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
james.heider

Default Dum-Dum as a windshield hinge header seal

In an earlier post regarding wood glue The discussion involved Dum-Dum.
Pluck made the following statement.

[The "Dum Dum" was used to set the windshield assembly (upper hinge area) itself to the lower part of the header of the body so as not to allow water to enter inside of the cab.

Pluck ]

I have a Victoria and as soon as I get my windshield back with the glass in it I am going to mount it to the header.
I purchased a windshield rubber set Part number A45502A from Berts. This kit has a preformed rubber seal that goes between the hinge and header.

Would it be better to use the Dum-Dum type material in place of the rubber hinge seal.
james.heider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:23 PM   #2
jan bogert

Default Re: Dum-Dum as a windshield hinge header seal

i had my own auto glass shop. and i would prefer it. i used 1 " by 1/16" buytle tape. with dum dum you'll get a seal for sure. any oose out just scrape off. JAN.
jan bogert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
pick

what's "dum dum"?
pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:09 PM   #4
329s

Quote:
Originally Posted by james.heider View Post
In an earlier post regarding wood glue The discussion involved Dum-Dum.
Pluck made the following statement.

[The "Dum Dum" was used to set the windshield assembly (upper hinge area) itself to the lower part of the header of the body so as not to allow water to enter inside of the cab.

Pluck ]

I have a Victoria and as soon as I get my windshield back with the glass in it I am going to mount it to the header.
I purchased a windshield rubber set Part number A45502A from Berts. This kit has a preformed rubber seal that goes between the hinge and header.

Would it be better to use the Dum-Dum type material in place of the rubber hinge seal.
Jim,

I am not positive but I think the Dum Dum was used where there was no sealer, as the rubber type sealer, when it was used...I could be wrong.

However, I do not think it would harm to put a seal along with the rubber sealer supplied by Berts.

Better to be safe than sorry down the A/AA road.

Just my opinion.

Pluck
329s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
jan bogert

its what some call rope calk, not in a tube, but on a roll. most are lite grey. it stays plyable, and is soft when your handeling it. Ford used it a lot in the 60's you'll see it on mustangs, when you open the doors the sponge rubber that the top of the door glass lays against on the body. if you remove the sponge rubber, and the track that the rubber was in, dum dum is under it as the seal. JAN.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
Craig Lewis

Dud dum is butyl.
Black butyl comes on a roll in varying sizes and was used to set windshields up untill about 1970.
Not only does it conform into creases & uneven seams for a better seal, but also it exudes a slight petroleum trace into the surrounding metal which inhibites corrosion.
I can't think of anything better for above your windshield.
It also comes in caulking tubes and I believe it would be an excellent choice to seal around a new top between metal and fabric. I plan to use it under my roof tack strip as well.
Be cautious not to use silicone sealer on your car, as I've found it promotes rust.
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

Dum-Dum AKA strip caulking. You can get it at automotive paint and body supply stores. Comes in a box with several layers and a paper between the layers. Most I have used is black but can come light gray or neutral. Each strip is about 10 or 12 inches long. Used to seal around tail lights etc around the stud that holds the light to the body. Used properly it works very well.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:57 PM   #8
columbiA

On my S/W sedan I noticed that the WS would not quite close all the way .I removed the rubber hinge seal & replaced it with dum-dum & the WS closed much better. It seems the bottom flange of the WS was hitting somewhere in behind the dash rail.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #9
jan bogert

sorry Craig, i've been in auto glass 39 years, buytle is totally different.what your talking about is right, buytle, for setting w/s and b/glass's on most cars, comes on rolls from 1/4" 5/16" 3/8"and is only black. Marvin, the black around the tail lites is also buytle, but Marvin you are correct dum dum does come in strips with paper between, probally 4 or so strips and you can also get it in a half to 1" strips only comes in lite grey or naturel. JAN.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:51 AM   #10
dlshady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin/TN View Post
Dum-Dum AKA strip caulking. You can get it at automotive paint and body supply stores. Comes in a box with several layers and a paper between the layers. Most I have used is black but can come light gray or neutral. Each strip is about 10 or 12 inches long. Used to seal around tail lights etc around the stud that holds the light to the body. Used properly it works very well.

Yup, that's the stuff. Lots of handy uses in a restoration project.

http://3mcollision.com/3m-strip-calk-08578-black.html

Deron
dlshady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 11:30 AM   #11
Craig Lewis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan bogert View Post
sorry Craig, i've been in auto glass 39 years, buytle is totally different.what your talking about is right, buytle, for setting w/s and b/glass's on most cars, comes on rolls from 1/4" 5/16" 3/8"and is only black. Marvin, the black around the tail lites is also buytle, but Marvin you are correct dum dum does come in strips with paper between, probally 4 or so strips and you can also get it in a half to 1" strips only comes in lite grey or naturel. JAN.
Jan I've used the strip caulk product sold to body mechanics that's called "dum dum".
The longer "butyl" rolls for glass seem to be exactly the same substance, while opening your size options and eliminating the need to piece "little chunks" together.

3m seems to call the Strip Caulk butyl as well.

Maybe you're thinking about "putty tape" which is used to assemble RV's? Putty tape doesn't stretch in long strands like butyl so it lacks the adhesive qualities...otherwise an effective sealer with similiar corrosion inhibiting qualities.
Putty tape can be trimmed & cleaned up easier as well... so it's much more suitable on exposed edges of white RV's.
I've seen "putty tape" in gray & white.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...DS_08578_P.pdf
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:29 PM   #12
pick

Thanks for the info. I've known of "strip caulk" just never heard it called "dum dum" before
pick is offline   Reply With Quote