Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
AlfinCT

Default Grundy Insurance Has Been Sold

Guys, I have had Grundy (Chubb Underwritten) insurance on my A's and other cars. And, I've been a satisfied customer. I've found over the last few days Grundy is now part of Philadelphia Insurance. I've been trying to reach an agent for 3 days to make policy changes. Can't get through after two waits of 20 minutes each. Of course, you can do it on line.
Has anyone else had a similar experience or other difficulty with Grundy being sold? I'll probably switch. Who do you like?
AlfinCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
JohnW

Default Re: Grundy Insurance Has Been Sold

I have agreed value policies for my trucks through State Farm. They are fairly priced and you can get them on the phone.
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Bob from Northport

I had two cars insured with Grundy. Then I was informed that Philad. Indemnity had purchased them. I tried for four months to get through to make a policy change, and then received notice they had dropped the policy. Stay away from this company, no one knows what they are doing.
I was simply dropping one car from the policy since I had sold it.
I will check with JC Taylor or Haggerty soon.

Bob
Old 02-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #4
darrylkmc

I have my Phaeton insured through Grundy Insurance and I haven't been notified of any changes to date.

State Farm insures my '31 Pick-Up but declined to insure my '30 Phaeton because it is not "Restored"

Darryl in Fairbanks
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
'lilredcoupe

Send a message via AIM to 'lilredcoupe

I noticed on my insurance card for my Mercury, it says Philadelphia Indemnity. I'm planning on changing to Haggerty when my policy is due. Never had a problem, other than they don't like you driving much.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
mkmskm

Phil Idem had been the underwriter for sometime, they just took over the administration of the policies. What makes it more confusing is there is still Grundy Worldwide which is the old portion but can't insure a classic car unless you insure something else with them (like a boat).
mkmskm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
peters180a/170b

You know , i don't know what's going on with Insurance company's but i had Liberty Mutual since 1984 with no problems. I dropped 1 car off the policy and my daughter as a driver and last Oct they gave me my new total premium [ from $2,300 to $989.00] .So i received the bill 2 weeks ago for $1,289.00....And so i called and asked what happened to $989.00???? Well the rates have gone up.... $300.00 in 4 months??? Called GEICO and a done deal $879.00 same coverage. I have HAGGERTY on my "A"s ..VERY NICE people at the National meets to speak with...
peters180a/170b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
Gary WA

Haggerty is Great to work with. And you can drive your cars with no problems any time any day..
Old 02-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #9
Bruce Adams

There was a thread a couple of months ago with concurrence that Grundy was only handling carrs in Massachusets.
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #10
dfish2931nc

Send a message via ICQ to dfish2931nc

I just added a car to my Grundy policy. I had no problem once I got to the right site. If you go to Grundy Antique Car Insurance you will go to the wrong site. It makes you think you have to have everything insured through them. Go to "Grundy Worldwide" and you will be at the right place. I live in NC and they still insure my cars. You don't have to have anything but your antique cars insured with them. All the rumors are false. Everything went just like it used to when it was Grundy Antique Car Insurance. Grundy never did actually insure the cars. Philadelphia was the underwriter. They just cut out the middle man. We all have preferences, but I think it is wrong to badmouth a business on just rumor. I am a very happy Grundy Worldwide customer.
dfish2931nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #11
Ross/Kzoo

I've had Grundy for a couple of years now and one towing claim. When all this was going on 3-4 months ago I emailed them. Still haven't received a reply.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #12
Ron in Quincy

Philadelphia Indemnity has been the underwriter for Grundy for quite some time. Grundy, at this time, is only insuring high dollar cars. Philadelphia Indemnity Insurance is now the insurance co.

Philadelphia has notified California DMV that my A's are insured so I have been able to renew my registration on line. Have also had a claim in the past, dealt with Philadelphia who was the underwriter and had excellent service.

I am due to renew my coverage in late April, if I should have, or not have, a problem I will get back to the Barn .

Ron
Ron in Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #13
Old182

Been with American Collectors out of Cherry Hill NJ for over 20 years with no problems - but then again, no claims either. They scare me a little because American Collectors is now the "administrative office" for American Bankers of Florida who really owns the policy. My Allstate agent quoted almost the exact cost as American for a Haggerty policy and I'm really thinking about it after reading the good news about Haggerty on the Barn. Ah, another reason to drink!
Old182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #14
1931 flamingo

Grundy being sold was discussed here (or the EV8 site) a few months ago, do a search. I have Haggerty, done thru my local agent. I like to deal face to face.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #15
Afordman31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfinCT View Post
Guys, I have had Grundy (Chubb Underwritten) insurance on my A's and other cars. And, I've been a satisfied customer. I've found over the last few days Grundy is now part of Philadelphia Insurance. I've been trying to reach an agent for 3 days to make policy changes. Can't get through after two waits of 20 minutes each. Of course, you can do it on line.
Has anyone else had a similar experience or other difficulty with Grundy being sold? I'll probably switch. Who do you like?
I switched to Hagerty, at least when I called them someone was on the line and later even called me. I had been with Grundy since the late 80's. Never had a problem until last November, couldn't get (Philadelphia Indemnity) on the phone, had to wait, when I finally did get them they said they would get back to me, no way. I finally monkeyed with them for a month, then hooked up with Hagerty. No problems, all it took was less than three hours between the INTERNET and a couple of phone calls. I was at the Kalamazoo Michigan swap meet Saturday and Hagerty representatives were there.
Afordman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #16
pick

I have agreed upon value coverage for my "A" with my regular Nationwide agency. It's the cheapest vehicle on my poloicy & I can drive it any time / all I want. Very happy with the company.
pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #17
rickmass

I,am new to this site,didn,t know Grundy was sold.Rickmass
rickmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #18
Wallace

Just a note to say how good FARM BUREAU has been to me. They started carrying collector cars in our state, and I put all my insurance with them ....and saved a tub of money. I have had the first 3 homeowner claims (in 74 years) ...in the last 2 years. They have jumped up to make me happy.
Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #19
shall

I have Hagerty, but through an independant home/auto agent. Since I have his home telephone number along with his office and cell, it is never an issue to find him.
shall is offline   Reply With Quote