Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
28-31

Default Cast Iron Winfield High-Compression Head - what spark plugs were used originally?

Hello All:

I have a 1930 Ford Model A Roadster with a stock drivetrain. I'm adding some vintage speed equipment -- including an original cast iron Winfield high-compression head. It's the 7:1 "red head" model.

I've searched everything I can think of to see if the answer to my question is in the archives (here and on the HAMB), but haven't had any luck, so here it goes...

Anyone know which spark plug was original recommended by Winfield back in the 30's / 40's when these high-compression heads were new? I know they were 18mm, but that's about all I know. Maybe Champion C-7?

Any information at all about what plugs / heat range / etc. were originally recommended for these things would be great.

For those running the vintage heads now, by all means share what plugs you're using -- whether vintage or modern plugs.

If this has been addressed already and I missed it, my apologies -- and a link in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Jeff
28-31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #2
pick

Default Re: Cast Iron Winfield High-Compression Head - what spark plugs were used originally?

Purely as a point of reference, with my Brumfield 5.9-1 head I've always run Champion W18 with great results for all kinds of driving, from putting down to the ice cream stand to charging up a hill climb.
pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
28-31

Default Re: Cast Iron Winfield High-Compression Head - what spark plugs were used originally?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pick View Post
Purely as a point of reference, with my Brumfield 5.9-1 head I've always run Champion W18 with great results for all kinds of driving, from putting down to the ice cream stand to charging up a hill climb.
Thanks -- I appreciate the response. I'll check out the specs on the W18 to see it's performance characteristics for my own information -- but I believe the W18 is a 7/8" plug and the original Winfield heads take an 18mm.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
Jim Brierley

It is most likely an 18mm plug, which equates to a D series in Champion. I would use either a D-14 or D-16. The 16 is hotter, I use 14's in my Winfield 6:1. The pad on the top of the head near the water passage, between #1 & #2 plugs has the serial number, the first number is the compression ratio.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:03 AM   #5
just plain bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28-31 View Post
Thanks -- I appreciate the response. I'll check out the specs on the W18 to see it's performance characteristics for my own information -- but I believe the W18 is a 7/8" plug and the original Winfield heads take an 18mm.
I would go with the D series, I have used D 16 's with good results in other vintage cast iron heads and plan to start with that number in my Winfield "Crows Foot"

Last edited by just plain bill; 07-18-2012 at 11:16 AM.
just plain bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
28-31

Jim and Bill -- Thanks. Looks like the D-series Champions are the current series of what I'm after (from online, appears as though at least D-16 is the replacement for the old C7). I'll try D-14 or D-16 once I get the head installed and see how that goes.

I'm still on the quest to find some original Winfield documentation stating what he recommended when they were new, but this will definitely get me started.

Thanks again to all.

-Jeff
Old 07-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
Jim Brierley

Good luck on finding something like that. He was an extremely intelligent man but the only writing of his that I have ever seen was about his carbs.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #8
28-31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Good luck on finding something like that. He was an extremely intelligent man but the only writing of his that I have ever seen was about his carbs.
Agreed -- but I do recall seeing some advertising where Winfield was selling a carburetor (usually Model S or SR), high-compression head, and spark plugs as a package deal. The ad I recall seeing didn't list the specifications for any of the components -- but I'm hoping there are either some ads that do, or maybe there is a catalog detailing the specs for the various combo packages. We'll see...

Thanks
Old 07-21-2012, 04:54 PM   #9
OHV DeLuxe

I have a Winfield folder called "Winfield product for the Model A Ford" in my collection which says:
"Install 4 metric spark plugs.
With the No. 6 Head use Champion No. 7. Be sure to set the gap for each plug at .025.
With the No. 7 Head use Champion No. 13. Be sure to set the gap for each plug at .022."
OHV DeLuxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
Carter

Anyone have any info on old Champion plugs? I have some NOS ones, but only 2 of the No. 7's and none of the No 13's.

What I do have several of is 5m's and 6m's. The 6M has the electrode coming in from the side, but the 5M looks very similar to the 7's I have. The base is a different height and the top is different, but the depth looks about the same. Will have to check with a micrometer tomorrow.
Anyone know how the 5M compares to the No 7 or 13 otherwise? Wanting to use them in my cast iron Winfield 6:1 head.

Thanks to the OP for bringing this up.
Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 08:49 AM   #11
lindy williams

I'm using Autolite 386's in my Winfield cast iron crows foot head. They may be a little hot but after 6k miles of usage they run good. This is an 18mm plug used in early ford V8's.
lindy williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #12
Jim Brierley

Carter, Plugs with side electrodes are usually very cold plugs used in racing and will foul in normal street use. I would go with the D-14, the D-16 or the 386 as used by Lindy Williams (above)
Old 07-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #13
28-31

Thanks to all who have posted -- all valuable info for new and vintage plugs (special thanks to OHV DeLuxe for posting info from original literature).

To muddy the waters just a bit, I just pulled my original cast iron Winfield head (7:1) out of storage. I had forgotten that there were vintage plugs left it in (era unknown) -- all are unusuable and one is even broken off. The other three with porcelain intact are all Champion 8 COM (black writing, not red - if that makes a difference when trying to date them?)

I'll be checking online, but I'm curious if those are of the era, or if they are replacements for any of the vintage plugs described above, or if they are simply all that were available at whatever time they were installed?

Above all, I'll want mine to run good -- but, if I can have it running good using vintage correct (or vintage-looking) plugs, then all the better.

-Jeff
Old 07-23-2012, 04:56 PM   #14
Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
Carter, Plugs with side electrodes are usually very cold plugs used in racing and will foul in normal street use. I would go with the D-14, the D-16 or the 386 as used by Lindy Williams (above)
Thanks for the info. I will use a modern looking plug if I have to, but am trying to avoid it. How about the 5M pictured in my post? It appears to be very similar to the No. 7

Thanks,
Dave
Carter is offline   Reply With Quote