Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-22-2022, 12:42 PM   #21
Jim Brierley

Default Re: Magneto drive

[QUOTE=barrelnose;2159126]
Quote:
[IMG]http://IMG_4215.JPG

Tried to post pic but failed, I had a good look at the magneto and you are right about the reduction drive, the rotor button itself is geared and drives off the main shaft 2:1.
And yes, I’ll be using a steel crank gear. The are obviously designed to run at crank speed and can handle the revs.
Are you going to race an A/B engine? Where, and what kind of head? Just curious.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 08:50 AM   #22
barrelnose

Look up Red Dust Revival, that will explain where,
Just a standard engine, tightened up the bottom end, header and trying a upside down repo Riley updraft manifold running a 94 this time around.
Nothing flash, just a bit of fun.
I have a A motor that was in a race car from the 40s and 50s ,not sure what the head was as it came without one. B crank,large inlet valves and adjustable cam followers. Steel timing gear and unknown cam. I picked up a Lion 3 head for it and was planning a single seater to use it in but have had a hell of a 12 months so it didn’t happen. This is the motor I’m planning to fit the side drive model XH Wico mag on.
Just using a car I banged together in a few months to run back in 2019.
Basically a stock 28 chassis and running gear, it had been parked against a friends fence for 40 odd yrs and needed everything sorted on it to make it operational.
Fitted with a 27 T roadster pickup body with a speedster type rear end fashioned out of a couple of Chev truck hoods.
It’s running a Mallory single point I modified to fit the A and am planning to run the JEM 1590 in it this year. One could say I’m going backwards but it’s all about having a blast and giving it a go.

Last edited by barrelnose; 08-23-2022 at 09:02 AM.
barrelnose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 11:40 AM   #23
Jim Brierley

Very interesting, and sounds like a lot of fun! I hope the lake is more accessible than Gairdner is? Don't tighten the tighten up the lower end too much, you could be asking for trouble. Do you have a copy of my book? [email protected]
Old 08-23-2022, 07:48 PM   #24
barrelnose

A 7+ hour drive from my place, out into the Bush/desert with only a few miles of Bush track to reach the lake unlike the corrugated gravel road into Gairdener.
I tightened up the bottom end prior to the last meet 3 yr ago and drive it regularly since so all good there.
You sent me a copy of your book around a month ago which I have found interesting to read.
The lake,being a claypan ,once dry is like a billiard table 2 miles around and in a pear shape with one tightish corner and a large sweeper at the other end. After a day of running the Dust is like talcum powder and becomes very slippery which makes for a few sphincter moments let alone you can’t see past your grillshell a lot of the time.
My best in 19 was 66mph but am hoping for 70+ this year, main aim though is to drive back on the trailer after 7 days to fight another day.
Old 08-24-2022, 11:18 AM   #25
Jim Brierley

Thanks barrelnose! I've run on El Mirage here in SoCal, it is also slippery and tears up quickly, depending on how much rain it got over the winter. I hear it is wet now, unusual but can be a good thing. Good luck, and have fun!
Old 08-24-2022, 06:31 PM   #26
barrelnose

Cheers!