Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
kingsley

Default K&N air filter system

Saw this on Ebay. I did a forum search and didn't see anything. Any comments/reviews?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-A...#ht_997wt_1400
kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
Ron/IA

Default Re: K&N air filter system

K & N air filters are designed to flow air with the least amount of restriction (one of the best on the market, which is good for the Model A carburetor). They will flow a lot of said air, but still provide good cleaning qualities.

While I don't run one, several members in our club do, and they would not be talked out of them. They recommend changing the filter twice during the driving season (the filters are a little pricey.

The one thing I don't like about the design is putting the filter directly under the carburetor. But that point is mute when the carb is in good operating condition (no leaks).

Ron/IA

Hawk A Model A Ford Club
http://hawkamodelaclub.org/
Ron/IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
Paul in Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsley View Post
Saw this on Ebay. I did a forum search and didn't see anything. Any comments/reviews?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Model-A...#ht_997wt_1400
I have one of these on my 1930 Town Sedan with a good Zenith carburetor. It seems to work fine, with no noticeable side effects. As far as I can tell, it does not make the engine run rich. I would actually prefer a larger K&N filter, but this seems to work OK.

Paul
Paul in Colorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #4
Jim Brierley

K&N filters are designed to be cleaned, not replaced. They are washed with liquid soap and rinsed with a garden hose. When dry you spray a special oil on them. I run one in my Power Stroke diesel and love it.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
Fordors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron/IA View Post
While I don't run one, several members in our club do, and they would not be talked out of them. They recommend changing the filter twice during the driving season (the filters are a little pricey.
Ron/IA
Ron, why do they change the filters, (and especially twice, on what are likely low usage vehicles) when K&N touts their selling points as being long lasting, high efficiency filters? I have two on a hot rod and use the K&N filter wash and re-oil kit available at $14.95, those filters will out last me.
Fordors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #6
mhsprecher

I had one of the old paper kind and replaced it with one of these. As soon as I did, the car ran much better and did not run so rich. It was a huge improvement. I was at a show yesterday and a guy said that I should take it off and run without a filter. As far as I can tell, the K&N eliminated my problems and are less of a fire hazard, so until I can demonstrate that the car is running too rich, I will keep it on.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #7
H. L. Chauvin

Here is another K&N sold on Ebay that sits above the carburetor, neatly up against the fire wall.

Because of being up high, this filter cannot get soaked with dripping gasoline from a leaking carburetor when the car is parked; or get wet when gas drips from the carburetor when the carburetor is choked.

Have one with the Model A Tillotson, Zenith, "and" Model B carburetor connection/adaptors. Neat !

Ford Model A B air cleaner K&N filter system vintage new Tillotson Zenith Carb
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #8
Pinstripe

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. L. Chauvin View Post
Here is another K&N sold on Ebay that sits above the carburetor, neatly up against the fire wall.

Because of being up high, this filter cannot get soaked with dripping gasoline from a leaking carburetor when the car is parked; or get wet when gas drips from the carburetor when the carburetor is choked.

Have one with the Model A Tillotson, Zenith, "and" Model B carburetor connection/adaptors. Neat !

Ford Model A B air cleaner K&N filter system vintage new Tillotson Zenith Carb
H.L. I bought one of these based on your prior recommendation. These are excellent and I plan to use them on my other A's. Tom
Pinstripe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
glenn in camino

I have one of those on my 31 sport coupe. It doesn't seem to affect the way it runs And I believe it will keep my engine cleaner. I drilled a couple of small, (1/16") holes in the bottom of the curved pvc piece in case the carburetor leaked. So far, so good
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:32 PM   #10
Reds34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
K&N filters are designed to be cleaned, not replaced. They are washed with liquid soap and rinsed with a garden hose. When dry you spray a special oil on them. I run one in my Power Stroke diesel and love it.
Not to hijack the thread,but I've heard that K&N filters are actually not good to use on forced induction engines because of the way they work. I have a Power Stroke Diesel too, but I run a NAPA 6637 filter on it. Check this out:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum167/
Lots of reading if you haven't been there before.

Red
Reds34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:40 PM   #11
29er

Once again you Ford Barners have enlightened me! Henrietta came with one of the upright models (filter above carb), but I never knew how to service it. Amazon offers the filter care kit and replacement filters at a little lower price than what I found on Ebay. Thanks for the lesson! My car seems to run better with the filter than without, and I like the idea that the paper filter is ABOVE the carb.
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:57 AM   #12
H. L. Chauvin

1. Because internal combustion engines are similar to air pumps, the very most important factor for providing filtered air for any automobile is to have a filter large enough with enough free air flow that it will not restrict required incoming air flow. (Many buy Model A filters that are really too small & do not work).

2. The second most important factor for providing filtered air is the actual air filter material. (There are scientific engineer equations for calculating air flow through all types of air filters).

3. Rather than try to change anyone's minds; teach anyone anything about K & N filters; or try to explain why K & N filters can out perform Model A paper filters, K & N has a site entitled something like:

Facts You Should Know About K & N Filters

and a technical staff to answer questions.

4. If interested, one can learn lots about "all" types of air filters by reading & studying these K & N facts.

5. Lots of past incorrect information & myths were written on air filters for all types of vintage internal combustion engines.

6. If not interested in learning anything about Model A air filters, or any air filters, that is OK too -- each to his own.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote