Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #1
Colonel

Default 1929 Business Coupe - Help

I ran across a 1929 Business Coupe(oval window) I am considering purchasing. It seems pretty original. I found quite a bit of info about colors and production for the year in various books and web sites. I am not sure the engine is original but it does fall into an early '29 year production period. I was wondering if anyone knew if this body style(54a) was produced throughout the year beginning in January '29 or for just part of the year and if so when. I noticed there were 37,000 made.
Any help appreciated.
Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #2
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Re: 1929 Business Coupe - Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel View Post
I ran across a 1929 Business Coupe(oval window) I am considering purchasing. It seems pretty original. I found quite a bit of info about colors and production for the year in various books and web sites. I am not sure the engine is original but it does fall into an early '29 year production period. I was wondering if anyone knew if this body style(54a) was produced throughout the year beginning in January '29 or for just part of the year and if so when. I noticed there were 37,000 made.
Any help appreciated.
I think it was produced all of 1929...just when the conversion was from non-oval (1928) to oval window (1929) is unknown but I think with a little research and knowing the part number for the oval window assembly, one can come pertty close as to its introduction.

Domesticly there were 37,644 produced. They stoped making them when the 1930 models were starting to be produced.

Hope you can check the frame/engine number, gas tank date and assembly plant code on the car.

Personally, I think the oval window Business Coupe was the best looking "coupe" style that FORD did...I envy you!

According to the MAFFI site...the A54120 Frame (quarter light) Assembly was established with Part Release # 54120 on October 26, 1928...just how soon this assembly made it on to the car itself is anybody guess.

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 05-11-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
Lycoming-8

To help document when the transition may have occured, I can tell you that I have a February 1929 NON oval window Business coupe. The date on the firewall / gas tank is 2-xx-29, and the engine is stamped A 1071511. In a discussion here earlier this year, I believe it was stated that sometime in March was the generally accepted date for start of the oval window cars.
Lycoming-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:19 AM   #4
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycoming-8 View Post
To help document when the transition may have occured, I can tell you that I have a February 1929 NON oval window Business coupe. The date on the firewall / gas tank is 2-xx-29, and the engine is stamped A 1071511. In a discussion here earlier this year, I believe it was stated that sometime in March was the generally accepted date for start of the oval window cars.
And that is more than likely correct.

In looking at A54125: Frame (quarter light) inside, it also states that on October 26, 1928 that it was released...but then it was revised somewhat on February 14, 1929 and then on March 27, 1929 to just what the revision was I do not know but could have been actually released for production on one of those two dates.

Do you know the assembly plant code and the numbers following?

Pluck

Last edited by Steve Plucker; 05-12-2012 at 04:28 AM.
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
Lycoming-8

Steve, I sure don't know the plant code or assy number. It was purchased in Lawrenceburg, Ind many years ago, so could be either Indianapolis or Cincinnati plants. At least they are the most likely. I really should look for those code letters and numbers, and if I find them I will post them here.
Lycoming-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 10:40 PM   #6
700rpm

There is a social group here dedicated to the 54-A:
http://fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=60

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote