Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-06-2022, 07:13 PM   #1
Grumps

Default Steering Wheel removal (update)

I'm currently trying to rebuild the steering and can't get the steering wheel to come loose. I have the steering wheel puller that is sold by Snyder's but still can't get it to turn loose. Anyone have any good suggestions on the removal?

Grumps

Last edited by Grumps; 08-08-2022 at 06:53 PM.
Grumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 08:26 PM   #2
GRutter

Default Re: Steering Wheel removal

Yes - be patient and careful. Very easy to break off the threads that hold the wheel on.
GRutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 10:13 PM   #3
Big hammer

The the car, pull up on one side of the wheel while pushing down on the other side, back and fourth. Don’t forget to have the nut on loosely or the wheel will jump off and hit your nose ! Please don’t ask how I know about the wheel hitting my nose
Old 08-06-2022, 10:15 PM   #4
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumps View Post
I have the steering wheel puller that is sold by Snyder's but still can't get it to turn loose. Grumps
Turn loose? it's not screwed on, it's on splines with the nut on top to keep it in place.
Old 08-07-2022, 07:23 AM   #5
Grumps

I have the Mechanics Handbook by Les Andrews which shows and explains the two ways of removing the 2-tooth steering box from the car for overhaul and I chose to remove it with everything still together thru the cab, so I really don't have a way of doing it the way that you suggested it Big Hammer. That is the way I have always use when removing a steering wheel. I stated that I couldn't get it to TURN loose meaning that I couldn't get the wheel to break free of the steering shaft. I know that the steering wheel doesn't screw onto the shaft. I have it on my work bench but may reinstall it in the car to so that I can use the method of removal that Big Hammer suggested because the puller isn't working.
Old 08-07-2022, 11:51 AM   #6
Phil Brown

If it's all out of the car lay a blanket on the floor (to protect the wheel) then stand the wheel and column upright, both feet on the wheel and wiggle the column like an old fence post. Should break it free
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:23 PM   #7
supergnat

I just did that job on a 29 two tooth steering column. I put the column base on a piece of thick foam rubber to protect it and lightly clamped the column in my wood working vice. Be sure to keep the nut screwed on a few threads so you don’t damage them or your face. The wobbling method idi not work for me. I used an old estate sale wheel puller and two large C-clamps(see photo). This method worked well. In my case I wasn’t concerned about damaging the steering wheel since I was salvaging parts for from my car. This worked for me nd I didn’t damage the steering wheel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F922CE81-E59A-4584-802D-9AA65F58D7D1.jpg (59.2 KB, 74 views)
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 11:23 PM   #8
Phil Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergnat View Post
I just did that job on a 29 two tooth steering column. I put the column base on a piece of thick foam rubber to protect it and lightly clamped the column in my wood working vice. Be sure to keep the nut screwed on a few threads so you don’t damage them or your face. The wobbling method idi not work for me. I used an old estate sale wheel puller and two large C-clamps(see photo). This method worked well. In my case I wasn’t concerned about damaging the steering wheel since I was salvaging parts for from my car. This worked for me nd I didn’t damage the steering wheel.
Better than how I got mine off recently but mine was still in the car and trying not to damage the wheel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20220628_154225.jpg (51.5 KB, 83 views)
Phil Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 07:05 PM   #9
Grumps

Default Re: Steering Wheel removal (update)

Well I got the wheel off and want to let everyone know how I did it. After trying everyone's advice I talked to a man I know, and he told me to drill and thread two holes in the metal part of the wheel on both sides of the steering wheel nut and use a two-bolt puller. Well, it worked just like he said. I had it off in no time and now I can start the rebuild on the steering box,
Old 08-08-2022, 10:19 PM   #10
Robbie Horn

Default Re: Steering Wheel removal (update)

I pulled 2 very rusty & stuck ones off by using a Snap On puller & wrapping a 2 inch nylon tie down strap around the center of the steering wheel. I soaked them down with PB Blaster for a couple hours before I did this. It worked really good. No damage to anything. Both steering wheels & columns are reuseable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg steering wheel.jpg (51.1 KB, 58 views)
Robbie Horn is offline   Reply With Quote