Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-14-2022, 09:51 AM   #1
g8t gr&dads A

Default Radiator cap fit/filler tube length

I have been investigating my '29 Tudor radiator as I had a need to remove it. I have noticed that someone has altered the shell (drilling extra mounting holes) to make it fit. By making some adjustments I can get a better fit on the shell but now fill tube seems to be too short, the radiator cap will not screw on. Plus the radiator cap appears to be a little larger diameter than the fill tube. The tapered threads on the fill tube engage after the cap is about half way on. Was this loose fit of the radiator cap designed that way? How long is the fill tube extend out of the upper radiator tank? Mine sticks out 1-1/2". Thanks for your responses.
g8t gr&dads A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 04:29 PM   #2
john in illinois

Default Re: Radiator cap fit/filler tube length

Welcome to the Barn. A picture would help. A 29 radiator and a 30 radiator are different heights with croresponding shells. Could be a mismatch. Something odd about extra hole in shell.

John
Old 07-15-2022, 05:47 PM   #3
g8t gr&dads A

I'll work on pictures but have not tried it before. I have read that '30 radiators are 2" higher than a '29 but have not found the correct height for any radiator to measure mine against. I did see a post where someone measured the '29 shell at 27-1/2" overall height and mine matches that dimension. Any thoughts on why the radiator cap is such a sloppy fit?
Old 07-15-2022, 08:43 PM   #4
Joe K

Three loose radiators locally to include:
A 1928ish "Funnel Top" radiator of the original pattern design.
A 1929 radiator which might be "original" but certainly a "straight tube" radiator of either original or period replacement.
A 1929 pattern radiator of the period aftermarket "Honeycomb" pattern.

The top fill pipe of all three of these measure a skosh (technical term) under 1-1/2 inches protrusion above the tank top surface. One might say positively 1-1/2 when a gasket is considered.

Now on all of these the thread "tapers" slightly - possibly as an "aid" to starting the radiator cap into place - but I would not consider the fit "loose." You can tell it is "tightening" as you go a few turns. No more than three.

Joe K
Old 07-17-2022, 04:04 PM   #5
g8t gr&dads A

Does anyone have any dimensions for the '29 radiator? I have searched the web and Brassworks website and have come up empty handed.

Some details that I have observed on my radiator:
1. The core does not match any of the cores listed in the '89 Judging Standard. My core has 59 oval tubes that are 3/4" x 1/16". 30 tubes in one row and 29 in the second row. (I'm thinking great grandpa had this re-cored at a local mechanic shop with a more modern core. It doesn't look very pretty either. Who knows what kind of efficiency I'm getting from this core.)
2. The distance between the bottom of the top tank and the top of the bottom tank is 19-3/4". Is this a correct dimension?
3. The upper tank is 4" tall.
4. I am able to get all 4 of the shell bolts into the radiator holes but the bottom of the shell has to be forced back into position. The top of the shell is tight against the upper tank holding the bottom of the shell out causing the need to force it into position. (attachment494621) From the Brassworks site, it looks like the front of the upper tank is flush with the front of the side rails. My side rails are about 1/4" back from the front of the tank.
5. The bottom of the radiator covers about 1/2" of the crank opening in the shell and interferes with the mounting of the starting crank bearing. (attachment 494622)
6. If I set my radiator cap on the filler tube to where the threads are touching and ready to engage, I measure 1-1/8" from the bottom of the cap to the upper tank. (attachment 494619) Without the cap being on, I measure 1-1/16" from the upper tank to the bottom thread on the filler tube. (attachment 494618) A 1/16" difference and my cap gets tight against the gasket after 1-1/4 turns. Attachment 494620 shows how much of the filler tube extends out of the shell.

I have attached some jpeg pictures but I'm not confident they transferred correctly. Lets hope so. The post preview shows them.

All you thoughts and comments on this radiator are appreciated.

pic 1.jpg

pic 2.jpg

pic 3.jpg

pic 4.jpg

pic 5.jpg
Old 07-17-2022, 04:52 PM   #6
john in illinois

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
A 1930 radiator shell is 31.5 “ from bottom to top in the center from front. A 1928-9 shell would be an inch or so shorter I think. It sounds to me like the radiator does not fit. I would get a different one.

John
Old 07-17-2022, 07:04 PM   #7
GRutter

Where is your front spring clamp / ubolts?
GRutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 08:40 PM   #8
g8t gr&dads A

GRutter, it has been temporarily removed for painting and the starting crank bearing keeps the bottom of the radiator from sitting on its pads. So, if I figure out the radiator dimensions and correct the radiator I anticipate the bearing to fit like it should.