Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-24-2021, 01:34 PM   #21
redmodelt

Default Re: Shipping Charges

Grayhound could be an option, till you try and find a station to ship from/too.
Old 12-24-2021, 02:12 PM   #22
7_Zero

Unfortunately it is going to get worse too. On Dec 26th, UPS will be increasing 5.4% and in January FedEx will have a 5.9% increase.
7_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 02:34 PM   #23
Brubaker

For larger goods (maybe the same for smaller packages) there is a minor cost savings if you can ship to a business address (via UPS, FedEx that is).
It's a competitive market out there. If we all dig our heels in the sand and seek out the cheapest shipping rates(and avoid the gougers) hopefully the higher-cost vendors will adjust their business model.
I was skeptical about Bert's initially (not knowing the exact shipping cost at the time of purchase), but they are very fair and I think that is a great model (just my two cents of course).
Brubaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 06:21 PM   #24
dansluck

Send a message via AIM to dansluck Send a message via Yahoo to dansluck

Santa could help you out with the shipping this time of the year!! But you have to be GOOD.
dansluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 09:10 PM   #25
gdmn852

Hello, I am fortunate that I live only a few hours away from Snyders so I just drive there also a good restaurant in Columbiana the Dutch House so that keeps my wife happy. Shipping is getting expensive even on EBay always check shipping before I buy. Watch for the drop shipped from suppliers also . On my Buick needed the inside firewall pad so ordered it from one of the major Buick parts vendor that said I could pick up at the Buick National show ,however it was shipped from the place that made it for 85 in shipping, they never stock them.
gdmn852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 10:02 PM   #26
GRutter

Fastenal is a great option for heavy or large parts. Just shipped a pallet of parts from Maryland to Charlotte for $105 using them. Weight, Size, and Distance (and occasionally rural area surcharges) affect the rates of all packages from all carriers. Sometimes the best rate is Priority Mail Flat-Rate - for small, heavy items.
GRutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 08:04 AM   #27
Colonial coupe

I tried to get a answer on the Burtz engine thread about shipping cost but no replys. I suggested to my wife that we just have it shipped instead of driving out to Kentucky, she says that what she's seeing with shipping cost at work it's cheaper to drive out there and pick it up. Costs have gone out of sight on the size and quantity that she deals with at her job. Crazy times we are living in.
Colonial coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 07:02 PM   #28
GRutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonial coupe View Post
I tried to get a answer on the Burtz engine thread about shipping cost but no replys.
While everyone's shipping costs will likely be different, my shipping costs for the block kit and flywheel to Charlotte NC were $209, which I thought was reasonable.
GRutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 06:13 AM   #29
Colonial coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRutter View Post
While everyone's shipping costs will likely be different, my shipping costs for the block kit and flywheel to Charlotte NC were $209, which I thought was reasonable.
Thank you, that's much less than we expected.
Colonial coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 12:28 PM   #30
ThosD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A Ron View Post
The post office looses millions and millions of dollars so if they are cutting rates it’s just a bigger loss in the future. If the post office was private they would have been out of business many years back.
USPS is required to front load retirement benefit funds before they are needed by employees. This in itself is a major reason for the red ink at USPS. The US postal service is the lowest common denominator communication vehicle available. Nobody needs internet technology to mail a letter.
ThosD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 04:32 PM   #31
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThosD View Post
USPS is required to front load retirement benefit funds before they are needed by employees. This in itself is a major reason for the red ink at USPS. The US postal service is the lowest common denominator communication vehicle available. Nobody needs internet technology to mail a letter.
I haven't heard the term "front loading" for retirement benefits but that is basically what happens here. It used to be that public servants retired on a % of their final salary and as wages went up, so did their benefit. That was stopped back in the 1980s. Since then, a % of any employees salary is paid into a superannuation fund each pay period (front loaded). The goal is for the employee to have accumulated enough to provided them a retirement income. I'm surprised USPS still does things that way. Is it the same throughout the public service?
Old 12-26-2021, 05:24 PM   #32
Crankster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThosD View Post
USPS is required to front load retirement benefit funds before they are needed by employees.
Whoever made them do that did them a favor.

Quote:
This in itself is a major reason for the red ink at USPS.
Not really. Most people have no idea just how bad their financial situation is, pre-paying into their retirement doesn't matter a whit to their red ink.
Crankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 11:08 PM   #33
ThosD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankster View Post
Not really. Most people have no idea just how bad their financial situation is, pre-paying into their retirement doesn't matter a whit to their red ink.
The USPS obligation is not the same as an individual paying into an IRA or a 401K. Read the content of the following link if you are interested:
https://about.usps.com/who-we-are/fi...2010_4_002.htm
ThosD is offline   Reply With Quote