Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2024, 10:09 PM   #1
busmania

Default Started wiring my 40 today…some questions

I’ve never really been an electrical guy but here goes. I bought all new Rhode Island wiring about a year ago and I’m starting to install it. They really couldn’t make it much easier (so far). Anyway, I do have a few questions.

1. Where does the body harness transition from engine area to under car? Is it between the frame and brake line? Or frame and inner fender? Same thing, where does it re emerge in the trunk area?

2. Headlight switch. There are 4 terminals, none of which are labeled. How do I know I’m putting the right wire in the right terminal?

3. Does anyone sell new circuit breaker/resistor?

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2024, 10:12 AM   #2
pistonbroke

Default Re: Started wiring my 40 today…some questions

? 2, use your ohm meter and pull the switch out one click you should have continuity between three terminals, mark them P or park, Now pull the switch out all the way to the head light position. Check again. Three will have continuity ,two of which will be the same. The two that had continuity in both positions are your power supply and tail lights the other is head lights. Now push the switch all the way back in to the off position. Then check for continuity between them and the park or headlight terminal. The one that shows continuity will be your tail light wire. I hope this makes sense and helps,Tim By the way congats on buying the best wiring harness out there.
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 12:31 PM   #3
JayChicago

I installed Rhode Island harnesses on a '40 a couple years ago:

1. Body harness connects to the front harness in the frame rail just aft of the firewall, under the headlight foot switch. Install the front harness first and make connections to the foot switch, which is tight quarters. Then connect the body harness to the front harness.
Body harness runs along the frame rail to near the taillight. Does not emerge at the rear, all connections are under the car. One separate wire does emerge, the license plate wire, which goes up to trunk lid hinge thru a small hole in the trunk floor.

2. For which terminals on the light switch feed what, would have to look at my switch and I am not near the car now. Maybe someone else can look. Or figure it out using a continuity tester per pistonbroke's directions.

3. Third Generation Autoparts has a NOS circuit breaker/resistor listed for sale right now.

Last edited by JayChicago; 02-07-2024 at 12:51 PM.
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 12:44 PM   #4
busmania

Nice. Bought the resistor from 3rd gen. Is there a fuse somewhere? Also, is the resistor required if using aftermarket electronic ignition (stromberg efire…flame away)?

For The light switch wiring someone pointed out on Facebook I can use the photo from most major parts supplier light switch/harness to see where they go. That should get me there along with pistonbroke’s suggestions.

If anyone has a photo of where the single license wire comes out in the trunk area, that would help me!

Thanks y’all!
Old 02-07-2024, 02:47 PM   #5
Kube

If anyone has a photo of where the single license wire comes out in the trunk area, that would help me!

Thanks y’all![/QUOTE]

Here ya go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN6770.jpg (66.4 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN8589.jpg (53.5 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1073.jpg (63.0 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2272.jpg (38.3 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN1070.jpg (51.3 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Kube; 02-07-2024 at 02:54 PM. Reason: added photos
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2024, 03:27 PM   #6
Fritz

Quote:
Originally Posted by busmania View Post
Nice. Bought the resistor from 3rd gen. Is there a fuse somewhere? Also, is the resistor required if using aftermarket electronic ignition (stromberg efire…flame away)?
Double check your Stromberg or Pertronix instructions, but I believe all electronic ignitions require full voltage, so you will probably bypass the ignition resistor.
Cars and metal rust away and are destroyed, but the Word of God will stand forever (Isaiah 40:8, Matthew 24:35).
Fritz is offline   Reply With Quote