Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2013, 06:35 AM   #1
Gino

Default Everyone's got an opinion!

Hi folks, I'm just about ready to paint my 31" pickup. I'm considering olive green with a dulling agent. My idea is that I would like the truck to look it's age. It will be a driver and I do mean every day. So I'm looking for opinions, what do you think of the color( mail truck olive green) and my idea of a dulling agent. Thanks a lot. Oh by the way I have many opinions just ask!
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 06:48 AM   #2
TonyM

Default Re: Everyone's got an opinion!

Can't go wrong with Henry Ford black.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #3
bart78

It's yours. Paint it what you want. Not what we want. I myself am fond of two tone a's. black fenders and olive green body. I like paint shiny. So I would not dull.
bart78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #4
rosenkranswa

You're pretty close to how Ford painted his commercials, Rock Moss green (a bit greener than Olive, but close), black fenders, with the paint not rubbed out, so it was a little dull. There was a wonderful panel delivery at Oshkosh in fine point judging painted that way - I thought it looked pretty cool.

'19 T Speedster
'26 T Touring
'29 A Roadster
'30 AA Stakebed
'30 A Pickup
'30 A Town Sedan
'31 A Station Wagon
'38 Columbia Girls bike (WWII)
'40 Elgin Boys bike (WWII)
'42 Super Deluxe Tudor
'42 Willys MB Jeep
'43 Willys MBT Trailer
'43 M3A4 Hand Cart
'43 Harley Davidson 42WLA with sidecar
rosenkranswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Hunter

That would be Rock Hill Will's (Will Cronkrite's) vehicle. A beautiful example. I found that painting using a flattening agent is tricky. I only had to do this in limited areas of my coupe (firewall, interior gas tank, etc). I used a flattening agent and had a difficult time achieving the same sheen from batch to batch even tough I was extremely careful about mixing the components the same. I finally had the paint supplier mix the paint in an eggshell sheen and my results were consistent.

The other problem with the flattening agent is that if you have a problem (run, trash in paint, etc) you cannot sand it out and make it blend into the surrpounding area. Anything you do results in the area you are working on developing a gloss greater than the surrounding area. I had to have perfect sprays when I painted these small areas.

My greatest respect to Will as his entire vehicle had to have the perfect spray job first time out! Quite an accomplishment.

I used PPG Concept in my endeavors. I am a novice at this painting business so value my comments accordingly.

Hunter
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
Hunter

Clarification - The paint mived by my paint supplier in eggshell also would not allow you to fix runs and remove dirt as it would also "shine up". But it did allow me to get consistent sheen.

Hunter
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #7
mccsix

Here's Rock Moss and black with a shine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A arriving 005 (Small).jpg (69.0 KB, 80 views)

USN
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
jhowes

I ran into a guy that painted hes PU gray and then the black fenders and green body over the gray. His goal was to have a truck that looked 80 years old so he then sanded lightly over the high crowns until the gray started to show through. This made it look like it was just worn from age.
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #9
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter View Post
Clarification - The paint mived by my paint supplier in eggshell also would not allow you to fix runs and remove dirt as it would also "shine up". But it did allow me to get consistent sheen.

Hunter
The problem I have found is the "sheen" is affected by the mil thickness (amount of coats). I tried to do a '28 RPU in single-stage and keep it dust free, ...and I finally gave up. I could get it consistent but there was trash, -or I could make it trash-free by not running the fan however the sheen varied because we were painting pieces separately due to the fog.

If I were to do it again going for that effect, I think I would just shoot the truck in lacquer and make it look exactly like what it is supposed to be where mil thickness would not affect the sheen.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
ronn

Used an antiquing kit on my 07 maxwell and it came out great.... so I like where you're headed.
put on flat black and then a dull green quickly on top and it checked all over the place.
Looks 100 years old. (no worries about anyone scratching it and saved enough to buy more cars....)
Maybe consider a flat green olive from rustoleum and brush it on, and lighly sand spots off.... around door entries, hood edges and such.
Antiquing has been going on in the Mercer community for several years now, so why not with A's....?
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 02:22 PM   #11
29restorod

Paint is the biggest investment in time and money. Do it the right way the first time, and use only correct factory colors. Yes it's your car, but it is also your familys investment, someday it will need to be sold. Incorrect colors will cost lots of dollars in the future. Fake patina, and wrong colors will need to be redone by a new buyer. When I look at a car with wrong colors, I knock off 5K right off the top.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #12
Big John

I understand commercial vehicles can be painted any color upon factory special order..... not so with common autos...
Big John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #13
Smurkey

Here's my tip:

If you want to paint it a matte finish you might consider going to a commercial/fleet paint store rather than the auto-body shop. I was painting a '37 Plymouth for my dad that he was doing up like an army staff car and he wanted OD flat/matte paint, after being told by the auto-body paint store that a duller would have to be added to an expensive glossy paint to achieve the result (almost $500 bucks a gallon). We went to the local fleet-paint supplier and walked out with a gallon of OD matte paint and a pint of hardener for about 65 bucks. Would have been less if we'd have brought our own containers.

The paint laid out nice and is holding up very well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0243.jpg (55.0 KB, 33 views)
Smurkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:42 PM   #14
columbiA

I painted a 31 ccpu with a chain store brand of a Rustoleum type paint & thinned it with ordinary paint thinner.The result was a satin finish of Hunter Green & it only cost about $40 for paint.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #15
Bluebell

Semi gloss and flat paint are porous. Put another way, they let the moisture in to the steel. Just info for your consideration.
Bluebell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #16
Gino

Well thanks for advise. I think I'll play it safe and just order the paint as it comes. My wife and I like the olive, so I guess thats it. I'd better order it quick before I change my mind.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote