Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-13-2015, 09:39 AM   #1
Johnnydidd

Default Installing AC on 53 Victoria

I purchased from Vintage Air all the parts to install AC, if I have overheating problem. I have alum heads, if I remove the alum heads and install stock heads will that reduce the heat of the engine?
Johnnydidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:25 AM   #2
Krylon32

Default Re: Installing AC on 53 Victoria

I always thought aluminum heads were supposed to run cooler? If there is a problem you may need to increase the airflow thru the condenser and radiator, especially at low speeds.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 10:48 AM   #3
40cpe

Did the overheating start after the A/C installation? If so, I agree that more air flow is needed. I don't think properly operating aluminum heads would increase engine heating.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Aluminum heads conduct heat away from the engine, the only way they would increase engine heat is if they increase the CR. I would start the normal checks: water pumps, good flow through the radiator, clean block, proper fan and fan location AND air flow through the radiator and maybe a shroud around the fan.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:15 AM   #5
HELENT

Good Evening,

If you have not started to install your vintage air. Take my advice and install the condenser under the front bumper. I had nothing but problems with mine mounted in front of the radiator. It ran 210 in front of the radiator, and 180 under front bumper. Looked in my picture album and you will see pictures of it.
That is the best way to go in my opinion. It solved my problem.
HELENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:24 AM   #6
Merc Cruzer

You might want to change your radiator to the one for Ford-O-Matic cars.
Standard trans - 8005-A - 11 1/2 fins per inch
Auto trans - 8005-B - 13 1/2 fins per inch
8005-D 11 fins per inch- extra cooling
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:44 PM   #7
chap52

When I added the a/c unit to my '52 truck I also changed (as advised by a/c provider) to 180 degree thermostats and added a temp controlled electric cooling fan. That has been about seven years ago and I have never had it overheat. I live in the Tucson Arizona area.
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:52 PM   #8
JWL
Member Emeritus

A few comments:
First, you ask "IF" there are overheating problems---I don't understand?? Do you have a overheat problem?

Next, there is incorrect information provided regarding higher compression ratios contributing to overheating. Actually, the opposite is true. For a complete understanding of why and how I suggest you read my book.

Finally, the difference between aluminum and iron heads, with regard to overheating, is very slight if all design factors are equal. So, if the engine is overheating a change in material chemistry is unlikely to make a noticeable coolant temperature difference. Again, with all chamber dimensions being equal.

Finally, there is no substitute for the proper size and flow radiator and, naturally, good airflow is also important.
JWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 02:42 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

"there is incorrect information provided regarding higher compression ratios contributing to overheating. Actually, the opposite is true. For a complete understanding of why and how I suggest you read my book".

I do have your book, so will have to check that out! I would think anytime you are extracting more energy you are increasing heat (energy = heat), but I will wait and reread that section (must have missed it the first time). There are conditions for sure where increased engine heat is not producing usable power, like incorrect timing.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 03:05 PM   #10
Johnnydidd

I have had overheating problems when I first got the car, I changed both water pumps to high volume pumps, changed both thermostat to 160 deg, changed the core to four core staggered every 1/2 inch. I am using 4lb radiator cap. I am not having a problem now. I can run the car 80 mph in overdrive temperature 160 deg, ambient temp around 65 deg. I will have the unit installed next Thursday, I am just looking for a way out if problem occurs. Thanks for the info guys. John
Johnnydidd is offline   Reply With Quote