Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-02-2011, 11:20 AM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Pros and Cons on painting the inside of engines, carbs...

Just what are the pros and cons of painting the insides of engines, carbs, etc.,???

If the paint starts to peal for one reason or the other, I can just amagine the outcome.

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #2
Freddie (Memphis)

Default Re: Pros and Cons on painting the inside of engines, carbs...

Good question, Steve...I certainly don't claim to know all the answers, but there seems to be a lot of professional engine rebuilders who like to use "Glyptal" on the insides of rebuilt blocks. From what I've read, Glyptal seals the inside of the block and fills in any open pores, giving the oil less resistance when sloshing around in there. Also, any microscopic pores that could result in leaks are supposedly sealed. I would imagine any block must be totally clean and grease/oil free, however, or I suspect any paint would simply peel off over time and wind up wrapped around cranks and draped off the big ends...which, of course, this brings us to the point of your inquiry.

So...guys, I'd like to know, too...what are the pros and cons? Why use something like Glyptal....? Inquiring minds want to know...

PS...I've read where it was used extensively in WWII inside of engines, both electric and combustion. Some say it's hard to find, but Eastwood has it in every catalog, so I dunno...maybe someone's just not looking hard enough.

I'm still doin' the rhumba, Baby...I just can't seem to quit. If momma catches us doin' the rhumba....momma would just pitch a fit. I can't help myself....it's much bigger than me. If I were you I'd hang on to a rhumba man like me...!

Last edited by Freddie (Memphis); 03-02-2011 at 02:01 PM.
Freddie (Memphis) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
LukeDahlinger
BANNED

I see no need for it and can't think of any legit reason to use glyptal other than to line the pocket of the engine rebuilder. It's a high profit 'upsell' and makes things look 'pretty' for better eye appeal. The common argument is "it helps the oil get back to the pan faster". I've never heard of an engine locking up because all the oil was stuck to the sides of the block!

There are other arguments in favor of glyptal such as 'it keeps your engine clean' - so does changing your oil on a regular basis. Also "it helps seal pores in the block" - not so sure about that. If you have a block with porosity maybe you should get another block.

A few years back I tore an A engine down where someone painted the crank, rods, and every interior surface with glyptal. It's a shame they spent all the money on glyptal and RTV silicone instead of buying a matched set of pistons- all the pistons were mismatched, and some other parts appeared to be cannibalized from motors sitting out in a field for 30 yrs.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:34 PM   #4
Special Coupe Frank

I would definitely NOT paint the inside of a carb... that's just asking for grief down the road...
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:02 PM   #5
Glenn C.

Glyptal would not be a good product to use inside the carb. A very good product that can be used is Sikkens Wash Primer. When mixed 1/1, the wash primer is almost bullit-proof. Use pipe cleaners to get into small ports. Expensive to say the least.....unless you and your friends have a lot of other parts to prep for painting. Even if you still decide to use a high end primer.....do not follow with any paint. Wear breathing apparatus. A must. Not good for human consumption through any orifice.
Glenn C. is offline   Reply With Quote